Page 60 of 77 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Oh Yes, even on these forums some are suggesting the movie is getting acclaim because it's an all black cast which just isn't true.

Yeah, audiences love it too. I just read somewhere that the turnout for the second weekend was one of the most diverse ever.
    I seen a few of those ppl but trying to explain why BP is a good movie to them is a waste of time. Why even give attention to them.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    I agree with you. All points mentioned are valid. But the conclusion that critics somehow love it more due to this is suspect.

Before trying to explain anything i will suggest what is common sense. People like a movie just because they like it. Its as simple as that.

One can then get into discussions about what they liked and what they didn't. And see from different points of view to appreciate more or reject it.

It is outpacing Avengers. People are loving it just as much if not more then Avengers.
    I agree trying to justify why you like something is just giving too much power away.

Quote Originally Posted by obatalla View Post
    Micheal was good in creed and his other movies ... this I thought was a bad performance.
    Ok I disagree but fair enough

I like Michael B Jordan as an actor, and I liked his performance up to the point where he arrived in Wakanda. I thought that, once he got to Wakanda, his acting was a bit too over the top. He was too bombastic and crazy, though honestly, that could have been the direction or the writing at fault. I felt like his character should have been less of a bully and more of a tactical thinker. He got that opportunity by tactical thinking, but once he achieved what he came for, he kind of turned into an idiot.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    I like Michael B Jordan as an actor, and I liked his performance up to the point where he arrived in Wakanda. I thought that, once he got to Wakanda, his acting was a bit too over the top. He was too bombastic and crazy, though honestly, that could have been the direction or the writing at fault. I felt like his character should have been less of a bully and more of a tactical thinker. He got that opportunity by tactical thinking, but once he achieved what he came for, he kind of turned into an idiot.

Yes he just seemed like a brute which didn’t make sense considering his education and special ops training...poor direction.

Yes they are hyped. I think its possible that they might get slightly inflated scores. But not so much that a 70 in RT gets 90+. Critics give scores based on what they think. I cited examples. There are other black lead films. Other female lead films. But not every film gets this kind of score.

I would like to hear what you thought were problems with its screenplay. If only in brief. I also don't think its great. But far better then simply good as you said. I love Civil War. Its my favorite MCU film. Among my favorite superhero films. But even i know that its cinematography is average. By comparison Snyder's films both MoS and BvS have far better cinematography then just about any MCU film. But its the overall experience which counts. Of course i am no film expert or a critic who looks or even can look at a film from all levels. But i can speak what i feel about a film.

RT is not a very good metric for quality. It simply means that 97 percent critics think that its a film worth seeing. That it is at least good. Metacritic is a better metric. But even there it has a stellar 88. Each of those 50 critics have given 8.8/10 on an average.

I can give examples where i don't like acclaimed films. Where i can somewhat see why they get such acclaim. But i don't like them at all. Slumdog Millionaire and Dunkirk come right at the top of my head. I even think that Ghostbusters the original is overrated. It was okay. But far from a film which i expected it to be considering its popularity.

I am not implying that you are wrong. No film is universally beloved. But is it possible that you simply like a film which is generally loved by a good number of people? Of course i don't know what you feel are its weaker points. So, i maybe wrong about your opinion.
    Hey, Soubhagya (pronounced Soob-hey-gia ?). I did a post a while back and listed pros and cons that I thought of the movie. Every since the merge, I'm not entirely sure where it is and with how quickly this thread grows and the multiple conversations happening at once, it gets a bit overwhelming. I'll look around and probably add to it or elaborate more when I get the time.

I've been busying applying and setting up job interviews before my current work contract expires! Bast be with me or Hanuman since M'baku was cool lol
    Superhero shows are trash

Ultimate Member

Watching Age of Ultron to pass the time.

Ultron gave Klaw billions for the vibranium. I guess they never had time to address that in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bukdiah View Post
    Hey, Soubhagya (pronounced Soob-hey-gia ?). I did a post a while back and listed pros and cons that I thought of the movie. Every since the merge, I'm not entirely sure where it is and with how quickly this thread grows and the multiple conversations happening at once, it gets a bit overwhelming. I'll look around and probably add to it or elaborate more when I get the time.

I've been busying applying and setting up job interviews before my current work contract expires! Bast be with me or Hanuman since M'baku was cool lol
    Never mind (for now) how my name is pronounced. I will have to think of words which match the pronunciation and come back to you later. Don't worry. I will look it up. If you've to elaborate do so after you are not busy with your work.

