Page 66 of 77 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Yea in the comics Tchalla has straight up said he can make a much better ironman suit then Tony but he sees it as a hindrance and crutch. Same way Steve sees Tonya suits. Now Tchalla might be be talking out his ass but I believe him
    Point of fact, T'Challa made the point that he didn't need a suit. As Priest said, strip T'Challa naked (and this was done several times *cough*), and he's still Black Panther

BANNED

a little hometown promo

both Winston Duke and Lupita N'yongo attended Yale Drama

Danai even ran one of her first stage plays out of the Yale Repertory Theater

(I live 10 min from the Yale campus)

I know people liked Killmonger's line about death over bondage, I did as well..but then I thought "Hey, wait! You kill people, you deserve bondage." lol

Actually thinking about it more, he deserved the Zemo treatment just as well.

Ultimate Member

Ya know, it's a minor nitpick, but I'm still confused by Ross' statement that he 'kept it to himself about T'Challa running around in a bullet proof suit'.

During Bucky's takedown, T'Challa was caught at the scene, was later of the effort to stop Cap's team and in his debrief, implicated Black Widow as having enabled Cap and Bucky's escape.

The intelligence services of the world might not know about T'Challa's powers, but you'd think they would at least know there's something odd about him.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Ya know, it's a minor nitpick, but I'm still confused by Ross' statement that he 'kept it to himself about T'Challa running around in a bullet proof suit'.

During Bucky's takedown, T'Challa was caught at the scene, was later of the effort to stop Cap's team and in his debrief, implicated Black Widow as having enabled Cap and Bucky's escape.

The intelligence services of the world might not know about T'Challa's powers, but you'd think they would at least know there's something odd about him.
    Probably, but I could see Ross' having slapped a Ridiculously-Secret label over the whole thing. Not so much because he was doing T'Challa a favor, but because at that time, the US agencies were trying to quiet the whole superhero noise down.

Astonishing Member

BP has to be a shoo in to win Production Design, Costume Design, and Hair and Makeup awards. Given the critical acclaim, I can see a push for Best Picture, Director, and maybe Adapted Screenplay.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    BP has to be a shoo in to win Production Design, Costume Design, and Hair and Makeup awards. Given the critical acclaim, I can see a push for Best Picture, Director, and maybe Adapted Screenplay.
    you could also make a case for Coogler for Best Director

and maybe, just maybe Jordan for Best Supporting

BANNED

It's not going to happen for two reasons.

1. It is not a deserving movie
    2. The Wonder Woman effect.

Black Panther is a decent or good comic film, not the best we have seen. the Oscars are not going to nominate it just because of race regardless of the influence, money and SJWs push out there.

The Wonder Woman effect. WB pushed for wonder woman to get some noms and the more they pushed , the more it irritated oscar voters who chose to shut it out completely. If Disney keeps pushing hard for Black Panther, it may not get any nom even in the technical categories.

Logan got adapted screenplay fairly without any big campaign or political motivation. it got the nom because it was sincerely worthy. Black Panther is not since no one will be talking about oscars if the race of the cast was different just like how no one will be talking of oscars for wonder woman if she was male. everyone , especially the people who loved marvel movies said wonder woman was Captain America 1 and if Captain America 1 is not an oscar worthy movie why should wonder woman be? black panther is thor 1 meets rocky 3 and those are not oscar worthy movies either.

Indeed I like that Wonder Woman and Black Panther seem to have both trapped the extreme aspect of rival fandoms into one hole. they sort off are now cancelling each other out on hypocrisy and credibility.
    Last edited by Sandfall; 03-08-2018 at 10:49 AM.

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sandfall View Post
    It's not going to happen for two reasons.

1. It is not a deserving movie
    2. The Wonder Woman effect.

Black Panther is a decent or good comic film, not the best we have seen. the Oscars are not going to nominate it just because of race regardless of the influence, money and SJWs push out there.

