Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    By not teasing every third issue they might get together. If the relationship is finished then that shock value has no meaning.
    Their relationship isn't over, it was interrupted by OMD. So long as reality is the way it is, there will always be people clamoring for things to revert to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Their relationship isn't over, it was interrupted by OMD. So long as reality is the way it is, there will always be people clamoring for things to revert to normal.
    True, but that doesn't mean the writer needs to tease it.

Covers like this for example.

Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_606.jpg

They are not a couple nor are together. But it is hinting, "but she has feelings and they might get together."

There was an episode of Amazing where he goes on an adventure with the Fantastic Four. The last page is showing Peter's answering machine. Message after message and then Mary Jane calls but the answering machine becomes full and her message isn't saved. I'm sure there are more examples. That shock value of, "Perhaps this will start them on the road to getting back together was just ruined" is what needs to stop.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

At this point it's roughly the same answer I have about Peter's job. Have some aspect of Peter Parker actually remain stable for a time.

By not teasing every third issue they might get together. If the relationship is finished then that shock value has no meaning.
    That's the thing.

Marvel loves teasing Peter and MJ getting back together to bring in fans no matter how much they try to move away from that relationship.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's the thing.

Marvel loves teasing Peter and MJ getting back together to bring in fans no matter how much they try to move away from that relationship.
    It's the Ross and Rachel effect. After their break-up in season four, the creative team of F.R.I.E.N.D.S spent the remainder of the series teasing whether or not they would stick together long-term, before they finally did so in the very last episode.

Thing about Ross and Rachel is they still went through all the ups and downs of a traditional couple despite being on and off. They had a brief marriage and ultimately had a child after a one night stand

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Personally, I want OMD totally undone. However, I suspect that ain't gonna happen.
    I dont need it undone. But it does need to be resolved.

Peter and MJ need to face Mephisto and remember the deal. If they dont get back together after that, its understandable. (After all Peter chose May over his wife). But it needs to be dealt with.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    It's the Ross and Rachel effect. After their break-up in season four, the creative team of F.R.I.E.N.D.S spent the remainder of the series teasing whether or not they would stick together long-term, before they finally did so in the very last episode.

Thing about Ross and Rachel is they still went through all the ups and downs of a traditional couple despite being on and off. They had a brief marriage and ultimately had a child after a one night stand
    The writers were going to reunite them earlier, but the series kept getting extended. Kinda like how HIMYM was always going to end with Robin, but they kept getting additional seasons so they extended things with Barney.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by squirecam View Post
    The writers were going to reunite them earlier, but the series kept getting extended. Kinda like how HIMYM was always going to end with Robin, but they kept getting additional seasons so they extended things with Barney.
    They should have just kept them married after the Vegas wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's the thing.

Which to me is an uninteresting plot point and why I quit reading.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Which to me is an uninteresting plot point and why I quit reading.
    Well, they've struggled to really develop Peter's love life in any significant or interesting way since BND, so I guess continually teasing MJ is all they've got from a romantic standpoint when all else fails.

Unless the new creative team has a reunion of some sort planned, I say avoid the issue altogether and instead concentrate on other aspects of Spider-Man's character or even building another meaningful romance.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I'd like to see them get back together if it's done in a genuine/good way.
    Always Forward. Forward Always.

Amazing Member

I'm actually glad Slott never really dealt with MJ. Given he's incapable of writing characters as consistent, believable adults, there would be an awful mess to sort out. She's one of very few to remain relatively unscathed by the past 10 years.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by esskay View Post
    I'm actually glad Slott never really dealt with MJ. Given he's incapable of writing characters as consistent, believable adults, there would be an awful mess to sort out. She's one of very few to remain relatively unscathed by the past 10 years.
    Really? I'd say MJ was the one damaged most by Slott. She used to be the strongest, most supportful and understanding of all of Peter's loved ones and the deconstruction left her entiely worst for wear. She then was moved off to another hero's title where they proceeded to do nothing of note with her for the next several years.

If there were any MJs that were left unscathed over the decade, they would undoubtedly be the alternate reality versions (MC2 MJ, Newspaper MJ, Ultimate MJ, and RYV MJ), all of whom remained on-point and true to her character.

A very valid point.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."