Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peter O'Toole

Mighty Member

Default Peter O'Toole

It's a crime this great actor never won a competitive Academy Award.

Favorite movie or movies with O'Toole?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post

I know the name, although I am not that familiar with his work like James Stewart or Cary Grant or Humphrey Bogat.

However I know the respect O'Toole has in Golden Age Hollywood. he is even more particular because he got a lifetime achievement award then got another acting nomination, just to show how great his body of work must have been. To still get nominated in competitive awards after you have already gotten a lifetime achievement award.

However some were just not lucky. Cary Grant, Gene Kelly, Fred Astire, Deborah Kerr just to name a few never won competitive awards Oscars.
    Last edited by Castle; 04-29-2021 at 11:53 PM.

His first major role, and perhaps his greatest. Lawrence of Arabia. He was also amazing in The Lion in Winter.
    And of course the voice of the restaurant critic Anton in Ratatouille.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Stardust of course. And yours is...?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    His first major role, and perhaps his greatest. Lawrence of Arabia. He was also amazing in The Lion in Winter.
    Lion in Winter is still an astronomically good performance on his part - dude was going head to head with Katherine Hepburn, and outshining the first film appearances of Anthony Hopkins and Timothy Dalton.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

It is a great performance in a great film. I haven't watched it since my VHS player broke and I threw away the tape. I'm sure I can find it streaming somewhere, though.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Stardust of course. And yours is...?
    Definitely loved him in LOA and The Lion in Winter. Beckett was very good also. Would love to see his other nominated performances in The Stunt Man, Ruling Class and My Favorite Year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    There were rumors that Lawrence was a closeted gay who fell in love with a 14-year old Arab boy named Selim Ahmed or Dahoum. Of course it can't be true since Lawrence was a bachelor up to his death.

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selim_Ahmed

https://www.fdd.org/analysis/2014/12...gay-in-arabia/

https://www.grunge.com/176686/the-tr...nce-of-arabia/

Super girl!

He's a respected name. But i have watched only one of his movies. Lawrence of Arabia. That movie is amazing. If you love movies, on a weekend or a holiday just get that movie and watch it for yourself. Give yourself a treat. Even better try to watch it in the biggest screen possible. The movie is 3 and half hours long. Thus, my suggestion to watch it on a holiday without being disturbed.

The movie is fitting for descriptions like poetry in motion. Or they don't make movies like this anymore. And Peter O' Toole gives a great performance. He fits the eccentric larger then life character like a glove.

They tried to bring him in for Supergirl like they did with Marlon Brando. That didn't turn out as well.

A fun film of his is "How to Steal A Million". It's got Audrey Hepburn too.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    He's a respected name. But i have watched only one of his movies. Lawrence of Arabia. That movie is amazing. If you love movies, on a weekend or a holiday just get that movie and watch it for yourself. Give yourself a treat. Even better try to watch it in the biggest screen possible. The movie is 3 and half hours long. Thus, my suggestion to watch it on a holiday without being disturbed.

The movie is fitting for descriptions like poetry in motion. Or they don't make movies like this anymore. And Peter O' Toole gives a great performance. He fits the eccentric larger then life character like a glove.
    Lawrence of Arabia is a classic Sunday afternoon movie for me. Put a roast in the oven on low or simmer some Sunday gravy on the stove and put on something like Lawrence of Arabia or Spartacus or the Ten Commandments and just relax. Reminds me of a childhood when my Dad used to do it with Westerns. There's something about technicolor movies set in the desert that scream Sunday for me.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Definitely loved him in LOA and The Lion in Winter. Beckett was very good also. Would love to see his other nominated performances in The Stunt Man, Ruling Class and My Favorite Year.
    Is Lion in Winter recommended if you're a fan of GRRM's novels and Scott's Kingdom of Heaven?

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Is Lion in Winter recommended if you're a fan of GRRM's novels and Scott's Kingdom of Heaven?
    It's basically a family drama rather than a thriller or epic. There are no big battle scenes or murders, just vicious rivalries and manipulations as a powerful family that doesn't get along come together for Christmas. The fact that King Henry II (O'Toole) has had his wife (Katherine Hepburn) imprisoned for the last ten years for persuading her sons to rebel against their father pretty much tells you the kind of dynamics going on in the family. It's good, but don't expect action.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    It's basically a family drama rather than a thriller or epic. There are no big battle scenes or murders, just vicious rivalries and manipulations as a powerful family that doesn't get along come together for Christmas. The fact that King Henry II (O'Toole) has had his wife (Katherine Hepburn) imprisoned for the last ten years for persuading her sons to rebel against their father pretty much tells you the kind of dynamics going on in the family. It's good, but don't expect action.
    Funny enough I bet GRRM used The Lion in Winter as one inspiration for his story.