Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman 40 (SPOILERS)

Well...
    spoilers:
    Doctor Psycho confirmed as the man behind Vanessa's procedure, and he's now in control of her comatose body at the hospital. He's masquerading as a Dr. Carne. Also Jason decides to leave Diana's home as he feels he's a hindrance on her, but before he can actually leave he's captured and transported by some force. It looked like Kirby dots so highly likely it was Darkseid.
    end of spoilers
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Well...
    spoilers:
    Doctor Psycho confirmed as the man behind Vanessa's procedure, and he's now in control of her comatose body at the hospital. He's masquerading as a Dr. Carne. Also Jason decides to leave Diana's home as he feels he's a hindrance on her, but before he can actually leave he's captured and transported by some force. It looked like Kirby dots so highly likely it was Darkseid.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I'm not sure if he was the guy behind the procedure, I think Diana took Vanessa to ARGUS HQ and he's their new Psionics expert.
    end of spoilers

Ahhh, good point yes. I still think he was the one the entire time though. Looking at things from that perspective, I'm taking it Psycho took the guise of another doctor entirely the first time around. Now he's pretending to be another doc to be close to her.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ahhh, good point yes. I still think he was the one the entire time though. Looking at things from that perspective, I'm taking it Psycho took the guise of another doctor entirely the first time around. Now he's pretending to be another doc to be close to her.
    I was thinking he might be operating remotely, controlling their minds from afar.

Yeah, probably right on again.

I liked the issue. I think Diana dominated the narrative, here, while Jason and the Swan were given a few moments.

Silver Swan is definitely back!
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I thought this was a good ending to this arc. The new Silver Swan is a force to be reckoned with and the Dr. Psycho reveal was quite welcome. I'm guessing those were Darkseid's Omega Beams that snatched up Jason at the end.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I thought this was a good ending to this arc. The new Silver Swan is a force to be reckoned with and the Dr. Psycho reveal was quite welcome. I'm guessing those were Darkseid's Omega Beams that snatched up Jason at the end.
    We-eeehlll...there is one other recurring Wonder Woman villain, who's always conjuring fiery purple energy spheres, singularities and nimbi. Perhaps, the gift that Jason receives in April will come from her, ..with a price, of course. I'm really hoping desperately that it isn't that one, but...

COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    We-eeehlll...there is one other recurring Wonder Woman villain, who's always conjuring fiery purple energy spheres, singularities and nimbi. Perhaps, the gift that Jason receives in April will come from her, ..with a price, of course. I'm really hoping desperately that it isn't that one, but...

That's a good theory as well but there hasn't been any mention of Circe in any of the upcoming solicits(but then again, there was no mention of Dr. Psycho either). If it is Circe, I hope she looks a lot more like Pre-Flashpiont Circe.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    That's a good theory as well but there hasn't been any mention of Circe in any of the upcoming solicits(but then again, there was no mention of Dr. Psycho either). If it is Circe, I hope she looks a lot more like Pre-Flashpiont Circe.
    The March 2018 solicits for WW #43 say, "...All his life, Wonder Woman’s brother Jason has longed to meet his mother, Hippolyta, but the machinations of the gods have made it impossible. But now, with the barrier between worlds at its thinnest, could they come face to face at last? Should Wonder Woman help him return home, if it could lead to the destruction of the Amazons?..."

That suggests that something happens, between #40 (now) and #43, that make Wonder Woman's efforts to return him to Paradise, a threat to the Amazons. What kind of development in the story could create this dilemma? Does Jason willingly, unwillingly or unwittingly ally himself with someone or some-thing that makes him a threat to the Amazons? Could Circe or some other Wonder-villain be that game-changing factor in the narrative, ..through a gift or exchange of power and weapons, with Jason?

Remember also that James has already told us, through Jason's association with Grail, that his trusting nature, which he shares with his twin sister, leaves him easily influenced by others, ..and even those with the worst intentions. Jason's mischief in Virginia Shore shows us that he is not the best judge of character and WAY too trusting of people. If Jason is open-hearted and trusting enough of strangers that he'd befriend Grail, who just LOOKS flat-out evil, ..and open his sister's home to a crowd of over-sexed partygoers, ..I don't think an alliance with Circe or some other schemer, like Strife or Ares, is so unthinkable.

