Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    Thomas Newman is indeed a great composer and it is amazing how much his music has that impact without being in your face. In regards to John Williams, you do make an excellent point. However, to be fair when a director hires John Williams that is the sound they want. I would suggest for you to listen to his latest score, “The Post” it is a VERY DIFFERENT score from what he usually composes.
    I agree that Williams delivers what is asked for. When I'm caught up in a movie and really emotional invested, a John Williams score adds to that. My favorite piece by Williams is during the barrel sequence in Jaws. It captures the excitement onscreen and what I was feeling. And the iconic Jaws theme is an active tool in creating the suspense and dread in the movie.

But when I watch a movie and it doesn't get me emotionally invested, a strong Williams score seems out of place. It feels like there is someone behind me cheering and clapping for a movie that's just not working for me. It's a feeling I've never had for a more restrained composer like Thomas Newman.

I've never hummed a Newman melody the way I've hummed the Raiders of the Lost Ark theme or Star Wars theme when I leave the theater. There a lot of times where the Newman score doesn't consciously register to me. But on rewatch, I've noticed the music and how it complements the action on the screen. And Newman does it so well, that it's easy to overlook.

It's 2 different styles. If a Newman score is working, it's a subtle boost to the mood of the movie. If it doesn't work, I don't notice the score. If a Williams score is working, it is an unforgettable triumphant piece of work that stays with you long after the movie is over. If it doesn't work, it just makes the film seem manipulative.

Lol. I thought people at CBR, watched cartoons. Looks like i was mistaken. Or at least none cared for the intros. One of the days i will ask about favorite intros in a separate thread. Most don't have memorable tunes.

Anyway here's a song i like a lot. I don't understand a word but i love it.

Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-25-2018 at 04:17 AM.

This is probably one of my favorite X-Men scores. This is a great scene, and I also REALLY love “Frankenstein’s Monster”.
    Yes i love that too. People remember that from this scene. Probably the best scene of the movie. The music is so menacing. I wonder why they don't use such tunes again. It really suits Magneto. It did for this film.

Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-25-2018 at 04:36 AM.

And i am partial to the 'Recruitment song' too. I like it a lot. It sounds 'funky'. Or at least, that's how i would put it. People remember that scene for Wolverine's cameo. I love the whole scene. Its like Avengers being brought together from the first Avengers except shorter, crispier and probably more fun. X-Men First Class is awesome. That's the main reason i like Matthew Vaughn for a Superman film. He can balance pathos and fun so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Yes i love that too. People remember that from this scene. Probably the best scene of the movie. The music is so menacing. I wonder why they don't use such tunes again. It really suits Magneto. It did for this film.

Speaking purely from the X-Men films, if I am not mistaken this is the only X-Men score that John Ottman did not write the music for. So my guess to why we didn't hear this particularly theme again, which was freaking perfect for Magneto, is because Ottman already had his own themes that he was using.

Speaking about use of music in films.

I love when music makes a scene cooler simply by being there. Kill Bill is my third favorite Tarantino film. Its so stylish and awesome. Just look at this scene(Music starts at 1.47. And is there for a short segment of the fight). Tarantino's film. Needn't warn you that it has violence. And spoiler for Kill Bill. For anyone who hasn't watched it.

I simply love this scene. Its amazing that the initial beats of what is essentially a romantic song is such an excellent addition to the scene.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-27-2018 at 08:29 PM.

I really love the Matrix theme. 'Clubbed To Death'.

I LOVE this scene. The music is so subtle but I get chills every time I hear the strings come in with Daredevil's theme.

BANNED

Speaking purely from the X-Men films, if I am not mistaken this is the only X-Men score that John Ottman did not write the music for. So my guess to why we didn't hear this particularly theme again, which was freaking perfect for Magneto, is because Ottman already had his own themes that he was using.
    As a tribute to Mathew. I have to add kick ass

One of my favorite pieces of music in any superhero film. I still feel goosebumps hearing this. Does anyone else?

Though goosebumps part maybe due to the end credits. Heard without that i still enjoy it.

Love that theme and I love Alan Silvestri!

I've started listening to the Chris Drake's score of the two animated Batman The Dark Knight Returns films, it's incredible how it's got the feel of the 80's yet it's sheer quality without being a parody of the 80's.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

One of the most underrated themes ever.

Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    I've started listening to the Chris Drake's score of the two animated Batman The Dark Knight Returns films, it's incredible how it's got the feel of the 80's yet it's sheer quality without being a parody of the 80's.
    Cool! I like those two films. Among animated themes i am partial to the 'All Star Superman' theme.

I feel that there's a sense of majesty as well as sadness in this tune. I like it a lot.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-07-2018 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    One of the most underrated themes ever.

Jerry Goldsmith I think? If so all of his work in the Star Trek series is vastly underrated!