Page 54 of 77 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast

Did this thread get merged with another thread? I don't remember it being this long.
    Superhero shows are trash

Quote Originally Posted by bobellis75 View Post
    speaking to the plot becoming predictable...I did think it was very anticlimactic. I loved the movie...they did a lot right. But just seemed like it was all the sudden over. I thought there would be more to it than the last fight on the train tracks. And then BP just all the sudden takes him down with a quick/slick move. After Killmonger whupped his ass in the challenge. I thought they would have had him figure out some way to beat him based on the previous fight maybe. I dunno. It was clever how he got the suits to deactivate on the tracks, but then that puts them on equal footing, with no technology, and we saw that on equal footing (in the challenge), Killmonger was the better fighter.
    The ending did get predictablr but thats not unuausal for a Marvel movie. I think it sticks out more in this one becauae the 2nd act was so good. Like everyone and theyre mama knew Mbaku was gonna show up. That was cliche and predictable but not neccesarily bad.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    my favorite so far (outside the movie) has been the cultural reaction

teachers are developing curriculum to explain colonialism with this

kids are still going on field trips to see it

and then you have the angry mayonnaise jars trying to downplay all of that
    Heard somebody called a Colonizer in real life at a gas station. Not gonna lie It cracked me up.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    Heard somebody called a Colonizer in real life at a gas station. Not gonna lie It cracked me up.
    I heard some people bristling at that comment. I personally didn't feel offended by it. Nor did I feel offended by the "great, another broken white man for us to fix" comment. I actually laughed really hard in the theaters when she said that.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I show people this video whenever they ask why the movie is getting all the praise it's receiving

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I show people this video whenever they ask why the movie is getting all the praise it's receiving

Yeah, sadly, I don't think when judged by the film's own technical merits in terms of story telling, character development, action, effects, it's a good movie but not great. As you may have heard, a lot of praise comes from the whole "all black cast" and representation thing. This is kind of similar to how Wonder Woman pushed the whole girl power narrative with "A WOMAN superhero on screen for the first time with a WOMAN director at the helm." It's fine if people feel empowered by that, hell, I'm Asian and get zero representation in Hollywood to begin with. Imagine if people glossed over Ghostbusters 2016 shortcomings by repeatedly harping on the fact that "It's a group of women showing that they can be strong, funny, and kick ass" or something of that nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Bukdiah View Post
    Yeah, sadly, I don't think when judged by the film's own technical merits in terms of story telling, character development, action, effects, it's a good movie but not great. As you may have heard, a lot of praise comes from the whole "all black cast" and representation thing. This is kind of similar to how Wonder Woman pushed the whole girl power narrative with "A WOMAN superhero on screen for the first time with a WOMAN director at the helm." It's fine if people feel empowered by that, hell, I'm Asian and get zero representation in Hollywood to begin with. Imagine if people glossed over Ghostbusters 2016 shortcomings by repeatedly harping on the fact that "It's a group of women showing that they can be strong, funny, and kick ass" or something of that nature.
    Personally I thought it was a great movie. I do hear good things about outside representation mainly Killmonger and character work that went into the film. If it had better action and CGI it couldn't have been on the level of Winter Soldier.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Personally I thought it was a great movie. I do hear good things about outside representation mainly Killmonger and character work that went into the film. If it had better action and CGI it couldn't have been on the level of Winter Soldier.
    Where does Black Panther rank in terms of MCU films for you?

I do agree that I thought the action for the most part was dull/lackluster and the CGI was some of the roughest in the films so far. I agree with the praise for Killmonger as a great antagonist (about time Marvel had some decent ones) but differ greatly with others (though maybe some agree?) of Jordan's role as him.

I thought Killmonger was a good idea but Jordan's delivery felt like he was just trying to sound intimidating all the time versus actually being it and some of his dialogue was very cringey eg "I guess it's over for you COUSIN", "Nah, that trial shit is over wit"

Jordan's delivery to me was like Key and Peele's tough guy voice lol

I liked WW but didn't love it however it's a more iconic figure than Panther. There was no 1970s Black Panther TV show on ABC, if so it would have starred Levar Burton. That said Coogler's Black Panther was a better overal film than Patty Jenkins Wonder Woman.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Where does Black Panther rank in terms of MCU films for you?

I do agree that I thought the action for the most part was dull/lackluster and the CGI was some of the roughest in the films so far. I agree with the praise for Killmonger as a great antagonist (about time Marvel had some decent ones) but differ greatly with others (though maybe some agree?) of Jordan's role as him.

I thought Killmonger was a good idea but Jordan's delivery felt like he was just trying to sound intimidating all the time versus actually being it and some of his dialogue was very cringey eg "I guess it's over for you COUSIN", "Nah, that trial shit is over wit"

Jordan's delivery to me was like Key and Peele's tough guy voice lol

I'm leaning on it being on my top 5 but it's not cemented yet. I want to watch it again before making that call. Right now I'll put it under the last two Cap movies and on par with the original Guardians as far as personal enjoyment.

I didn't have a problem with Jordan's delivery. I figure he talks the way he does having grown up in Oakland.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    The ending did get predictablr but thats not unuausal for a Marvel movie. I think it sticks out more in this one becauae the 2nd act was so good. Like everyone and theyre mama knew Mbaku was gonna show up. That was cliche and predictable but not neccesarily bad.
    It stuck out because killmonger wasn't actually allowed to do evil. Since he got the crown people were plotting to take him down.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    Racism is cool now?

Extraordinary Member

Saying Asians get zero representation in Hollywood is bit of a stretch. And implying that BP is getting over because it's black ppl starring is bullshit.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    It stuck out because killmonger wasn't actually allowed to do evil. Since he got the crown people were plotting to take him down.

Racism is cool now?
    Quit while you're not ahead. You don't know the context, and I never mentioned a persons race. So please don't even.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Killing his lover and Zuri in cold blood isn't evil? The way he disrespects Wakandian culture during his brief time as king?

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Saying Asians get zero representation in Hollywood is bit of a stretch. And implying that BP is getting over because it's black ppl starring is bullshit.
    Seriously? Aside from Jackie Chan or Jet Li, who really got any love in Hollywood? Notice the former two do martial arts movies. If you wanna count Indians or Pakistani folk as Asian (I'm Southeast Asian), they are just getting "normal" roles shown by people like Aziz Ansari or Kumail Nanjiani where they are not just 711 workers or taxi drivers.

To deny that a ton of praise given to Black Panther by pointing out that most of it revolves around "all black cast" or "positive representation of Africans" or "finally have someone that looks like me on screen" is bullshit when it's harped on constantly? I don't see how that can be.