Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Will Renew your vows time jump make it similar to the Mc-2 Spider-girl world ?

Given the upcoming time-jump in Renew your vows, is it just me or is anyone else wondering if we're going to be seeing history repeat itself again with Peter and MJ having a teenage daughter with spider powers to take care of ?

As fans of the Peter and MJ marriage, the Renew your vows series and the previous MC-2 Spider-girl series: What do you think of this ?

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

The core difference was that in the MC2 world Peter had already retired as Spider-Man for some time, not to mention the fact that MJ had no powers of her own. But there are some similarities, yes. I am slightly disappointed that we won't get to see the younger Annie travel over to the MC2 universe and have May as something of a big sister. But May has matured a fair bit since her first appearance, so I would say that we're see some differences in Annie since she'll still only be about 16 years old.

RYV has time jumped a fair bit over the run with Annie, going from baby to 5ish to 8ish to 16ish now.

The fact that Peter Parker as Spider-Man is still the main character and protagonist is a huge difference. But yes, there will be many similarities. The dynamic will be different, but it will still be Peter and Mary Jane Parker with a teenage daughter.

I don't know how much of a problem that will be. MC2 Spider-Girl has been out of publication for quite some time. It's not like anybody will have to choose between Annie or May.

Indirectly, it is an implicit problem in the sense that Marvel's long-term commitment to Renew Your Vows and Annie is presumably no greater than its long-term commitment to Spider-Girl and May. Which is to say, there is no long-term commitment at all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Given the upcoming time-jump in Renew your vows, is it just me or is anyone else wondering if we're going to be seeing history repeat itself again with Peter and MJ having a teenage daughter with spider powers to take care of ?
    I really don't see the point of continuously comparing the two. The differences between RYV and MC2 are night and day.

Peter is active as Spider-Man, his wife fights crime alongside him, they and Annie have been working as an experienced crime fighting unit since she was eight years old, far younger than when Mayday had begun her own journey in her mid-teens with her mother powerless and her father retired with only the occasional dips back into active service (which eventually stopped when MJ put her foot down)

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I really don't see the point of continuously comparing the two. The differences between RYV and MC2 are night and day.

Peter is active as Spider-Man, his wife fights crime alongside him, they and Annie have been working as an experienced crime fighting unit since she was eight years old, far younger than when Mayday had begun her own journey in her mid-teens with her mother powerless and her father retired with only the occasional dips back into active service (which eventually stopped when MJ put her foot down)
    And if the teased art is any indication, a teenage Annie is going to be a lot different then Mayday was.

I've seen this question a lot. I don't see how that's going to be the case. As pointed out before, the premises are different (an Incredibles-like family superhero team vs. a lone teen superhero comic). Many people, myself included, have never read Spider-Girl. Besides, given that Spider-Girl was well-liked and out of publication and out of print, how is it a bad thing that it has a spiritual successor? If nothing else, people who like RYV might want to track down old Spider-Girl comics (before the RYV ongoing was announced, I was seriously considering tracking it down due to liking the original RYV mini).

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    The core difference was that in the MC2 world Peter had already retired as Spider-Man for some time, not to mention the fact that MJ had no powers of her own. But there are some similarities, yes. I am slightly disappointed that we won't get to see the younger Annie travel over to the MC2 universe and have May as something of a big sister. But May has matured a fair bit since her first appearance, so I would say that we're see some differences in Annie since she'll still only be about 16 years old.

RYV has time jumped a fair bit over the run with Annie, going from baby to 5ish to 8ish to 16ish now.
    It's a shame Web Warriors got cancelled. Mayday was a cast member there as Spider-Woman, alongside Anya Corazon, aka the Spider-Girl of Earth-616, and Spider-Gwen. If it was still going, they may well have met the RYV family by now.

Question

I fear it will. I guess we'll soon find out one way or the other...
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

perhaps. it also makes me wonder whether something in petes and mary janes Chromosomes or something that make them give birth to girls in any reality whereas gwen across the multi verse and even in universe gives birth to sons although I don't remember spider Gwen and miles progeny.lol.

I wonder is Annie might end up being more like April... physically at least, hopefully not mentally. Her mom has a symbiote stuck to her. Those things have been known to shed pieces every now and then.

Also... if MJ gets pregnant what happens? O_o'

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I wonder is Annie might end up being more like April... physically at least, hopefully not mentally. Her mom has a symbiote stuck to her. Those things have been known to shed pieces every now and then.

Also... if MJ gets pregnant what happens? O_o'
    Then that would make it More like MC-2 Spider-girl in someways. I mean remember it was due to the Carnage Symbiote that Benjy got his Spider-powers early.

Yeah, it kinda sucked to be Benjy :/

Which is part of why I wonder what the result of a Symbiote's host getting pregnant would be... Would it cause the Symbiote to split/reproduce as well?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Then that would make it More like MC-2 Spider-girl in someways. I mean remember it was due to the Carnage Symbiote that Benjy got his Spider-powers early.
    That little development is another reason not to buy that the MC2-like reality affected by Spider-Verse was the accurate one. Slott completely ignored that Benjy had powers

Quote Originally Posted by Vaegrin View Post
    The fact that Peter Parker as Spider-Man is still the main character and protagonist is a huge difference. But yes, there will be many similarities. The dynamic will be different, but it will still be Peter and Mary Jane Parker with a teenage daughter.

I don't know how much of a problem that will be. MC2 Spider-Girl has been out of publication for quite some time. It's not like anybody will have to choose between Annie or May.

Indirectly, it is an implicit problem in the sense that Marvel's long-term commitment to Renew Your Vows and Annie is presumably no greater than its long-term commitment to Spider-Girl and May. Which is to say, there is no long-term commitment at all.
    All of this. Won't lie, the time jump is a bummer. I wanted more stories with Little Annie. Why does it always have to be teens lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    That little development is another reason not to buy that the MC2-like reality affected by Spider-Verse was the accurate one. Slott completely ignored that Benjy had powers
    that was a given seeing how MC2 eventually ended. :/