Imagine Diana's twin, as trusting and open-hearted as his sister, ..but, tragically, without the wisdom of Athena to guide him ..or the Lasso or Truth to reveal the motives of his enemies. Imagine Jason, possessed of as loving a nature, as his sister, but, without Athena's wisdom to keep his amorous heart in check. Imagine Jason charging into future challenges to protect his friends, getting into jams that Diana helps him out of. This seems to be the narrative that Mr. Robinson is creating to illustrate the difference between Jason and Diana. If this is Robinson's intention, it's very clever. I like it! "Well played, James!"

What goes down, between now and #43, that makes Jason, a bumbling novice superhero, with seemingly noble intentions, ..a threat to Themyscira, terrible or apocalyptic enough to "lead to the destruction of the Amazons"?

Frankly, I think that, if someone wanted to change or transform Jason into a threat to Diana or the Amazons, that someone would have done that, by now. That was Grail and Darkseid's plan, and they've already shown their hand and made their move. If something intended to take control of Jason, using him in nefarious ways, against his will - a zombie of sorts - Grail has certainly had the opportunity to do that, and, now, her father has the power to do it. I don't think her or 'Daddiseid' are the game-changing players, here, ..but, they could be.

I'm more intrigued by the idea that someone or something might already have made a pawn of Jason, through sorcery or other means. Could something in the shadows, anticipating that Jason and Diana will seek out the Amazons, be waiting for a pivotal moment to use Jason's connection to Diana ..to destroy or control the Amazons? If such an enemy, whose presence or work is presently hidden from us, exists, ..it could be Grail, Darkseid, Ares, Circe or anybody!

Did Jason's separation from Grail go a little too smoothly or easily? Maybe. There seems to be a lot of speculation, right here in this thread, that Jason, who couldn't hold his own with crazy Silver Swan, shouldn't have been able to subdue Grail, as easily as he did. Think about...Jason holds off GRAIL, but can't do anything with Silver Swan? I don't know what to think about that. I really don't, and that's why I've been reluctant to chime in my problems with how he did that.

What does the prospect of "destruction of the Amazons" mean here? The March solicits for #42 tells us that Darkseid "...wants the throne of Apokolips back! But to put down the rebellions and civil war raging on his homeworld, he’ll need an army more powerful than he’s ever had before. That sounds suspiciously like the Amazons...". Darkseid's using the Amazons, as cannon fodder against his own deadly Shock Troops and Para-demons, in a no-holds-barred battle to recover his throne, ..could certainly put a lot of Amazons in destruction's path...

But how, would Darkseid get influence over the Amazons? What could he use to persuade them or their Queen Hippolyta, more specifically, to fight for him, on Apokolips? Could Darkseid or Grail's threatening Jason move a heartsick, guilt-ridden Hippolyta ..to fight for Darkseid, in some frenzied attempt to save the son, whom she abandoned? Maybe, Darkseid isn't the only player, here, ..and whoever sucked Jason into that purple singularity is the real closer, in a plot to commandeer the Amazons! Are we actually about to see an alliance of Darkseid and CIRCE or ARES?!

I think things are about to get really good in this run. Keep your popcorn, ices and kangas, handy!

I hope the lack of posts in this thread is an indication that people just aren't really buying this run so DC will wise up and put someone new on the book, fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I hope the lack of posts in this thread is an indication that people just aren't really buying this run so DC will wise up and put someone new on the book, fast.
    Sales numbers seem to be steadily declining since Rucka left.

Further indicates a change likely for July. I just hope they don't feel like they have to go back to Rucka or anything like that. That run admittedly sold better but god I hated it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    The March 2018 solicits for WW #43 say, "...All his life, Wonder Woman’s brother Jason has longed to meet his mother, Hippolyta, but the machinations of the gods have made it impossible. But now, with the barrier between worlds at its thinnest, could they come face to face at last? Should Wonder Woman help him return home, if it could lead to the destruction of the Amazons?..."

That suggests that something happens, between #40 (now) and #43, that make Wonder Woman's efforts to return him to Paradise, a threat to the Amazons. What kind of development in the story could create this dilemma? Does Jason willingly, unwillingly or unwittingly ally himself with someone or some-thing that makes him a threat to the Amazons? Could Circe or some other Wonder-villain be that game-changing factor in the narrative, ..through a gift or exchange of power and weapons, with Jason?

