Page 74 of 77 FirstFirst ... 24647071727374757677 LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1144

At least the dollar theaters. Thor: Ragnarok is till in my state's dollar theaters as of the time of this writing (Justice League too actually). I'm positive once Black Panther comes to the dollar theater it will stay there just as long if not longer.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Have to admit I'm a little surprised they decided to effectively end Black Panther's theatrical run after appx 90 days.

Attachment 64771
    Finally got out to see the film this evening.

In a small sized "Multiplex" theater, there were still probably twenty people there at the seven pm showing on a Monday night.

Just saw it today. Two things sprung out at me

1/ Black Panther deciding to share Wakanda tech with the world? Hey what? What was Iron Mans mantra? Don’t give the world high tech because the bad guys get it too. That means North Korea, Russia, the Middle East. Why would the Marvel Cinematic Universe do an about turn on this issue of sharing tech? Let’s look at the MCU. It had Galactus come visit, it has Mutants that walk through walls and listen to your thoughts. It has Infinity stones that open portals to other dimensions that are not pleasant. They have Hydra, and they made SHIELD defunct. All sorts of Octopus mecha Venoms, Hulks, Deadpools, Avengers, FF. It’s really not a very safe place to be in right now. So on one level, evening out the threats out there by giving the normal humans something to protect themselves with probably isn’t that far fetched an idea in that sort of place like the MCU. So there’s that.

2/ Broaching the subject of First world countries as “Colonises” as Shuri termed it, and suicide rather than slavery as the American cousin of Shuri died saying. It reminded me of “Avatar” the movie, where the subject was also broached, and the audience was supposed to cheer for the indigenous blue people over the Earthly colonises. Even the music played as the Wakanda vessel approached Wakanda at the start sounded like the glory song of “Avatar”. It was a curious subject to address. What was the message that discussion was supposed to convey to the audience? That there is an underlying colonialism in the human trait? That there is an arrogance and bigotry of those who see themselves as superior? I liked the final UN address by T’Challa when he took to the podium and suggested he share his countries resources, and from an Americans comments, it struck me everyone thought Wakanda was a purely rural country that could only export farming techniques, and T’Challa smiled.
    Last edited by jackolover; 04-25-2018 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Just saw it today. Two things sprung out at me

1/ Black Panther deciding to share Wakanda tech with the world? Hey what? What was Iron Mans mantra? Don’t give the world high tech because the bad guys get it too. That means North Korea, Russia, the Middle East. Why would the Marvel Cinematic Universe do an about turn on this issue of sharing tech? Let’s look at the MCU. It had Galactus come visit, it has Mutants that walk through walls and listen to your thoughts. It has Infinity stones that open portals to other dimensions that are not pleasant. They have Hydra, and they made SHIELD defunct. All sorts of Octopus mecha Venoms, Hulks, Deadpools, Avengers, FF. It’s really not a very safe place to be in right now. So on one level, evening out the threats out there by giving the normal humans something to protect themselves with probably isn’t that far fetched an idea in that sort of place like the MCU. So there’s that.

2/ Broaching the subject of First world countries as “Colonises” as Shuri termed it, and suicide rather than slavery as the American cousin of Shuri died saying. It reminded me of “Avatar” the movie, where the subject was also broached, and the audience was supposed to cheer for the indigenous blue people over the Earthly colonises. Even the music played as the Wakanda vessel approached Wakanda at the start sounded like the glory song of “Avatar”. It was a curious subject to address. What was the message that discussion was supposed to convey to the audience? That there is an underlying colonialism in the human trait? That there is an arrogance and bigotry of those who see themselves as superior? I liked the final UN address by T’Challa when he took to the podium and suggested he share his countries resources, and from an Americans comments, it struck me everyone thought Wakanda was a purely rural country that could only export farming techniques, and T’Challa smiled.
    1. You do realize that it's not literally giving everything away 100% tech, but about sharing applicable technologies with restrictions and caveats like IRL right? Also that in good storytelling, two characters from two different backgrounds would not 100% share the same morality message, like between T'challa and Tony?

2. Do you mean colonies, or colonizers? Because they both mean very different things, and no, 'first world' countries aren't just the 'colonizers'. My country is a first world nation, and was a colony once, but never colonized others before for example.

Extraordinary Member

Guess they had to make sure BP didn't pass their crown jewel Avengers. I really liked Avengers but damn...interesting article
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...a-tricky-spot/
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 04-26-2018 at 04:21 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Guess they had to make sure BP didn't pass their crown jewel Avengers. I really liked Avengers but damn...interesting article
    It's the kind of problem their competitors wished they had.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It's the kind of problem their competitors wished they had.
    Yes multi-mega franchise problems lol.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Well, Disney doesn't lose here. Not in anyway At All.

BP doesn't lose here, no matter what. It's made a cultural statement that can't be unmade for at least two generations (we Americans don't seem to remember much further back than that at any given time).

Who can "lose" are production teams that don't get to be as fabulous as the BP team. For my part, I couldn't care less about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Byakko View Post
    1. You do realize that it's not literally giving everything away 100% tech, but about sharing applicable technologies with restrictions and caveats like IRL right? Also that in good storytelling, two characters from two different backgrounds would not 100% share the same morality message, like between T'challa and Tony?

2. Do you mean colonies, or colonizers? Because they both mean very different things, and no, 'first world' countries aren't just the 'colonizers'. My country is a first world nation, and was a colony once, but never colonized others before for example.
    1. One would hope. But these things do get out in the wild. I’m pessimistic.

2. I don’t think the Africans distinguish between the good colonialists and the bad ones. They are all the same if they come from the same culture.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Well, Disney doesn't lose here. Not in anyway At All.

BP doesn't lose here, no matter what. It's made a cultural statement that can't be unmade for at least two generations (we Americans don't seem to remember much further back than that at any given time).

Who can "lose" are production teams that don't get to be as fabulous as the BP team. For my part, I couldn't care less about that.
    Still the highest grossing solo superhero movie ever even adjusted for inflation in just under 3 months definite win.

BANNED

I enjoyed this movie a lot, and I'm not generally given to conspiracy theories, but a best picture nomination is why I only pay attention to the Golden Globes and not the Oscars. This seems incredibly fishy.

I think many of the other nominations were earned though.

I enjoyed this movie a lot, and I'm not generally given to conspiracy theories, but a best picture nomination is why I only pay attention to the Golden Globes and not the Oscars. This seems incredibly fishy.

But it was also nominated for a Golden Globe...

I'm wondering what "conspiracy" you think there can possibly be behind an arbitrary award. Also how does one exactly "earn" said arbitrary award?
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    I'm wondering what "conspiracy" you think there can possibly be behind an arbitrary award. Also how does one exactly "earn" said arbitrary award?
    To be fair, The Oscars routinely gets called out for not having enough Black nominations then it....suddenly does. You can see how people see a conspiracy, ignoring that the entirety of the Oscars is a conspiracy in some form or another.

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    I've seen the conspiracy mentioned in the other thread -- about how Disney bought the nomination -- but I don't lend it any credence.

With that said, I'm happy it was nominated, but it's the long shot. It has no other nominations aside from technical and soundtrack awards, and that's a sign -- no nominations for director, writing, acting, etc.