Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

One of my all time favorite themes is the Godfather theme. Granted that's because i simply adore the Godfather films. But as a music piece its pretty good too. A soulful and mournful tune. That's how i would describe it. There are variations to the main theme. I like some of those too. Godfather main theme.

Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-22-2018 at 07:24 AM.

I love the love theme of Godfather too.

This thread is not supposed to be just about posting music. Discuss anything and everything music as long as its related to TV/Film.

Have you seen Black Panther? If so what is your opinion about Black Panther's music?

I thought it was really good. Not something i would play regularly as i do with some music. But it was really fitting for the film. I thought it had a certain character, improving the overall experience.

Astonishing Member

Thomas Newman is my favorite movie composer. Finding Nemo, Wall-E, Road to Perdition, Bridge of Spies, Shawshank Redemption are all classics. His scores are more restrained and enhance the film scene in a subdued manner.

While John Williams has made all time great film scores, I find some of the scores are overpowering. It almost feels like the score is trying to push me into an emotional connection which just makes me resist it and find it annoying.

I would certainly give credit to the music from 2001 but I would list John Williams as number one especially for his Superman score. It's one thing to enhance a movie but when possibly 50% or more of the entire success of the movie can be attributed to the music and it's doubling the emotional impact of numerous scenes, I think that it transcends just writing a good score.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Thomas Newman is my favorite movie composer. Finding Nemo, Wall-E, Road to Perdition, Bridge of Spies, Shawshank Redemption are all classics. His scores are more restrained and enhance the film scene in a subdued manner.

While John Williams has made all time great film scores, I find some of the scores are overpowering. It almost feels like the score is trying to push me into an emotional connection which just makes me resist it and find it annoying.
    Hmmm. I have heard something like this for the first time. I did not imagine someone thinking William's score as annoying. But that's the thing with any piece of art. There's hardly anything which is truly speaking universal. I think you said not all scores are like this. But then, I think most of his scores are like that. Powerful pieces. Do you like any of them?

His scores are such that i feel myself giddy on hearing some of them. Star Wars for example. I remember watching TLJ. The score enhanced the experience. Nostalgic tones in right places. Some of his best work in Star Wars was Duel of The Fates for Phantom Menace. If i remember it correctly it was even used in Attack Of The Clones in even ordinary scenes like Anakin and Padme talking. That score has no place there. But in battle scenes like this.

Pardon me for posting this. Its such a good scene and the music really enhances it.

Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-24-2018 at 02:56 AM.

Star Wars main theme. Probably the best score of any movie ever. At least among the most popular of all time.

And i am partial to the amazing 'Imperial March'.

Shawshank Redemption is an amazing film. I can't recall its music. But this scene is among the best i have seen.

To be fair the music given by Thomas Newman enhances the film. Music is supposed to suit the film. If its memorable that's great. But it has to do its work in the film. To support the mood of a scene. To make the scene better while staying in the background. That's not the only use of music. But that's mostly what's expected. Scores in films aren't made to heard like other music.

And of course a score becomes memorable by how many times we are exposed to it. I watched it for the first time about two years ago. To my own surprise i haven't seen it again. I think that film has a great re-watchability.

I think the best X-Men score is in X-Men First Class. But hardly anyone remembers that because it is not used in every film. They would rather use something very generic.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-24-2018 at 03:17 AM.

X-Men First Class is my second favorite X-Men film after Logan. There's a scene towards the end. The time when Magneto lifts a submarine containing villains. That's the first major use of that power in such a level. Till now he had struggled with anything of this magnitude. Its a really important point in the movie. Mutants are revealed in public. (Though here the public is the navies of US and USSR on the brink of a nuclear war). And it plays off from an earlier beautiful scene when Charles teaches Erik in how to use his powers on something big. Wonderful scene and score. For a while all we hear is the music itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I would certainly give credit to the music from 2001 but I would list John Williams as number one especially for his Superman score. It's one thing to enhance a movie but when possibly 50% or more of the entire success of the movie can be attributed to the music and it's doubling the emotional impact of numerous scenes, I think that it transcends just writing a good score.
    I don't think any score can be so influential that 50% of its success could be attributed to music. Apart from that i agree with you. Music is generally used to enhance a scene. But once in a while a score comes along that it is almost inseparably associated with something. Something bigger then it was meant to be.

I think one of the best examples for that would be James Bond. Its almost (some would way not almost, but it is) legendary as James Bond himself.

Taking a detour from films (while i would go back to that again and again) let me get into animated intros. A question to everyone who cares for animated toons. What is the best animated intro? I put forward Chip'n Dale Rescue Rangers. I am hard pressed to find a better tune.

And without vocals. Played at the end credits.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post

Thomas Newman is indeed a great composer and it is amazing how much his music has that impact without being in your face. In regards to John Williams, you do make an excellent point. However, to be fair when a director hires John Williams that is the sound they want. I would suggest for you to listen to his latest score, “The Post” it is a VERY DIFFERENT score from what he usually composes.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    X-Men First Class is my second favorite X-Men film after Logan. There's a scene towards the end. The time when Magneto lifts a submarine containing villains. That's the first major use of that power in such a level. Till now he had struggled with anything of this magnitude. Its a really important point in the movie. Mutants are revealed in public. (Though here the public is the navies of US and USSR on the brink of a nuclear war). And it plays off from an earlier beautiful scene when Charles teaches Erik in how to use his powers on something big. Wonderful scene and score. For a while all we hear is the music itself.

This is probably one of my favorite X-Men scores. This is a great scene, and I also REALLY love “Frankenstein’s Monster”.