Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I was hoping she would be the celebrity guest for the tournament.
    I wasn't expecting CU, but she was a pleasant surprise.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I mean, according to Chozen in the previous season, there is an offensive approach to Miyagi-Do. It just seems as if Mr. Miyagi didn't think teaching that to Daniel was necessary for whatever reason.
    They were pretty clear why Miyagi didn't teach Daniel the offensive side of Miyagi karate. Namely, that it was designed to kill.

* Glad to see the school isn't repeating the mistakes of previous seasons byspoilers:
    not punishing Kenny alongside his bullies or engaging in victim blaming.
    end of spoilers

* Did Daniel and Johnny not discuss how they would approach teaching their students before joining their dojos? The issues they have throughout this season feels like stuff they should have hashed out before this endeavor.

* spoilers:
    I wonder if Silver being on drugs during Karate Kid Part 3 was a fan theory before this show.
    end of spoilers

* How has Johnny survived this long while being so out of touch with the rest of the world?

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

One thing I need to say is how amazing Terry Silver's Performance was by Thomas Ian Griffith.

It was so good he should teach a Master's Class on how to portray a villain.

His performance was so toxic I wonder if the apology he first gave to Daniel was genuine? Maybe I'm naive but I almost think it was. And if Daniel accepted that apology, would kept Silver in check and prevented him from falling in that dark hole? I personally don't think it would have but I honestly don't know.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    They were pretty clear why Miyagi didn't teach Daniel the offensive side of Miyagi karate. Namely, that it was designed to kill.
    That's kind of what I figured, but it's been awhile since I've watched any of that season.

* Did Daniel and Johnny not discuss how they would approach teaching their students before joining their dojos? The issues they have throughout this season feels like stuff they should have hashed out before this endeavor.
    That's assuming that Johnny's interested in having that conversation. I like the character, but thinking ahead isn't something he really does. I figured Daniel just rolled his eyes and hoped for the best.

* How has Johnny survived this long while being so out of touch with the rest of the world?
    I'm a librarian and one of my job duties is helping people out at the public computers. There are people younger than Johnny that don't even have an email address.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 01-03-2022 at 02:03 PM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Where is Johnny's income coming from? Kreese took Cobra Kai from him, he has no day job like Daniel, he started Eagle Fang in a park and is using an abandoned warehouse as a dojo. How is this man paying his rent?

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    One thing I need to say is how amazing Terry Silver's Performance was by Thomas Ian Griffith.

It was so good he should teach a Master's Class on how to portray a villain.

His performance was so toxic I wonder if the apology he first gave to Daniel was genuine? Maybe I'm naive but I almost think it was. And if Daniel accepted that apology, would kept Silver in check and prevented him from falling in that dark hole? I personally don't think it would have but I honestly don't know.
    TIG said in an interview that if Daniel had accepted his apology that Silver would have walked away.

There's a lot of bad guys on Cobra Kai, Terry Silver being one of them. But also John Kreese and Johnny Lawrence. Who is the baddest guy on Cobra Kai?

Wait a second. What do you mean bad guy? He's misunderstood. I think they all have a past that labels them into that bad guy category. Now, who will go to the biggest extremes? I think Terry has the most to lose, so I think that makes him pretty dangerous. And also, obviously, I always say, if Daniel had just forgiven him that first time they met, he probably would've let it go.

Terry really wants just that friendship and love in his life, like we all do, but when he doesn't get that, then that sort of propels down this kind of a bad path.

https://www.menshealth.com/entertain...n-4-interview/
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Extraordinary Member

Where is Johnny's income coming from? Kreese took Cobra Kai from him, he has no day job like Daniel, he started Eagle Fang in a park and is using an abandoned warehouse as a dojo. How is this man paying his rent?
    I think we're supposed to ignore that the same way that no one got seriously injured at the Larusso's house at the end of the last season and how the kids were pulling off moves no one with only a year's training would be able to execute.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Mighty Member

I binged the entire series so far over this past weekend, and I cannot tell a lie...all of these kids are gang bangers. There were plenty of brawls where I wondered where are the adults?

I did really like Hawk though, even though he was a caricature of a bully after getting his mohawk, which was kind of goofy (which was fun). I will say that I felt for him about a parent putting a target on your back despite meaning well (it happened to me decades ago) .

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Wait a second. What do you mean bad guy? He's misunderstood. I think they all have a past that labels them into that bad guy category. Now, who will go to the biggest extremes? I think Terry has the most to lose, so I think that makes him pretty dangerous. And also, obviously, I always say, if Daniel had just forgiven him that first time they met, he probably would've let it go.

