View Poll Results: Who is your favorite Green Lantern?

Voters
171. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alan Scott

12 7.02%
  • Hal Jordan

63 36.84%
  • Guy Gardner

10 5.85%
  • John Stewart

32 18.71%
  • Kyle Rayner

27 15.79%
  • Simon Baz

3 1.75%
  • Jessica Cruz

24 14.04%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    It's too bad Jessica's comic isn't selling, isn't it?
    Yeah, yeah, you don't like Green Lanterns. We get it. Can we stay on topic, please?

Jessica Cruz would be my favorite of the Lanterns. She's an interesting character (having a Lantern that struggles to overcome fear on a daily basis was a stroke of genius), works for both comedy and drama, and is basically fun to read about (with the Spider-Man-like monologues, everyperson perspective).

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    I like all of them except for Jessica and Baz.

I grew up reading comics featuring Alan, Hal and John. To me, John has the most personality out of all them and I wish DC would give him his own book.
    Fair enough, but seeing as those two are my favorites and I can't really dredge much interest in the others (making me you in reverse), I'm curious what about Baz and Cruz doesn't work for you?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I've heard good things about Jessica Cruz but I haven't read Green Lanterns or Justice League so her and Baz are pretty much out of the poll for me.

As for the rest, it's a tough one. It really depends on who's writing them. There's something of a difference between Hal Jordan by Darwyn Cooke vs Hal Jordan by Gerard Jones vs Hal Jordan by Geoff Johns, for example.

I like all the Earth GLs quite a bit and all of them have features in some truly killer stories (Hal: New Frontier; John: Mosaic; Guy: JLI) but Kyle wins this one for me by a hair. Mind you, he's arguably the least consistently written of them. The Kyle that appeared in his own title and in Morrison's JLA was pretty different from the Kyle Rayner of the reconstituted Green Lantern Corps and both are very different from the portrayal of the character in Omega Men. There is some consistency to his character throughout - the creative everyman, specifically - but yeah, the character has gone down some strange paths over the years.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Fair enough, but seeing as those two are my favorites and I can't really dredge much interest in the others (making me you in reverse), I'm curious what about Baz and Cruz doesn't work for you?
    I've tried reading their book and couldn't get into it. Neither one is interesting to me at all.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    The thing is, "nostalgia" don't really mean anything anymore. There's people who want Kyle to be the main GL again, do they realize he was created 24 years ago? Same with John when people bring up his popularity from the JL cartoon, they do know that cartoon started almost two decades ago, right? All of this is "nostalgia", whether it's post-Crisis or Silver Age. Only Simon and Jessica are not "nostalgic" Lanterns and they will be in a few decades time.
    You also have to take into account the idea of "nostalgia" and "iconic" as it applies to the company and to the writers / artists / other people controlling current DC publications.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    You also have to take into account the idea of "nostalgia" and "iconic" as it applies to the company and to the writers / artists / other people controlling current DC publications.
    Well, favoritism and nostalgia aren't always the same thing. Ted Kord could be considered an "iconic" character by some fans or creators, and DC doesn't show a lot of favoritism toward him. Batman and Superman are as "iconic" and "nostalgic" as they get, yet nobody uses these words to describe them. Why should they be used to describe Hal or Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    It's too bad Jessica's comic isn't selling, isn't it?
    Wrong thread! Why don’t you stick to the 6,000 threads you started about that nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    I've tried reading their book and couldn't get into it. Neither one is interesting to me at all.
    Okay.

10char
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I go there all the time, I don't see many "militant" posters. If someone goes there and starts disparaging the character the thread is meant to "appreciate", they would likely get negative feedback, like in any other appreciation thread. But "militant"? Nah.
    I've posted dissenting opinions in the thread. Despite the differences of opinion on some characters, the dialogue has always been cordial.

Extraordinary Member

I voted John. My first GL was Hal watching Super Friends as a kid. I discovered John on the last page of an issue of New Teen Titans (they were fighting Brother Blood). On a side note, that is where I discovered Bootser Gold (and that ridiculous cape).

John, Hal, & Guy (in that order) are my top shelf. Kyle & Alan are my second tier. I don't follow Jessica & Simon, so I'm neutral.

It is shame DC made him into this 24/7 stoic character. The DCAU version worked because he was surrounded in a universe full of madness, plus his most vital relationships were with off the wall people like Wally West & Rex Mason, and fiery women like Hawkgirl, Vixen, and Katma. I think John would be a more viable character if DC peeled away the stoic exterior, and showed just how layered he truly is.

Character study & development are not important concepts to the book he's featured in at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I've posted dissenting opinions in the thread. Despite the differences of opinion on some characters, the dialogue has always been cordial.
    Can't speak for that GL thread (since I don't frequent it), but I have found in general that being respectful and/or well-reasoned when presenting a minority opinion is more likely to gain a civil response than an angry one. That can vary (I've interacted with people online who who just want utter capitulation and won't accept even a respectful disagreement), but I've seen it hold true more often than not.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Jessica Cruz, followed by Hal, Guy and Simon. John has no personality beyond being a marine and Kyle is incredibly boring.

Kyle Rayner is my favorite.

That being said, there are too many human GL's and they all should go away besides one.

Jessica Cruz should be the only GL.
    Batman - Daredevil

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    . . . John has no personality beyond being a marine and Kyle is incredibly boring.
    All depends on who the writers are.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Hmm, then I guess it was mostly the more militant John Stewart fans should were banned...
    The Hal fans are WAY more aggressive and overly defensive than the John fans, from what I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    The Hal fans are WAY more aggressive and overly defensive than the John fans, from what I have seen.
    I’m sorry you’ve had a negative experience with some Hal fans. Most of us are good people