Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Black Panther First Reactions Are In

Black Panther first reactions are in. Looks like Marvel has a new winner. Reactions appear to be really positive.

http://www.slashfilm.com/black-panther-early-buzz/

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...b0a52682ff59a1

A sample of reactions.

#BlackPanther is simply awesome. Extremely bold and as touching as it is thrilling, it boasts GOT-style intrigue, crazy innovative action and a deep bench of memorable characters. Top 5 all-time Marvel movie, easy. More later. pic.twitter.com/mmz8Nuf1sy

— Brian Truitt (@briantruitt)
    #BlackPanther is exceptional – the James Bond of the MCU. You've seen nothing like this in a superhero movie – it's bold, beautiful & intense, but there's a depth & spiritualness that is unlike anything Marvel has ever done. It's 100% African & it is dope af. pic.twitter.com/Z77IjnIjf2

— ErikDavis (@ErikDavis)
    BLACK PANTHER is incredible, kinetic, purposeful. A superhero movie about why representation & identity matters, and how tragic it is when those things are denied to people. The 1st MCU movie about something real; Michael B. Jordan’s Killmonger had me weeping and he’s the VILLAIN

— jen yamato (@jenyamato)
    Marvel has outdone themselves, #BlackPanther is remarkable and the best #Marvel film to date. Finally, a mature superhero film that doesn’t feel like a superhero film. Prepare to have your mind blown. Black Panther has officially redefined the superhero genre as we know it. Bravo

— Scott Menzel (@TheOtherScottM)
    BLACK PANTHER. Incredible. Real world building with Wakanda. Great mythology building around the Black Panther. Solid character development. Top notch action. Great narrative. Wonderful villain (rare for Marvel). Killer soundtrack. Fav MCU film since Civil War.

- John Campea( @johncampea)
    Praise is strong with this one.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 01-30-2018 at 06:33 AM.

Astonishing Member

I seriously can't wait for this movie. Can it be Feb 16th already!

Wow they lifted the embargo early but im loving what im hearing so far. But Coogler has yet to not impress me with a movies hes made. This might be blasphemy but Creed is my favorite rocky movie lol.

Love that they are playing up the spiritual aspect. Just hope the Soul stone is just a tool to commune with the Panther god and not its origin.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 01-30-2018 at 06:37 AM.

BANNED

wow looks like yet another flop...back to the drawing board you go Marvel

Reading through all the reviews seem alot of ppl seem to think Killmonger is a great villian with development and a emotional arc. Alot saying hes the best.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news...b7Kz&ocid=iehp but the MCU movies are just for kids and for laughs though!

This is the 16th MCU movie, right? That streak must be some kind of record. I don't think any other studio can say that they've made 16 positively received movies in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Reading through all the reviews seem alot of ppl seem to think Killmonger is a great villian with development and a emotional arc. Alot saying hes the best.
    Yes it makes me happy. I don't think that there's a villain problem in MCU. They are mostly good but relatively underused. Still its a common complaint. And a great villain is always good news.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Yes it makes me happy. I don't think that there's a villain problem in MCU. They are mostly good but relatively underused. Still its a common complaint. And a great villain is always good news.
    Yea i saw a view reviews that said Killmongers arc will have you in tears. So i assume its more then simple revenge because his family was exiled.

BANNED

Default Black Panther *Spoilers*

Although I personally believe that if a thing can be spoiled, it wasn't very good to begin with, I understand my view isn't widely shared. I have noticed some spoilers starting to appear in the other thread, and it seemed like a good idea to create this for a place to put those kinds of posts.

Go ahead, spoil me!

Im not coming back into this thread till i see it tonight. But yhis is the first time in a long time iv avoided Spoilers. Usually i dont care. I knew about he Vulture twist in SMHC and it still went overwell. But BP gets special treatment from me. Ill be back tonight to post my review

Well I am not going out of my way to spoil but what stood out to me was this movie is just as much about the US today as it is about Africa. Yes there are lots of Afrofuturist nods (am I even spelling that right?) and plenty of references to various cultures with costumes architecture and characterisations, but the overriding feeling you get is that this is a message movie and the message is aimed inwards.

The idea of Wakanda as a story device is equally problematic as it is empowering. The ‘lost kingdom’ idea is itself an idealised notion from the west that allows us to place other continents into our imagination as other and alien. This Wakanda is very alien but it is also very familiar. The idea of Africa being a land of natural resources is also influenced by colonial ideals, so Vibranium becomes a symbol in the movie. It was always a symbol of course, but symbols mutate with the times and now this is about who gets to control and handle the wealth it provides and how that wealth is shared. Again this is a reflection of the way western economies hide behind austere poverty and reduce overseas spending, or want to have a say in how that spending is used.