Remember also that James has already told us, through Jason's association with Grail, that his trusting nature, which he shares with his twin sister, leaves him easily influenced by others, ..and even those with the worst intentions. Jason's mischief in Virginia Shore shows us that he is not the best judge of character and WAY too trusting of people. If Jason is open-hearted and trusting enough of strangers that he'd befriend Grail, who just LOOKS flat-out evil, ..and open his sister's home to a crowd of over-sexed partygoers, ..I don't think an alliance with Circe or some other schemer, like Strife or Ares, is so unthinkable.

Imagine Diana's twin, as trusting and open-hearted as his sister, ..but, tragically, without the wisdom of Athena to guide him ..or the Lasso or Truth to reveal the motives of his enemies. Imagine Jason, possessed of as loving a nature, as his sister, but, without Athena's wisdom to keep his amorous heart in check. Imagine Jason charging into future challenges to protect his friends, getting into jams that Diana helps him out of. This seems to be the narrative that Mr. Robinson is creating to illustrate the difference between Jason and Diana. If this is Robinson's intention, it's very clever. I like it! "Well played, James!"

What goes down, between now and #43, that makes Jason, a bumbling novice superhero, with seemingly noble intentions, ..a threat to Themyscira, terrible or apocalyptic enough to "lead to the destruction of the Amazons"?

Frankly, I think that, if someone wanted to change or transform Jason into a threat to Diana or the Amazons, that someone would have done that, by now. That was Grail and Darkseid's plan, and they've already shown their hand and made their move. If something intended to take control of Jason, using him in nefarious ways, against his will - a zombie of sorts - Grail has certainly had the opportunity to do that, and, now, her father has the power to do it. I don't think her or 'Daddiseid' are the game-changing players, here, ..but, they could be.

I'm more intrigued by the idea that someone or something might already have made a pawn of Jason, through sorcery or other means. Could something in the shadows, anticipating that Jason and Diana will seek out the Amazons, be waiting for a pivotal moment to use Jason's connection to Diana ..to destroy or control the Amazons? If such an enemy, whose presence or work is presently hidden from us, exists, ..it could be Grail, Darkseid, Ares, Circe or anybody!

Did Jason's separation from Grail go a little too smoothly or easily? Maybe. There seems to be a lot of speculation, right here in this thread, that Jason, who couldn't hold his own with crazy Silver Swan, shouldn't have been able to subdue Grail, as easily as he did. Think about...Jason holds off GRAIL, but can't do anything with Silver Swan? I don't know what to think about that. I really don't, and that's why I've been reluctant to chime in my problems with how he did that.

What does the prospect of "destruction of the Amazons" mean here? The March solicits for #42 tells us that Darkseid "...wants the throne of Apokolips back! But to put down the rebellions and civil war raging on his homeworld, he’ll need an army more powerful than he’s ever had before. That sounds suspiciously like the Amazons...". Darkseid's using the Amazons, as cannon fodder against his own deadly Shock Troops and Para-demons, in a no-holds-barred battle to recover his throne, ..could certainly put a lot of Amazons in destruction's path...

But how, would Darkseid get influence over the Amazons? What could he use to persuade them or their Queen Hippolyta, more specifically, to fight for him, on Apokolips? Could Darkseid or Grail's threatening Jason move a heartsick, guilt-ridden Hippolyta ..to fight for Darkseid, in some frenzied attempt to save the son, whom she abandoned? Maybe, Darkseid isn't the only player, here, ..and whoever sucked Jason into that purple singularity is the real closer, in a plot to commandeer the Amazons! Are we actually about to see an alliance of Darkseid and CIRCE or ARES?!

I think things are about to get really good in this run. Keep your popcorn, ices and kangas, handy!
    A good sum up!

Another thing to consider, if a bit more out of left field, is Hera herself.
    Diana being a young Amazon can be passed off for a number of reasons. But a boy? And the son of Hippolyta, and doesn't bother to hide his father's name? And Hera is rather infamous for her jealousy regarding Zeus (I've said as much before).

The Rebirth retconn of the Amazons, brief of a flashback as it was, showed that Jason wasn't in danger from the residents of Paradise Island (thank the Presence for that retconn), but of Hera's wrath. So don't count her out just yet.

But I do look forward to the family reunion, for even as brief as the happy moment will be. The twins can finally reunite with their mother, and she her children.

Further indicates a change likely for July. I just hope they don't feel like they have to go back to Rucka or anything like that. That run admittedly sold better but god I hated it.

I'll just be happy if they don't put JMS, Azzarello, or Fontana back on the book.