Page 4 of 77 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I was disappointed that they went with such an uninspired design for his suit, to where it's basically the same thing T'Challa's sporting aside from a different head sculpt.

But it sounds like the writing and Michael B. Jordan's performance make that a moot point.
    I'm guessing it's a plot point that his suit basically looks like T'Challa. He probably ends up stealing some advanced BP prototype suit to even the playing field when they fight.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Wellp, that's a first. But thanks!

I admit, I was pretty disappointed to see Killmonger henshin into a Black Panther clone, as that's a superhero cliche by now (the villain with identical powers and abilities as the hero). But now with all this hype, I may have to revise that expectation, at least for this movie. Especially with the comments that Killmonger is an actual, full-fledged character in his own right.
    Technically Killmonger being a Black Panther clone is drawing from the Priest era comics since he fought T Challa and won earning the right to BE the Black Panther. Though it might be confusing in the film if they were to go at it both in Black Panther costumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    I fully expect this movie to be a hit with audiences and critics, but I never EVER put any stock in the initial twitter/social media reactions, EVERY movie gets positive hype from them, BatmanvSuperman, Suicide Squad, Justice League, were all praised to high heaven in the early twitter reactions, it means nothing. Movie should be fine, but don't put any stock in this stuff.
    If i remember it correctly Batman v Superman's social embargo was lifted a few days before critical embargo. The positive hype was coming mostly from the fans. Fans can be hyperbolic in their initial reactions. I was one myself. Calling Justice League one of the best superhero films of all time. I enjoyed it that much. I don't go to the theater so much. I caught most of the MCU in tv for example. And watching it among the cheers and applause by enthusiastic fans created an experience unlike other. Only, enthusiastic 'fans' would come and watch on a raining day because its the first day. But after that time i have changed my tone a bit. Its not among the best for sure. But i find it pretty entertaining.

I imagine something like that happening in BvS. But Black Panther's social media reactions are different. It was the first critics screening yesterday. So, i would say its possible. But i don't think this is the case here. Let critical embargo be lifted and we will see the actual critical reception.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 01-30-2018 at 08:21 PM.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Black Panther writer Christopher Priest has shared his thoughts of Black Panther on his blog.

Quote Originally Posted by nitake92 View Post
    Technically Killmonger being a Black Panther clone is drawing from the Priest era comics since he fought T Challa and won earning the right to BE the Black Panther. Though it might be confusing in the film if they were to go at it both in Black Panther costumes.
    Killmonger has his own suit in the trailer. Even Christopher Priest complained about the superhero trope of fighting the doppelganger in the third act in his review of BP. But still, for the majority of Killmonger's career in the comics, he went mostly suitless (or at least, shirtless a good chunk of the time), being a match for a fully-equipped and costumed T'Challa in his own right.

Kind of like Lady Shiva to Batman -- similar physical stats, but Shiva matches, or even beats him, without all the armor and advantages that a Batsuit brings.
    Last edited by Cyke; 01-31-2018 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Killmonger has his own suit in the trailer. But still, for the majority of Killmonger's career in the comics, he went mostly suitless (or at least, shirtless a good chunk of the time), being a match for a fully-equipped and costumed T'Challa in his own right.

Kind of like Lady Shiva to Batman -- similar physical stats, but Shiva matches, or even beats him, without all the armor and advantages that a Batsuit brings.
    That was the interesting thing about Killmonger. In the comics at least. In a lot of ways he was the underdog against T'Challa, but he often managed to match or even beat him despite that. Usually in comics it's the oother way around.

In the MCU though, the playing field definitely seems more leveled.

As great as it is to see the film itself, Michael B. Jordan and the actresses get praised, does anyone else find it odd that so far seemingly very few reactions mention Chadwick Boseman? I mean he's the lead and I haven't seen many tweets that specifically single him out or comment on his performance at all. Other than generic comments that the whole cast is great not a lot of people seem to be talking about him. MBJ and Letita Wright (Shuri) seem to be getting, by far, the most praise and attention.

Not that I'm worried Chadwick's not going to be good or anything, I'm still excited to see the movie of course just something I noticed.
    Last edited by The True Detective; 01-31-2018 at 02:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    As great as it is to see the film itself, Michael B. Jordan and the actresses get praised, does anyone else find it odd that so far seemingly very few reactions mention Chadwick Boseman? I mean he's the lead and I haven't seen many tweets that specifically single him out or comment on his performance at all. Other than generic comments that the whole cast is great not a lot of people seem to be talking about him. MBJ and Letita Wright (Shuri) seem to be getting, by far, the most praise and attention.

Not that I'm worried Chadwick's not going to be good or anything, I'm still excited to see the movie of course just something I noticed.
    Well fwiw, anytime most people gush about how cool or their favorite parts of Civil War, Cap is rarely the standout. It's either Panther, Holland Spider-Man, maybe Iron Man or like me the Vision. I get that it wasn't his first go round.

I'm just hoping I get some real Boseman in the suit scenes as opposed to a bunch of Pather CGI.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Not surprising. Most Marvel movies get good fanfare for the most part right? I'm interested to see how they adapt some of Priest's run. Haven't read much of Hudlin's so I cannot comment.
    Superhero shows are trash

Yea this movie is like an event for black folks. Even my family members who have zero interest comic book movies are hyped to see this.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    Yea this movie is like an event for black folks. Even my family members who have zero interest comic book movies are hyped to see this.
    totally an event for us black folk

Spectacular Member Martini Sigil's Avatar

I'm totally in the tank for anything Marvel... but this is the origin movie I'm looking forward to most since Captain America... the trailers look amazing...

Quote Originally Posted by Martini Sigil View Post
    I'm totally in the tank for anything Marvel... but this is the origin movie I'm looking forward to most since Captain America... the trailers look amazing...
    Is it really an origin story? I thought they were advancing the story after Civil War?
    Superhero shows are trash

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    It's not just Kendrick Lamar who is a part of the soundtrack, it's his entire label TDE. Essentially the very first TDE collaborative album
    So i was right in my first assumption and no are not going to get any music from African artist?