Page 24 of 77 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474 ... LastLast

I heard Spec Ops was just an okay game but I might give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    I'd guess the film won't have much in the way of similarities.
    I guess i became too enthusiastic. Apocalypse Now was more on the futility and madness of war. About descent to darkness of human soul. Or at least that was what i got from watching it. I don't think Black Panther would tackle these ideas. May be it has something to do with Heart of Darkness that i haven't read. Themes of colonialism i guess. If you are discussing colonialism my reading into the matter suggests conquest and rule. That a powerful nation or state conquers another sovereign state and exploits that land and its resources for the benefit of their own country at the cost of the colony.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Yes and no. But if you 'love' Apocalypse Now then I beg you to read it. It is really short. You could easily read it in an evening. It is a phenomenal piece of literature that is loved and hated equally by modern critics.
    It absolutely holds up on it's own, but I would certainly suggest a fan of Apocalypse Now at least give reading it a try.
    Thank you for the recommendation. Its funny that i have the book with me but i haven't gotten around to reading it. While i say that i love Apocalypse Now its not that i happen to be a massive fan. In fact, i have watched it only once last year. But i loved the film. A wonderful film which i plan to watch someday soon. If the book is as good as you are suggesting, i will enjoy it. I will read it as soon as i can.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    I beg you too! Such a great book...
    Okay. Okay. I am reading that soon. I did not know that it was a beloved book. It looks like there are quite a number of fans in CBR.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-14-2018 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    or if you've ever played a game called "Spec Ops: The Line", contemporary shooter version of 'Heart Of Darkness'
    Now, I have to duck back in for a sec.

While I heard something about one of those games being based on it, I just shrugged it off. They actually tried it? Was it even in the ballpark?(don't drag the thread too far off..)

BANNED

Now, I have to duck back in for a sec.

While I heard something about one of those games being based on it, I just shrugged it off. They actually tried it? Was it even in the ballpark?(don't drag the thread too far off..)
    it actually was, the framing is different

its set in Dubai, but it is very much in that neighborhood - Apocalypse Now/Heart Of Darkness

so the theater I am going to for BP will be giving away some cool fan stuff for the Thursday night showings

If you think you can separate the ivory trade aspect from the rest of the story, we'll have to disagree. Probably not much of a point in dragging the thread off course with that tangent.
    Nobody said anything about separating it out, but it would be like saying Apocalypse Now was about the Vietnam War. It is a setting and a context not the point of the book. And the reason I say this is because you seem to be equating Klaw's designs on Vibranium with Kurtz and the ivory trade, and they bear absolutely no similarity whatsoever.

I'd guess the film won't have much in the way of similarities.
    Well you could probably write a thesis on comparing and contrasting the two. Suffice to say they are entirely different stories with entirely different settings and entirely different approaches. They are technically rooted in the same place and explore very similar ideas from different angles. Both could be ripped to pieces by a post-colonial critic focused on Western ideals and notions of Africa, but I suspect we won't be hearing such critiques of Black Panther for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    I guess i became too enthusiastic. Apocalypse Now was more on the futility and madness of war. About descent to darkness of human soul. Or at least that was what i got from watching it. I don't think Black Panther would tackle these ideas. May be it has something to do with Heart of Darkness that i haven't read. Themes of colonialism i guess. If you are discussing colonialism my reading into the matter suggests conquest and rule. That a powerful nation or state conquers another sovereign state and exploits that land and its resources for the benefit of their own country at the cost of the colony.
    Read it first then maybe when the dust has settled there is a thread that could be opened about the comparisons.

It looks like there are quite a number of fans in CBR.
    Fans, not sure, it is just one of those books that keeps being revisited in modern culture, like The Tempest for example.

The soundtrack (Kendrick Lamar produced one) is already number 1 on the charts.

Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

He seems like a cool dude. Glad he is getting the success he deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    He seems like a cool dude. Glad he is getting the success he deserves.
    That is the truth. It was great seeing him hold his own against the likes of Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Evans, and even Daniel Bruhl (even if his character was meh, I'm a fan of Bruhl's acting overall). Boseman's going far.

Spoiler free Double toasted review
    https://youtu.be/FT6XXVjbKDo

For the ppl who saw it. Is it true that Tchalla is the least interesting character in the movie? And is that a knock or is everyone else just that good? But honestly michale B jordan is great and you know his BFF Coogler was gonna take care of him and let him shine
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 02-14-2018 at 10:38 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post

For the ppl who saw it. Is it true that Tchalla is the least interesting character in the movie? And is that a knock or is everyone else just that good? But honestly michale B jordan is great and you know his BFF Coogler was gonna take care of him and let him shine
    ive only read 2 spoiler free reviews and it seems that everyone else is that damn good, not that Boseman is bad but we (the audience) already know a lot about him, so learning about the other characters enhances them a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    That is the truth. It was great seeing him hold his own against the likes of Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Evans, and even Daniel Bruhl (even if his character was meh, I'm a fan of Bruhl's acting overall). Boseman's going far.
    I knew he had a bright future when I saw him in 42. His portrayal of Jackie Robinson was fantastic.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I'm hoping to have my full review up by tomorrow night but I don't generally agree with this. Michael B Jordan is a terrific actor but I thought his character stuck so closely to the "angry black man with daddy and race issues" stereotype that I mostly just found him exceptionally annoying.

Again, this isn't to take away from Jordan, who is never less than good, and there is a thematic purpose to his character but I'm so beyond sick of that particular black stereotype.

T'Challa and Boseman, on the other hand, may be the least showy character in the movie but he's basically Nelson Mandela as a superhero (hell even his speech patterns clearly evoke Mandela), which is a really interesting and quite unique idea - and also works perfectly for thematic reasons.

Actually, the further I get from the film and the more I can judge it free of its hype, the more I like it - just often for quite different reasons than I do most Marvel movies.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Of course it isn’t true. But he is the protagonist in an action movie. Think about who the greats at this are. They play neutral characters that you can project yourself onto. Villains and support are supposed to be more striking. Also those comparing the antagonist are ignoring the fact that the two men are foils for each other. Two sides of the same coin. Both have to be interesting for either of them to be so.

Oh and everyone is that good. The acting is out of this world for a superhero movie. This is going to make people sit up and notice the genre is coming of age.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 02-14-2018 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    As a black nerd, it shocks and disappoints me that something like racism is prevalent in geek culture of all places.
    I can understand being disappointed. I have no idea why it would shock you, though.

I always expect it.

And I'm never wrong.
    Last edited by Xero Kaiser; 02-14-2018 at 01:17 PM.