Page 55 of 77 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bukdiah View Post
    Seriously? Aside from Jackie Chan or Jet Li, who really got any love in Hollywood? Notice the former two do martial arts movies. If you wanna count Indians or Pakistani folk as Asian (I'm Southeast Asian), they are just getting "normal" roles shown by people like Aziz Ansari or Kumail Nanjiani where they are not just 711 workers or taxi drivers.

To deny that a ton of praise given to Black Panther by pointing out that most of it revolves around "all black cast" or "positive representation of Africans" or "finally have someone that looks like me on screen" is bullshit when it's harped on constantly? I don't see how that can be.

"It's harped on constantly"...Please you sound like one of those angry dudes that gets mad when black people are getting praise. Next you're gonna say something like "The best person should get the job not because they're black." Funny how the merit thing only comes up though when it's black people.

If anything people are being overly critical because it's a mostly black cast not the opposite.

Ultimate Member

I'm curious, has there been any mention of why Klaw was wiling to sell the small amount of vibranium?

IIRC, Ultron actually bought the vibranium from Klaw that he later used, paying him billions for the metal (arm was a freebie).

You could handwave it as Klaw just being insane, or needing to stay in the game. Minor nitpick, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    "It's harped on constantly"...Please you sound like one of those angry dudes that gets mad when black people are getting praise. Next you're gonna say something like "The best person should get the job not because they're black." Funny how the merit thing only comes up though when it's black people.

If anything people are being overly critical because it's a mostly black cast not the opposite.
    I like the ad hominem and the random slippery slope BS you blatantly crept in there . Notice how you never refute my claims of people praising Black Panther for the reasons I mentioned. Look at any press junket the cast does and it's more often than not present.
    Superhero shows are trash

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Horrible video.

Did this thread get merged with another thread? I don't remember it being this long.
    Yes it was merged. Earlier it was Black Panther Early Reactions are in. Now its Black Panther Spoilers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    It stuck out because killmonger wasn't actually allowed to do evil. Since he got the crown people were plotting to take him down.
    When on the throne he immediately said he was going to kill all the oppressors and their children. So yes, people were plotting to take him down.

I like the ad hominem and the random slippery slope BS you blatantly crept in there . Notice how you never refute my claims of people praising Black Panther for the reasons I mentioned. Look at any press junket the cast does and it's more often than not present.
    No the film is very good. And also happens to have black leads. Simply a black lead does not help. Or just a woman lead. First the film has to be good by itself. Ghostbusters, Underworld and so on are another examples of female lead films. But they did not get praise as Wonder Woman did. First of all both Wonder Woman and Black Panther are really good movies. After that because they are having diverse casts and in my opinion more importantly diverse voices behind camera it gains more importance.

Diversity is always admirable. But without something being good, diversity can't help at all.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-23-2018 at 07:25 PM.

i think tīchalla bringing his tech to the worldīs table will produce a massive rift in world building.
    60 years of marvel history, FF, x-men, avengers always made contact to advanced tech.
    and yet, average joe never owned a flying car or a hover chair.
    it has always been a given for the marvel universe. no matter how advanced science had become, basic population of earth would always be coherent

ah heck, theyīll prolly ignore this consequence
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Quote Originally Posted by bobellis75 View Post
    If you want to really look at it in simple terms - it is kind of an analog of Malcolm X/MLK (like Magneto/Xavier are).

One is more concerned with his own...the other is looking bigger picture.
    yup, killmonger being an hipster, trashtalking, poor manīs magneto was my first thought
    what always irked me about malcom x, ali, was that they never seemed (to my knowledge) to comphrend, what role islamic slave traders played to the black man. their rage was directed only at the closest devil they knew.
    the united states marine chor had their first stand against muslim slave traders.
    during 19th century, people living on north sea islands, always had to be afraid of being taken into slavery.
    some white man atleast came to the conclusion that slavery is inhuman

point is, there are aholes everywhere. atleast in europe and north america there were actually some people who wanted to improve mankind.
    will it ever get better? i donīt know. today we have different market mechanisms which one might consider slavery or neo-feudalism.
    it is the tradgedy of mankind, that we possess the promethean spark, but yet chose to exploit our fellow human beings
    Last edited by abulafia; 02-23-2018 at 08:03 PM.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

It seems to me that Killmonger just wanted to take his anger over his father death on the world and use the black plight as justification for his action.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Poverty is all around the world, but, and I say this as a non-black person, a lot of oppressive social practices and policies were from white colonial powers inflicted upon black nations, hence the major point about Wakanda never being colonized.

Of course, there are indigenous, Latino, and Asian people suffering in poverty, but global black oppression is the most widespread (where even Latin and Asian countries shame darker skinned brethren and distance themselves from black people in their own countries -- see Brazilian treatment of Afro-Latinos, and skin whitening ads in the Philippines, for example), and therefore the most practiced and refined. So, liberating black people from oppression would mean tools and knowledge to liberate other peoples as well.

And then, of course, T'Challa's answer to that was inspired by both Nakia and Killmonger -- spread Wakandan technology to the entire global community, thereby circumventing that.
    i am not sure if that applies anymore. of course in the past european nations acted opportunistic to the max. shithole countries like portugal and holland (satirical figure inserted) became world players.
    capitalism does not ask for race. it asks for you service.
    if you are willing to exploit your fellow humans for profit, your skin colour wonīt matter.
    but that is a very recent development. among the elite, only money talks. good for them. but us 99% are stuck with our problems
    within a power structure, there will always be people, that wonīt care about "their" people. they just care about power and wealth
    that again is not a white problem, but a human problem
    Last edited by abulafia; 02-23-2018 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    The guy is giving his own opinion. I am completely fine with 'Bathos' for example. Audiences simply lap it up as well as critics. Thor Ragnarok for example was critically acclaimed too. Other films have been enormously successful. Something upon which Black Panther was built upon. Bathos is not bad. It depends upon one's taste.

I think Killmonger was great. But one of the best villains ever? That feels like a stretch. And people will forget its music. Just because Marvel does not use the same music frequently. Repetition is what makes something memorable. Not just the quality. Though its music has a certain flavor. And is better then the average MCU music. I think MCU music is fine.

I agree with him that its a really good film. Very well crafted. And the villain is really great. Almost a hero.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-23-2018 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    His plan was pretty simple imo. Get into Wakanda,Take over wakanda, Arm the War dogs spys all over the world with Wakanda tech so they can lead the opressed in uprsisings all over the world. Iono how that coulda been simplified. It would be way more complicated for Wakanda to just declare war on the world. Killmonger way Wakanda could Seize power all over the world before the world knew Wakanda even existsed.
    I will admitt i dont know why Killmonger didnt kill Klaw in theyee first scene together. I think maybe he didnt have the coordinates yet but i dont remember so i wont speak with any certainity. Ima see it a third time this weekend and hopefuly my shitty memory takes it all in.
    The themes the plot plays with are where all the juicy meats at imo. Though the acting is up there with it
    I like your explanation.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    They are just as good in humor as in drama in my opinion.
    Nope, they're not.....lol But i did like the humor in Homecoming. But Ragnarok, and GOTG2 was just goofy ass trash that was too self aware for their own good. And Dr Strange was no more "serious" then any other Marvel film, and i could give a rat's ass what Ant-Man does. In hindsight The Captain America films, and now Black Panther were the only MCU movies i actually genuinely enjoyed. And to be perfectly honest i don't prefere neither MCU, or the DCEU. I was actually more invested in the X-Films, i also LOVE the Netflix shows though. Either way i was just giving my opinion there's no need for another argument of attrition over these films which none of us make a damn dime over personally lol