Page 26 of 77 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I like The Wolverine but I'm probably the only person in the world who actually liked him fighting a giant samurai robot at the end .

I remember all the times he trolled people in Earth's Mightiest Heroes (especially Hawkeye) .
    Lol yea but even in that its dry humor and he speaks very monotone and deliberately. But i mean he has fun and jokes with Cap all the time. Im not saying his grim serious but most the time he carrys himself in a stoic way and only speaks with a purpose. Hes the anti Hawkeye

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Can you tell me who Sterling K Brown is in this movie without Spoiling anything? Im afraid to google it becauae of Spoilers. And is Hunter in it at all or refferenced?
    I don't really want to say anything about his role. It's better if you watch the film yourself.

As for your second question, pretty sure no.
    Last edited by HowitzerJoe; 02-14-2018 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    Errrm...don't really want to say anything about his role, because it might be spoiler territory.

As for your second question, pretty sure no.
    Ok thanks, ill find out tomarrow night.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Spoiler free Double toasted review
    https://youtu.be/FT6XXVjbKDo

For the ppl who saw it. Is it true that Tchalla is the least interesting character in the movie? And is that a knock or is everyone else just that good? But honestly michale B jordan is great and you know his BFF Coogler was gonna take care of him and let him shine
    The Double Toasted Review is on point. I like the 4 different points of view, but all coming to the conclusion this movie is different and relevant.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Your examples have nothing to do with colonialism.

Taking stuff is just taking stuff.
    Colonialism is just taking stuff when a nation does it.

Looking at RottenTomatoes.com, of the 36 Top Critics review, it's got 36 fresh reviews.

That's just downright impressive.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Hmmmm, no. No it definitely isn’t. That is raiding.

Colonialism is when you start to shape the nation into something you want or need it to be, creating an entire culture that you impose upon the population, replacing and suppressing the original culture. It is often an insidious mixture of well-meaning patronage and selfish goals whereby the colonists themselves get twisted into corruption and authoritarianism while excusing their actions as enlightened.

This is why Heart of Darkness is a touchstone. It is both about this phenomenon and also a part of it. It highlights this capacity for corruption but at the same time places blame partly on the nature of the ‘Dark Continent’.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 02-15-2018 at 02:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Looking at RottenTomatoes.com, of the 36 Top Critics review, it's got 36 fresh reviews.

That's just downright impressive.
    It is a very impressive movie. I do worry slightly that the mainstream audience might not like it as much as critics. There is a lot of the kind of thing critics love in this movie. I am a critic by nature, I don’t really get immersed in stories so I also loved it because I had plenty to think about during the car chases etc. I am reassured that people around me also seemed to love it.

Do we think this thread should begin to spin off into a spoiler discussion thread at some point? I am walking on eggshells trying not to talk about the movie. I am not sure I could summarise it well enough to kick one off.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Do we think this thread should begin to spin off into a spoiler discussion thread at some point? I am walking on eggshells trying not to talk about the movie. I am not sure I could summarise it well enough to kick one off.
    One guy's take, most of the theaters here in the US will have screenings starting Thursday in the evening.

It seems like someone starting a "Spoiler"/"Discussion" thread Thursday evening should happen to try to keep this thread as "Spoiler" free as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    One guy's take, most of the theaters here in the US will have screenings starting Thursday in the evening.

It seems like someone starting a "Spoiler"/"Discussion" thread Thursday evening should happen to try to keep this thread as "Spoiler" free as possible.
    Sounds reasonable. This is a little like Star Wars VII for me. Want to talk about it but can't. Except that was the opposite because I was trying to get my head around how much I didn't like SW.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    No that is looting. When a country conquers a territory they can choose among a few options.

1. They can simply rob the country of its gold and other resources and leave.

2. They can stay and rule. From this it can be two more ways.

(a) They can stay and make it their home. So, they do take care of the conquered country as kings or rulers ought to do. They feel it to be like a new home.

(b) Or they can stay and specifically use its resources 'to benefit their home country'. The enslaved country is ruled over but they don't care a bit for the well being of the conquered nation. The kind pointed at (a) suggests that they kind of make it a new home and so try to benefit the conquered country. But this kind of rulers may do something good or bad only to benefit their own home country. These are colonialists. European nations in 19th and 20th centuries are prominent examples.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-15-2018 at 05:11 AM.

The two basis of colonialism are exploitation and enslavement of body, yes, but also and mostly of mind. Simple as that. The whole thing of course covered behind the disguise of "civilization" and/or "religious enlightenment".

It's taking out the right of a people to govern themselves and then brutally, mercilessly, remorselessly exploiting them, stealing from them, raping them and then try to make them think it's for their best.

Two things us Europeans have never lacked are cynicism and hypocrisy and boy, do we shared that with the rest of the world or what?

I think we have Colonialism defined properly now between us. So is Klaw a stand in for colonialism? Yes and no, mostly not. He is seeking to exploit the natural resources of a nation he believes he can bend to his will. He isn't part of a concerted effort to subsume that part of the world as part of an empire, but he is tied up with the whole Nazi thing. So he is pretty much a comic book bad guy with an exploitation angle. The Nazi's are hardly a good way to put up a mirror to European or US colonial attitudes, even if they could be used that way in real life, they are painted as straight forward evil and other which spoils the analogy.

Is he a colonialist in the movies? He is more of a criminal opportunist.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 02-15-2018 at 05:53 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I think we have Colonialism defined properly now between us. So is Klaw a stand in for colonialism? Yes and no, mostly not. He is seeking to exploit the natural resources of a nation he believes he can bend to his will. He isn't part of a concerted effort to subsume that part of the world as part of an empire, but he is tied up with the whole Nazi thing. So he is pretty much a comic book bad guy with an exploitation angle. The Nazi's are hardly a good way to put up a mirror to European or US colonial attitudes, even if they could be used that way they are painted as straight forward evil and other.

Is he a colonialist in the movies? He is more of a criminal opportunist.
    its a bit of both, he is a criminal but he also probably doesn't have a high opinion of Wakanda to start with