Terry really wants just that friendship and love in his life, like we all do, but when he doesn't get that, then that sort of propels down this kind of a bad path.[/I]
    I don't know. When a grown ass billionaire chooses to torment you when you're 17, even decades later, I can't necessarily blame Daniel for not. Sure he had changed, but Daniel didn't know that and the fact that he was aligned with Kreese at all...well...if the rejection of your apology is all it takes for you to give in to your worst instincts, have you really changed at all?

The interesting thing about Cobra Kai relative to the original movies is they have made Kreese and Silver more 3 dimensional. These are guys that certainly do bad things but with Kreese it traces back to Vietnam and what he had to do to survive but even Kreese has limits. He stops Silver from beating the crap out of Johnny and he actually has looked out for Tory the whole time and basically guilted Amanda into helping her. He also has changed in some ways as he steers Tory away from the path he put Johnny on in the her final match when Silver wanted her to go after Sam.

Likewise, Silver has been doing a good job suppressing his darker side until his weakness (Kreese) comes along and draws him back in. He starts off as embarrassed and remorseful wanting Daniel to forgive him but turns resentful when rejected and then falls back into his dark spiral due to Kreese but even Kreese is horrified at times at how dark Silver can get.

Even the supposed good guys have flaws as Daniel is set in his ways and a lot of his troubles are due to his not being able to get past his issues with Johnny and Silver. Sam and Tory's beef stems in large part from Sam like her father being unable to initially see that Tory is wholly evil but made some bad choices in bad circumstances.

For a show that gives the impression of being a kids so, they do a pretty good job of depicting the duality of human nature.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

He still charges the students for lessons as far as I can tell. It just never got brought up after first being mentioned.
    Last edited by remydat; 01-03-2022 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I don't know. When a grown ass billionaire chooses to torment you when you're 17, even decades later, I can't necessarily blame Daniel for not. Sure he had changed, but Daniel didn't know that and the fact that he was aligned with Kreese at all...well...if the rejection of your apology is all it takes for you to give in to your worst instincts, have you really changed at all?
    I am not saying I blame Daniel but it wasn't just the lack of an apology. The lack of the apology is what got him to stay with Kreese but it is Kreese that brings out his worst instincts. Even when he first started training them, Silver was trying to keep them from fighting before the tournament and trying to teach them to have some level of discipline and honor. It was only after Kreese guilted him about his being a coward and Kreese having to save him that Silver in order to become the friend Kreese wanted turned down a darker path. The irony being that Silver then goes beyond what even Kreese is willing to tolerate but Kreese finds out too late as Silver decides he has to get rid of his weakness if he wants to get out from Kreese's shadow.

Kreese is basically like a slow acting poison relative to Silver's character. Some people bring out the best in each other while Kreese brings out the worst in Silver. The weird then being, it is then seeing the worst in Silver that then tempers Kreese's worse nature as he recoils at how brutal Silver acted towards Johnny as well as his attempts to poison Kenny and Tory.
    Last edited by remydat; 01-03-2022 at 05:04 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Even the supposed good guys have flaws as Daniel is set in his ways and a lot of his troubles are due to his not being able to get past his issues with Johnny and Silver.
    Daniel and Johnny are incredibly similar in that both can be incredibly narrow-minded and neither are necessarily great at evolving as people. It's just that Daniel had the benefit of being mentored by an already incredibly evolved father figure. It's kind of like that whole Caveman vs. Dinosaur thing.

For a show that gives the impression of being a kids so, they do a pretty good job of depicting the duality of human nature.
    The kids I generally have an easier time giving a pass on because...well...they're kids. Kids generally have a significantly better chance of changing for the better than grown adults do (although I'm not necessarily saying they can't mind you. While still being Johnny, he's come a long way from bemoaning "immigrants" when he first met Miguel.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 01-03-2022 at 05:12 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I am not saying I blame Daniel but it wasn't just the lack of an apology. The lack of the apology is what got him to stay with Kreese but it is Kreese that brings out his worst instincts. Even when he first started training them, Silver was trying to keep them from fighting before the tournament and trying to teach them to have some level of discipline and honor. It was only after Kreese guilted him about his being a coward and Kreese having to save him that Silver in order to become the friend Kreese wanted turned down a darker path. The irony being that Silver then goes beyond what even Kreese is willing to tolerate but Kreese finds out too late as Silver decides he has to get rid of his weakness if he wants to get out from Kreese's shadow.

Kreese is basically like a slow acting poison relative to Silver's character. Some people bring out the best in each other while Kreese brings out the worst in Silver. The weird then being, it is then seeing the worst in Silver that then tempers Kreese's worse nature as he recoils at how brutal Silver acted towards Johnny as well as his attempts to poison Kenny and Tory.
    This is a good point.