Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Loved Raven in this. Snyder actually makes Cyborg not boring when he talks. If Snyder still crafting his JL team I wouldn't mind seeing Raven and Red Tornado apart of it.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    That will be an Omnibus then (not Deluxe specifically), and that will come, but not for at least a few years. Snyder said there will be on Omni after the softcover.
    I didn't know that, thanks. What differences are there between an omnibus and a deluxe edition?

I hope the omnibus gets released during 2019, at most.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by judder64 View Post
    I didn't know that, thanks. What differences are there between an omnibus and a deluxe edition?

I hope the omnibus gets released during 2019, at most.
    Deluxes (which are labelled "Deluxe Edition") and Omnibuses are about the same dimensions (7.4 x 0.5 x 11.1 inches), but a Deluxe will only have like 15 issues tops (400-ish pages tops) (and many or most have less than 15 issues or 200some pages). That Deluxe format just wouldn't cover all of Metal.

Metal Omnibus is probably more like 2020 at the earliest or even later. Maybe we'd learn of a solicit for it in mid or late 2019. But, hey, I could be wrong. But DC draws these things out. They want people to maybe buy all three (Deluxe, softcover, Omnibus), so they leave these out there a good bit before releasing the next better or more complete one.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-15-2018 at 09:31 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Thank you for the info!

I hope I don't have to wait until 2020 as you say, but I am in no hurry at all so I will patiently wait for the omnibus.

Another wild and entertaining chapter of Metal. Can't wait to see how it concludes. Lots of references that went way over my head but it was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    I thought it was a decent read. But two things keep bothering me:

1. Batman who laughs always winning, everything that happens is according to his plan. I get that they are trying to show how hopeless of a situation it is for the heroes, but its gonna take a really big deus ex machina for the good guys to win. And given Snyder's history, I am not sure he'll be able to pull that off.

2. Another Batman who laughs issues - the color of his word bubbles/balloons. I get that they want each of the Batmen to have distinctive colors so you can tell who is talking, but his is hard to read. The font choice, slightly cursive, combined with the color scheme, red text on a black background, is really hard to read. There's a reason most word balloons have a white background, for ease of reading, so whoever thought that red on black is ok should be reprimanded. I can read every other thing super easily, but with his speech, I have to slow down and squint.
    Completely agreed on both counts. That's gonna be one hell of a Deux Ex Machina.
    Always Forward. Forward Always.

This was an unbalanced imitation of Morrison. Made me actually miss the near-perfect balance between confusion and greatness that was Final Crisis. I feel like this issue had interesting moments but was overall a disappointment because of the copycat feel to it.

But I'll read the last issue because I'm already on this damned roller-coaster. Then I will go back and read some real Morrison as a cleansing event.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Fantastic Member TruthAndJustice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    This might have actually been the first chapter of Metal that like ... really made sense to me. I mean I've been enjoying it in its rock & roll anything goes ridiculousness, in its like ... side-quest ragnarok final boss battle Scott Snyder Ends His Run With This, Batman battling his own demons becomes Batman literally battling a Bat-Demon from the depths of Cosmic Hell thing. And I've appreciated how his run, born in the Morrison run, has been all of a sudden revealing itself to sync up with that run in a lot more ways.

But this issue felt full-on Morrison, and it didn't feel out of place. But it did, in its pacing, weird dialogue, head-long jump into Superman Beyond, Final Crisis, Multiversity, One Million, and other Morrison Jams, just feel really good. But even more than that - little bits and pieces of character and stuff felt more dimensional. We got more character out of Drowned Batman, Red Death Batman and Dawnbreaker Batman than we got in their one-shots. He was always so good at team books, and the way they jived felt oddly like ... well, like a Dark Knights version of his JLA.

And there were so many deep cuts into DC continuity. Tiny pieces that wouldn't mean a damn thing. I loved them.

I get the impression that Mister Stubbs is the Monitor of Earth-53, which is fascinating, because he must have been the hairy primate-man in Mokkari's cage with Nix Uotan during Final Crisis, before Metron reawoke the Superjudge.

I mean I even think there's deep-cut reference to the nature of the Empty Hand, Neh-Buh-Loh, QWEWQ, All-Star Superman's creation, here, with those caged baby universes as power sources, that can be tainted by dark multiversal nightmare-fuel. Neh-Buh-Loh is basically Earth-33, poisoned, right? Jump-cut to Ultra Comics, jump-cut to the Empty Hand, factor in Superboy-Prime, and what the effing what.
    OK yeah I'm really gonna enjoy this. All it needs is the Ultramarine Corps to be pure Morrison DC Comics nuttiness.