Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    This one was a real emotional one. The show went to crap after the first two seasons, IMO...but this score with the scenes. So well done:

Ah yes! Good ole Giacchino! Love that guy!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

With John Williams retiring from Star Wars after episode 9, I think Giacchino's a good choice as a replacement (although they might want to vary the composers here and there, as they're doing with "Solo" although Williams wrote part of that score).

I think he really managed to capture much of the Star Wars feel, somewhat better than William's scores for the last two films have. While Rey's theme and the March of the Resistance are pretty good, Kylo Ren/First Order theme is no Imperial march-but I'm really fond of Michael's Imperial suite in Rogue One, as well as his uses of all three of the previous Imperial themes (The ANH version, the Death Star theme and of course the Imperial march itself). Jyn's theme was also a nice, sort of rousing but also sad theme much like his prequel work (Across the Stars in particular).

I liked his update to the TOS theme in the Abrams Star Trek movies as well; he was really the first to really give it the sort of energy it had in the sixties, whereas the other TOS movies seldom used it (mainly for important moments like Spock's ressurection and the unveiling of the Enterprise-A), and usually toned it down a bit (It's kind of interesting what Jerry Goldsmith did with it in TMP though, mixing it with the V'ger "Blaster beam" sort of giving it a slightly more ominous feeling)
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    With John Williams retiring from Star Wars after episode 9, I think Giacchino's a good choice as a replacement (although they might want to vary the composers here and there, as they're doing with "Solo" although Williams wrote part of that score).

I think he really managed to capture much of the Star Wars feel, somewhat better than William's scores for the last two films have. While Rey's theme and the March of the Resistance are pretty good, Kylo Ren/First Order theme is no Imperial march-but I'm really fond of Michael's Imperial suite in Rogue One, as well as his uses of all three of the previous Imperial themes (The ANH version, the Death Star theme and of course the Imperial march itself). Jyn's theme was also a nice, sort of rousing but also sad theme much like his prequel work (Across the Stars in particular).

I liked his update to the TOS theme in the Abrams Star Trek movies as well; he was really the first to really give it the sort of energy it had in the sixties, whereas the other TOS movies seldom used it (mainly for important moments like Spock's ressurection and the unveiling of the Enterprise-A), and usually toned it down a bit (It's kind of interesting what Jerry Goldsmith did with it in TMP though, mixing it with the V'ger "Blaster beam" sort of giving it a slightly more ominous feeling)
    Williams is writing the Solo theme and John Powell is scoring the film. That should be interesting, really the Bourne films are the only Powell scores I have listened to.

I completely agree with you on Giacchino replacing Williams. He would be a very natural fit with how he approaches scoring films and writing for the orchestra. I won’t give him any crap for Rogue One as I think he wrote and recorded that in like two to three weeks, he came in REALLY late.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    Williams is writing the Solo theme and John Powell is scoring the film. That should be interesting, really the Bourne films are the only Powell scores I have listened to.

I completely agree with you on Giacchino replacing Williams. He would be a very natural fit with how he approaches scoring films and writing for the orchestra. I won’t give him any crap for Rogue One as I think he wrote and recorded that in like two to three weeks, he came in REALLY late.
    I haven't been as high on Giacchino in film as I have for his TV stuff. His best stuff, IMO, in film was Up and Star Trek (2009). However, I was not really fond of what he did for Doctor Strange and Spider-Man: Homecoming.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

One of my favorite TV themes of all time and written by the great John Williams. This one was one of his earlier works in scoring film/tv and he went by "Johnny Williams".

AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:

Nothing for me says more perfectly what Star Trek is than the opening theme of Voyager.

No word needed, no explanation, you just watch and listen. That's Star Trek right there.

I was just about to say...there haven't been a lot of upbeat/uplifting themes posted, IMO. So the contribution of Lost in Space is a welcomed one.

Also, forgot how good the Voyager theme was. Great contributions, peeps.

I don't know what it is about this one, but I've always loved it:

How about an uplifting theme from the late great, Mr. James Horner.

AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:

Also, I had never heard of the composer who scored the Netflix Lost In Space, but his score is INCREDIBLE! This is probably my favorite cue, especially the 7/8 groove that the timpani has towards the middle.

AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:

While it's basically a piano version of flight, I really love this track. This is Clark Kent, by Hans Zimmer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0pPM71YPe4

Time to resurrect this old thread. What are some scores you have listened to lately that have blown you away? I have two and both are scored by John Powell.
    1. How to Train Your Dragon- MY LORD WHAT A SCORE!!!! So beautiful and well done.
    2. Solo: A Star Wars Story- John has made a very good case to be the successor to Williams.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:

Invincible Member

I know he has no interest in it, but if Scorsese ever did do a superhero flick, the climax would look like this.
    Last edited by ed2962; 05-04-2021 at 07:51 PM.

BANNED

This is the moment. The Harry Potter series started getting to Lord of the rings level with film making.