The Wonder Woman effect. WB pushed for wonder woman to get some noms and the more they pushed , the more it irritated oscar voters who chose to shut it out completely. If Disney keeps pushing hard for Black Panther, it may not get any nom even in the technical categories.

Logan got adapted screenplay fairly without any big campaign or political motivation. it got the nom because it was sincerely worthy. Black Panther is not since no one will be talking about oscars if the race of the cast was different just like how no one will be talking of oscars for wonder woman if she was male. everyone , especially the people who loved marvel movies said wonder woman was Captain America 1 and if Captain America 1 is not an oscar worthy movie why should wonder woman be? black panther is thor 1 meets rocky 3 and those are not oscar worthy movies either.

Indeed I like that Wonder Woman and Black Panther seem to have both trapped the extreme aspect of rival fandoms into one hole. they sort off are now cancelling each other out on hypocrisy and credibility.
    Excellent points. Both Wonder Woman and Black Panther are good films,but not Academy Awards worthy. Logan was on another caliber and with better overall package IMO.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Extraordinary Member

Eh Logan didn't surpass the genre BP did. So it will most likely be considered for some awards next time around.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Eh Logan didn't surpass the genre BP did. So it will most likely be considered for some awards next time around.
    logan like The Dark Knigt surpassed the genre. reason it was nominated sincerely. BP did not. it is another marvel movie. if BP did, Wonder Woman did as well.
    Last edited by Sandfall; 03-08-2018 at 12:44 PM.

Astonishing Member

logan like The Dark Knigt surpassed the genre. reason it was nominated sincerely. BP did not. it is another marvel movie. if BP did, Wonder Woman did as well.
    I disagree. The Dark Knight had a chilling innovative performance by Heath Leger as the Joker. Remove him and the movie is not much better than Batman Begins or The Dark Knight Rises.

Black Panther tackles the subjects of the effects of colonialism, the African Diaspora, current attitudes towards Africa, and isolationism versus becoming a global power. Talking about how the movie would be forgotten if you changed the race of the cast is like saying Schindlers List would be forgettable if you removed the Nazis and Jews. It is clearly addressing racial issues while still delivering a blockbuster action movie. I would compare it more to Get Out. Both are genre films released early in the calendar year that include racial issues baked into the story. Get Out was not forgotten, getting 4 nominations in major categories and winning best adapted screenplay.

And I would just like to remind you that Black Panther has exceeded pretty much all expectations for both critical and commercial success. I don't think now is the time to doubt what it can achieve.

Extraordinary Member

But TDK didn't surpass the genre it wasn't really a superhero movie. More a crime thriller with batman added in. It's debatable if Heath would have been nominated at all if he had lived.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    I disagree. The Dark Knight had a chilling innovative performance by Heath Leger as the Joker. Remove him and the movie is not much better than Batman Begins or The Dark Knight Rises.

Black Panther tackles the subjects of the effects of colonialism, the African Diaspora, current attitudes towards Africa, and isolationism versus becoming a global power. Talking about how the movie would be forgotten if you changed the race of the cast is like saying Schindlers List would be forgettable if you removed the Nazis and Jews. It is clearly addressing racial issues while still delivering a blockbuster action movie. I would compare it more to Get Out. Both are genre films released early in the calendar year that include racial issues baked into the story. Get Out was not forgotten, getting 4 nominations in major categories and winning best adapted screenplay.

And I would just like to remind you that Black Panther has exceeded pretty much all expectations for both critical and commercial success. I don't think now is the time to doubt what it can achieve.

Black Panther did not tackle it in full depth. it mentioned it briefly in passing. reason it will not get nominated. its a comic movie with some commentary not the opposite. many comic films have tackled commentary with an extra mile and they were not nominated. there was more magic vibranium fantasy in the movie. Wonder Woman exceeded expectations as well. both critical and commercial success. it was still shut out.
    Last edited by Sandfall; 03-08-2018 at 01:36 PM.