There is so much here about the Black US experience that the main antagonist is the very embodiment of the disenfranchised diaspora. Criminal father, angry about being denied his heritage, wanting the rich nations to be undermined by destabilising them. It is no accident that part of the plan is to do this by pretty much the way developing but classified ‘rogue’ nations have been deliberately destabilised by means both economic and by covert military means. It is almost a weakness of the movie that they decide to also use more direct military means.

Anyway so much to depack. Those are just some random thoughts that got to the surface first.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 02-15-2018 at 12:01 PM.

There is a lot being said about Michael B Jordan’s part in the movie. Especially that he outshines Boseman.

For a start the two actors need to mutually support each other, so part of Jordan’s performance is how Killmonger is the opposite and equal of T’Challa. They are the same person brought up on different sides of the track. It is also vital for the way the movie is structured that Killmonger is identifiable to the audience his character represents, he needs to be effortlessly cool, he needs to be able to assert himself and he needs to be very competent as a fighter.

This is a driven man who has grafted to get into the position he is in. It would probably have been easier to map the obscure corners of Africa than to work his way up into a black ops mercenary assassin job.

His message needs to be heard by the audience for the ending to work. It is not enough for T’Challa to understand his point, we need to. That’s a lot of weight on a single actor’s shoulders. Especially when they decided to stretch his plan to include dispatching planes. This is only done to give Ross something to do, and it almost strains credulity that Killmonger would want to do this on day one. Again he has to sell this and exposition is needed to support it.

So is he acting Boseman off the screen? No. Is he having to be the central character for large portions of the business end of the movie. Yes, and he does it magnificently. The camera loves him just as much as everyone else. There are a lot of impossibly beautiful people in this movie, and they can all act.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 02-15-2018 at 12:21 PM.

Just got home. But i loved it, the only complaints i have are the CGI was weak in some places. I literaly liked or loved every character. I liked what they did with M'Baku. He was more like a Silver Samurai type charatcer then ManApe but it worked.

One question why the hell does tchaka still have a fu**ed up eye in the after life? Lol im jk just something i was wondering in story. From a production standpoint thats the actors eye(Or glass eye maybe?)

Oh and Sigphi the score was almost all African music. I think they played Kendrick during the big chase scene and it was playing on Klaues radio. It was background noise. Then they played him again during the credits

Man Marvel dont like villians. They got rid of two of them and made the other a good guy. Oh and Tossed Hunters title off on bucky as a throw away line for comic fans. Thought its small enough Hunter can still be white wolf and pop up in the Sequel.

Oh and anyone complaing about Tchalla losing a fight. Go read a comic with Killmonger. He has a history of stomping Tchalla

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

THAT. WAS. AWEEEEEEEEEESOOOOOOOOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was everything I thought it would be and more! The story flowed perfectly, it had superb fight scenes, lots of action, great actors and the dialogue was perfect.

I love how the whole movie was centered around honor. Killmonger was not honorable. Black Panther was. I like how the point of that was driven throughout the movie, and it was great.

Outside of BP, Shuri stole the show. She was hilarious, kicked butt, invented cool tech, is beautiful and played by the amazing Letitia Wright. She was just outstanding! I really hope she has a big role in the upcoming Avengers IW movie. I want more of her!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BP was super cool. I mean, between his awesome display of fighting skills, sweet costume, impeccable character and big time tech...he was kicking serious butt! I thought all the actors in the whole movie were fantastic, but Chadwick was amazing. Him and Letitia...I just don't have the words. They were incredible.

Michael B. Jordan was also very cool as Killmonger. So was Serkis as Claw. I have to say, I was surprised they killed him off in this one. I thought for sure he would be in the next one. But that's cool because I don't like it when it seems like no one dies.

Danai was great as Okoye, as was Forest Whitaker, Lupia, Daniel (I've liked him ever since the Fades), Martin Freeman as Ross. All outstanding actors. I'm not sure they could have done a better job of casting.

The fight scene between BP and Killmonger at the end was really cool. The two costumes looked awesome, but I think BP's silver with black is more stunning and works better.

Towards the end of the movie, I leaned over to my son and said "I bet the last Infinity Gem is in Wakanda" and he said "Yeah".

I just love this movie. It's easily one of Marvel's best. I give it a 9/10. Now I can't wait to see them in Avengers IW. In the meantime, rock on BP!!

“Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor