Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Why was the "Linda" alias abandoned for Supergirl

Pre-Crisis Supergirl used the civilian alias of "Linda Danvers". Anyone know why this was abandoned post-crisis?

In a sense, they did when they introduced the human Linda Danvers, who merged with the Matrix Supergirl, and then later continued to act as Supergirl on her own after they separated. As for the post crisis renditions of Kara Zor-El, I couldn't say. I was surprised that the writers of the Supergirl TV show even thought to use the "Danvers" surname, although without having "Linda Lee" as her first and middle names.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Pre-crisis Linda Danvers was just Kara/Supergirl, but post crisis Linda Danvers was a person separate from the original Supergirl (Matrix), who was also separate from Kara, the later Supergirl. Kara then went by the name of Linda Lang, posing as Lana's niece.

The obvious irony is that switching it back to Supergirl being Kara like it was pre-crisis was supposed to be simple and iconic, but at that point made things pretty confusing.

I wish they'd quit giving Kara all sorts of different secret identities and just stick to Linda Lee Danvers. She could have easily been Linda/Linda Lee on the TV show, but for whatever reason she has to have Kara as both her human and Kryptonian name.

Probably because Linda is another character, and since Linda and Kara are Supergirl's most known names, probably to avoid confusion DC decided to call her human identity Kara, and since she grew up in Krypton, wanting to maintain that name makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Probably because Linda is another character, and since Linda and Kara are Supergirl's most known names, probably to avoid confusion DC decided to call her human identity Kara, and since she grew up in Krypton, wanting to maintain that name makes sense

Fred and Sylvia Danvers replaced by Jerimiah and Eliza Danvers (very Biblical) to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by raidensix View Post
    Pre-Crisis Supergirl used the civilian alias of "Linda Danvers". Anyone know why this was abandoned post-crisis?
    I guess for the meta reason that usually when someone is adopted they usually keep their first name but often take the last name of the adoptive parents. So Kara Zor-El becomes Kara Danvers.
    Not really sure why she was called Linda Lee in the first place. But that was her orphanage name and after Fred and Sylvia Danvers adopted her she became Linda Danvers. In the current
    version she doesn't live in an orphanage first, but instead is directly adopted directly by Jeremiah and Eliza Danvers. So the Linda name never existed.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Kara Danvers makes more sense. Kara is an actual Earth name as well, so it never made any sense for her to go by anything else.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son View Post
    I wish they'd quit giving Kara all sorts of different secret identities and just stick to Linda Lee Danvers. She could have easily been Linda/Linda Lee on the TV show, but for whatever reason she has to have Kara as both her human and Kryptonian name.
    There is no reason why she would have any other name than Kara.

It's different for Kal because he wasn't raised as Kal and never even knew his real name until he was older.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    There is no reason why she would have any other name than Kara.

It's different for Kal because he wasn't raised as Kal and never even knew his real name until he was older.
    I'd say she was given a different first name for her civilian ID in the past in order to avoid any possible connections between Linda and Supergirl. Like if Clark was instead Kal Kent and his Kryptonian name were semi-common knowledge.

It just makes sense to me that there should be more of a separation between the dual identities and not leave any clues that certain people could pick up on.
    Last edited by Last Son; 02-14-2018 at 05:48 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I know on the show they probably didn't use it because they didn't feel there was a need to. Kara is a pretty common Earth name. I didn't follow the Supergirl comics pre-Flashpoint so I have no idea how common this is.
    Assassinate Putin!

Smallville was most likely the first time Kara used her Kryptonian first name as her "human" name. On that show, she was Kara Kent.

Retired

I think going by the name Kara in her civilian identity makes it more obvious that she's Supergirl. Sure Kara is a common name, but if Supergirl tells anyone about her life as Kara Zor-El--as super-heroes are wont to do (it helps when they create those dioramas for the museums named after them)--it just adds one more piece to the puzzle.

At least she could slightly change Kara to something else--like Power Girl did with Karen. Carol Danvers would be a good name.

I think a strong reason for the TV show to use Kara Danvers as her identity was to establish that before Marvel did their CAPTAIN MARVEL movie. They planted their flag on that name.

But being a lover of the old Superman continuity, I want her to be Linda Lee Danvers--and I'll stick with that.

I agree, and it could be an issue when it comes to alien and Kryptonian characters who might know of the Els or Kara in particular, like Brainiac and Zod.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

In the Archives foreword, Diana Schutz mentioned how cool she found the name Kara, in a sea of Cathys and Debbies. But the weird thing is that although they gave her a cool name that's actually caught on through the years, they either always referred to her as Linda, Linda Lee, or just Supergirl for a lot of the first decade.

It makes sense in a way that Superman was Kal-El and Supergirl was Kara. They could share those names in public and not have to worry about their secret identities.