Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows#16

Not sure if I liked how Annie was depicted here. She really treats Peter landing a job at her school as some kind of death sentence, and I felt really bad for him here...first his class starts lecturing him on digital photography (making his lessons look outdated) then Annie avoids him like the plague when he waves to her...and then she tells him off when he investigates things in costume.

MJ got slightly on his case as well, urging him to give Annie space and not to embarrass her, and before that she was remarking she was the only adult out of all three of them, and then taking care of a mugging all by herself while Peter and Annie argued (slightly funny, but that was the only real action we got all issue with the Spider-Family)

Thought there was a missed opportunity to see interaction between Annie and her friends that she's grown up with, they're reduced to cameos and she only interacts with those mutant students.

When you are a teenager you want your independence and you want your own space etc so i didnt see it as that big a thing. Plus the issue lampshaded that she feels like she doesnt have a niche of her own so those feeling bleed into everything else.

Meh, while I liked last issue, this issue didn't do much for me. I think a lot of it for me was the art, mainly how Peter and Annie were drawn. Annie looks like a 10-year-old (while on Stegman's covers she looks like a teenager) and Peter again comes across a dumbfounded dolt in most of the panels he is in. I sometimes feel like this is going the Simpsons' route, with Peter being the moron dad (Homer), MJ being the all-knowing, always right mom (Marge), and Annie being a combination smart (Lisa) but rebellious child (Bart). A lot of family sitcoms seem to follow that formula these days (idiotic dad; wise and righteous mom), why not family comics?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarlly View Post
    Meh, while I liked last issue, this issue didn't do much for me. I think a lot of it for me was the art, mainly how Peter and Annie were drawn. Annie looks like a 10-year-old (while on Stegman's covers she looks like a teenager) and Peter again comes across a dumbfounded dolt in most of the panels he is in. I sometimes feel like this is going the Simpsons' route, with Peter being the moron dad (Homer), MJ being the all-knowing, always right mom (Marge), and Annie being a combination smart (Lisa) but rebellious child (Bart). A lot of family sitcoms seem to follow that formula these days (idiotic dad; wise and righteous mom), why not family comics?
    Now I want a Spider-Man version of this

Last edited by Gnarlly; 02-14-2018 at 01:24 PM.

Peter trying too hard to be a cool teacher was weird, I'm pretty sure he wasn't like that during JMS' run.

Annie not liking Peter working on her school is understandable, don't really like it, but it's understandable.

I'm not liking that this comic is being more like a generic sitcom which just happens to have Spider-characters and not a comic about Spider-Man's family.

Art style is also starting to bother me, characters look weird sometimes.

Overall, boring issue.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Not sure if I liked how Annie was depicted here. She really treats Peter landing a job at her school as some kind of death sentence, and I felt really bad for him here...first his class starts lecturing him on digital photography (making his lessons look outdated) then Annie avoids him like the plague when he waves to her...and then she tells him off when he investigates things in costume.

MJ got slightly on his case as well, urging him to give Annie space and not to embarrass her, and before that she was remarking she was the only adult out of all three of them, and then taking care of a mugging all by herself while Peter and Annie argued (slightly funny, but that was the only real action we got all issue with the Spider-Family)

Thought there was a missed opportunity to see interaction between Annie and her friends that she's grown up with, they're reduced to cameos and she only interacts with those mutant students.
    They were mutants? I thought they just spoilers:
    mutated because of whatever whacked-out experiment they were doing in the high school chemistry lab.
    end of spoilers

Also, to be somewhat fair to MJ, she didn't take Annie's side completely. She did tell her that she was going to have to be a big girl about Peter being one of the teachers at her school, or something to that effect.

And yes, Annie keeping secrets from her parents is sure to backfire in a big way, especially if or when spoilers:
    those mutated students turn out to be up to no good with their powers.
    end of spoilers
    The spider is always on the hunt.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

This issue was dead boring IMO, and I wasn’t impressed with the last arc either. I think I’ll probably end up dropping this title...

I really liked this issue. As someone who is a just starting his teaching career just now, I COMPLETELY related to Peter's classroom dilemma. You think your subject is totally cool. And hey you even use tons of humor, confidence, and enthusiasm to get your point across. Doesn't work though because teenagers think their completely above what you're teaching. You try to come off as the cool teacher, but it backfires. Definitely related to the part where Pete talks about using a camera only to have a student say that the same could be accomplished with a smartphone.

Pete's like a DVD in a Netflix age. What you have is still kinda impressive, but when compared to today, it falls short.

Other than that, I liked the family dynamics going on here. As I've mentioned in the past, this isn't a Peter-centered title, but a Peter, MJ, and Annie title. Peter has his moments, but I find myself liking MJ and Annie in this title. MJ really was a great mom figure here and I can understand Annie's need for space. Typically teenage angst which, as a teacher, I've experienced a lot of .

Could there be more flipping, thwipping, punching, and kicking? Yeah, most certainly. But I think the issue was still pretty decent.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Poor Mj get's no respect! :-p Even the mugger bashes Mary Jane's fashion sense. "Who the hell wears white?"

MJ's not the only hero who wears white. Storm wore all white at one point (early 90s). Spectrum's and Mockingbird's costumes are black and white. Emma Frost, obviously. And the Fantastic Four did at one point as well (Future Foundation). That mugger can count himself lucky that it was MJ and not one of those other heroes.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quite a simple read - reminds me of some of the less good issues of Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane (teeny drama and all that). Enjoyable, if not groundbreaking. I think they ruined the series by ageing Annie up - there's so much more that can be done with a child, but here they're running through the usual teenage angst, embarrassing parents routine.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    This issue was dead boring IMO, and I wasn’t impressed with the last arc either. I think I’ll probably end up dropping this title...
    Feeling similar.

Not a huge fan of the issue, but okay. It's also the first piece of a larger story and I've found that those tend to read better in the trade paperbacks anyways.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Unhappy

Things continue to go downhill I see, and just when I decided to give the series a second chance. What a shame.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."