I loved M'Baku too. I am amazed by how rich the world of Black Pantger is. Even an insignificant character can be so unique. Weird that they used the name of Hanuman. Last time i checked he is from India's culture and not from Africa. I would know for sure as we worship Lord Hanuman here. For you my prayers go to Lord Hanuman. Even though i worship his Lord, "Lord Ram".

A picture of Lord Hanuman to bring auspiciousness.

And one of Lord Hanuman with 'his' Lord.

"I pray that Lord Hanuman blesses you with success and wisdom."

Don't look at me that way. I pray for wisdom myself. As i know that for all my knowledge there's a lot that i don't know.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-25-2018 at 08:03 PM.

Never mind (for now) how my name is pronounced. I will have to think of words which match the pronunciation and come back to you later. Don't worry. I will look it up. If you've to elaborate do so after you are not busy with your work.

I loved M'Baku too. I am amazed by how rich the world of Black Pantger is. Even an insignificant character can be so unique. Weird that they used the name of Hanuman. Last time i checked he is from India's culture and not from Africa. I would know for sure as we worship Lord Hanuman here. For you my prayers go to Lord Hanuman. Even though i worship his Lord, "Lord Ram".

A picture of Lord Hanuman to bring auspiciousness.

And one of Lord Hanuman with 'his' Lord.

"I pray that Lord Hanuman blesses you with success and wisdom."

Don't look at me that way. I pray for wisdom myself. As i know that for all my knowledge there's a lot that i don't know.

Apparently they called the ape god Hanuman as a Easter egg for Indias marvel fans. But then they bleeped it out in India apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Apparently they called the ape god Hanuman as a Easter egg for Indias marvel fans. But then they bleeped it out in India apparently.
    Which is weird actually. I came to know of it online. A missed chance. There always exists a few people who are thin skinned everywhere. But generally speaking most of us would have been happy. For all there is Hanuman actually is a superhero on his own. More so then other gods in our pantheon.

As an Easter egg it makes sense. I can't think how else it fits into the film. Or does there exist a Hanuman in Black Panther comics?
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-25-2018 at 10:06 PM.

Which is weird actually. I came to know of it online. A missed chance. There always exists a few people who are thin skinned everywhere. But generally speaking most of us would have been happy. For all there is Hanuman actually is a superhero on his own. More so then other gods in our pantheon.

As an Easter egg it makes sense. I can't think how else it fits into the film. Or does there exist a Hanuman in Black Panther comics?
    Ghekre or something like that but it's not talked about much anyway. I mean I don't care personally but Wakandas gods come from Africa. Bast is Egyptian right? So it's weird to have random god from India but if ppl from India appreciate it I have no issue with it

But I think most Wakanda gods were part of Egyptian lore. Upon a Google search Ghekre is from west Africa. Makes sense the outcast tribe worships a god not closely related to central tribes.

Upon further google search Ghekre might be closely associated with the Egyptian god a'ani. So nevermind
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 02-25-2018 at 10:26 PM.

I honestly think Klaw was the More entertaining villain.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by obatalla View Post
    Yes he just seemed like a brute which didn’t make sense considering his education and special ops training...poor direction.
    So you don't think someone can be highly educated and trained in the military and be abusive? That's very short sighted. And if you pay attention to the movie he was using the destabilizing tactics he learned from the C.I.A on the Wakandans. Which pretty much went in line with his training. So poor direction...no.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 02-26-2018 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bukdiah View Post
    Hey, Soubhagya (pronounced Soob-hey-gia ?).
    The closest I can put it into words: Sa(not saa)-ooo-bhaa-gy-uh

Many Indian names are pronounced wrongly at the end because of the spelling. Ex. Mahabharata shouldn't make "aah" sound at the end. It should end with "T".
    Last edited by SpiderClops; 02-26-2018 at 12:48 AM.

BANNED

Writing can be a very tricky thing especially when you Are dealing with a touchy subject. race. Any weak writing can easily turn the character into an angry black man stereotype. I would not call Killmonger that because the angry black man stereotype can still be a loveable character.

Killmonger was none of that. some people have compared him to Magneto,I don't see that in his personality or goals. I compared him more to Loki but Loki is not crazy or bombastic. Loki is actually sympathetic, misguided and likebale. Killmonger is none of that. his similarities to Loki was wanting the throne.