Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    Jerry Goldsmith I think? If so all of his work in the Star Trek series is vastly underrated!
    It is indeed Jerry Goldsmith. Fantastic composer.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

There's also a kind of music which i don't hear more frequently. But fondly remember. I may listen to them once in a while like that 'Cardcaptors' song (which i think is also good on its own). But its more memorable due to association. Truly speaking most of the music i posted may feel strongly to me due to the associated experience of the film or show. I think 'All Star Superman' theme may be the best example for that. I don't think its a great theme. But due to the fact that i really like the film and its story the theme is special to me.

Kind of like this. I love Deathly Hallows Part 2. And while i think this theme is really good, it is enhanced due its association.

Remembered this as i was reminded of Deathy Hallows in another thread. 'Lily's theme' has association for Lily. The mother of Harry Potter. In this film's story her presence is felt.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-09-2018 at 06:25 AM.

I watched, “Hans Zimmer Live From Prague” last night on NetFlix, and it was PHENOMENAL!!! I would highly recommend watching it.

I was thinking recently, what movie/TV soundtracks or songs outshine the shows themselves?

If this is a worthy enough topic, I'll start a new thread for it. Or, someone else can. No biggie.

For me, 80's movies like Top Gun and Footloose lost their lustre ages ago, but the music from those films has held up well.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

I can remember one theme from the top of my head. 'Mortal Kombat'. I haven't seen the film but i have heard that its trash. But its theme is kick*ss. Posting it now.

And this might be controversial, but i think X-Men: Animated Series has not aged well. I loved that as a kid. But now its animation looks quite dated. I tried watching some episodes a while ago, and i was bored. No offence to its fans but i think X-Men Evolution is much better. But it can't be denied that the X-Men theme is awesome. And since i wanted to post about my favorite themes from cartoon shows here it is.

Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-11-2018 at 07:27 AM.

And speaking of themes which have gone beyond their shows the famous Spider-man theme definitely belongs here. The show kind of sucks. Repeated animated visuals. It has not aged well at all. But its theme is legend.

I did not like Thundercats even in those days. But its opening theme was cool.

@hulahulk, if you don't get any responses other then mine after sometime, it might be better to start another thread. I am quite sure people have responses to this question. Maybe they aren't visiting this thread. I mean who cares for music in films or tv? Maybe a couple of people here and there. But i am quite sure that most people have opinions about this topic you asked about.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-11-2018 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    I was thinking recently, what movie/TV soundtracks or songs outshine the shows themselves?

If this is a worthy enough topic, I'll start a new thread for it. Or, someone else can. No biggie.

For me, 80's movies like Top Gun and Footloose lost their lustre ages ago, but the music from those films has held up well.
    Off the top of my head: Jerry Goldsmiths score to the first Star Trek film definitely held that movie. His score was wonderful the film....not so much.

Recently Brian Tyler’s score to the Mummy reboot was WAAAAYYYY better than the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    I did not like Thundercats even in those days. But its opening theme was cool.

@hulahulk, if you don't get any responses other then mine after sometime, it might be better to start another thread. I am quite sure people have responses to this question. Maybe they aren't visiting this thread. I mean who cares for music in films or tv? Maybe a couple of people here and there. But i am quite sure that most people have opinions about this topic you asked about.
    The Thundercats theme is one of TV's best. I mean, ever. And you are right, its theme outshone the show.

I may start an additional thread but will send out a nod to this one since it got me thinkin'
    Last edited by hulahulk; 03-11-2018 at 01:44 PM. Reason: I hate it when I hit reply too soon

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    Off the top of my head: Jerry Goldsmiths score to the first Star Trek film definitely held that movie. His score was wonderful the film....not so much.

Recently Brian Tyler’s score to the Mummy reboot was WAAAAYYYY better than the film.

You bring up a good point about the first ST film and its score. When I saw it for the first time, I hated it because I was a kid and it wasn't Star Wars. However, I do recall the music being an important part of the experience (as much as a kid could appreciate, I guess, since I liked John Williams' stuff even though it may not be the same thing).

I haven't seen the new Mummy film -- gonna wait until Universal has a couple flicks released within this new project before even thinking about it. I'm guessing it'll be better that way.

This is a great thread idea. Music in TV and film is one of the things I really pay attention to. IMO, movies and TV can reach another level of quality based on scores and themes. I talk about this stuff all the time with my friends and it is a point of disbelief when some say that they don't really notice the music in TV and movies.

Some of my favourite movie and TV composers:

Hans Zimmer (Inception, Man of Steel, The Dark Knight)
    Ramin Djawadi (Game of Thrones, Iron Man, Pacific Rim)
    Alan Silvestri (Back to the Future, Predator, Cast Away)
    Michael Giacchino (Lost, Up, Star Trek)

Some composers whose work is so precious, but is very underrated:

Greg Edmonson of Firefly fame. I own the soundtrack of both the TV show and the movie Serenity. Greg Edmonson, IMO, understood Firefly like no one truly can. His scores throughout the episodes of Firefly is still stuff that can just be listened to over and over.

Steve Jablonsky of Transformers soundtrack fame. He wins a place as one of my favourite composers on the basis of themes like Sentinel Prime, The All-Spark and No Sacrifice, No Victory alone.

Patrick Doyle, for his work on movies like Thor and Rise of the Planet of the Apes. In fact, I felt that the music of Rise of the Planet of the Apes plays a really strong part in why I like it the most of the trilogy.

I didn't want to mention John Williams, just because he's a legend. His contribution is just on an epic level!
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

So...obviously, I forgot to mention James Horner in my initial post. The man had done so many great soundtracks and some of his themes are just so beautiful, that it cannot be described. Here's one of my favourites:

I want to cheat a little bit, just because I don't want to start a new thread in the video game forum. I really wanted to drop this one here, because it's worthy of being in film, IMO:

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    So...obviously, I forgot to mention James Horner in my initial post. The man had done so many great soundtracks and some of his themes are just so beautiful, that it cannot be described. Here's one of my favourites:

I LOVE James Horner!!!!! He knew how to capture and write emotions better than anyone.
    Our list of favorite composers is quite similar.

I really enjoy Hans Zimmer outside of his work for Chris Nolan. Me personally, I don’t much care for his Nolan scores as they are more effect and sound driven rather than driven by melodic content. I said this up above if you are a fan of Zimmer, watch his Live From Prague concert on Netflix! Phenomenal!