Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Was easily one of the only shows in a long time I just sat down and watched fully focused. Most the time I’ll be doing other things while shows play in the background, so it was great to have something capture my interests again.
    Straight Shot Mob

BANNED

its a better show than it ought to be

this is what happens when you have producers who are fans of the material they are working with

Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Sean Kanan is being teased for Season 2. I'm cool with Mike Barnes coming back.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Sean Kanan is being teased for Season 2. I'm cool with Mike Barnes coming back.
    its a really good potential conflict for Johnny

if anyone remembers in the third film, Terry Silver was going to relaunch Cobra Kai as a franchise and Barnes wanted half ownership

Barnes and Johnny will probably fight over who rightfully owns the Cobra Kai name

Mighty Member

Season 2 confirmed!!
    Great news! I just finished the first season. It was awesome! I really liked how they melded the personal lives of both Johnny and Daniel into this, showing the audience just how alike the two of them really are. Both Johnny and Daniel showed true teacher potential in taking Miguel and Robbie around their wings.

I think my favorite scene was spoilers:
    Daniel looking at Robby, pissed off that Daniel was making him his personal slave to do all his menial chores, and saying to himself, "God, I love this part!" before he goes all Miyagi on Robbie that evening.
    end of spoilers

Or maybe it's spoilers:
    Aisha punching Hawk in the face and proclaiming, "He's okay!" while Hawk responds, "I'm okay! It's only a tooth."
    end of spoilers

Or maybe it's spoilers:
    Miguel kicking Kyler's sorry ass in the cafeteria.
    end of spoilers

Wait, it could be spoilers:
    when Eli comes back into the Cobra Kai dojo with his new haircut and tells Johnny "I flipped the script!", and then Johnny gives him the Hawk nickname and tells him to fall into line.
    end of spoilers

Or when spoilers:
    Johnny gives Miguel special one on one training, telling Miguel that he's the only chance he has to win the tournament. Miguel, pleased at the praise, says, "So you mean, I'm your best student!" to which Johnny replies, "Don't flatter yourself! You've seen the others!"
    end of spoilers

Or when spoilers:
    Johnny and Daniel get plastered, almost become best friends, and do a Rocky 3 ending sparring match before Robbie accidently ruins the bonding that was happening.
    end of spoilers

Okay, too many great moments. This was well done sequel to the movies. I can't wait for season 2!

Just finished the show. Fantastic.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Mighty Member

I also loved how the series acknowledge the plain truth that the best music to listen to while learning to kick ass is 80's hair metal.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post

if anyone remembers in the third film, Terry Silver was going to relaunch Cobra Kai as a franchise and Barnes wanted half ownership

Barnes and Johnny will probably fight over who rightfully owns the Cobra Kai name
    It will be interesting how Barnes will figure into things. He was a hired gun in the third film. I will feel bad for him if he's still that 35 years later.

New season dropped two weeks ago and it seems to have slipped under the radar. I just binged it and it's amazing

spoilers:
    I feel bad for Miguel. I hope that accident didn't leave him crippled. Ali has a legit reason to come back if that cliffhanger is any indication
    end of spoilers

New season dropped two weeks ago and it seems to have slipped under the radar. I just binged it and it's amazing

spoilers:
    I feel bad for Miguel. I hope that accident didn't leave him crippled. Ali has a legit reason to come back if that cliffhanger is any indication
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah, what happened to Miguel definately was heart wrenching. But it almost had to be him, since he's one of the few characters who can effect pretty much everyone across the board emotionally.

I'm actually sort of surprised things went down that extreme. This wasn't just a fight as school, this potentially could be a whole legal thing with the cops and the courts and I woudn't think the show would wanna go there.
    end of spoilers[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post

Honestly I was a little surprised Johnny could even open Cobra Kai without Kreese, Silver, or Barnes. I assumed someone by that point owned the name. Guess not.

Or maybe that's a fight they're saving for down the road, after Johnny deals with his current predicament. No reason to thow every villain into the mix at once. Show seems sucessful enough that they can sort of spread them out.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    spoilers:
    Yeah, what happened to Miguel definately was heart wrenching. But it almost had to be him, since he's one of the few characters who can effect pretty much everyone across the board emotionally.

I'm actually sort of surprised things went down that extreme. This wasn't just a fight as school, this potentially could be a whole legal thing with the cops and the courts and I woudn't think the show would wanna go there.
    end of spoilers
    [/QUOTE]

spoilers:
    it didn't surprise me to see things go down the road it did. The two dojos became gangs and everyone going to the same school it was bound to happen. Everyone involved is partially at fault.

The brawl highlights how terrible Daniel is as a mentor and how he failed to take any of miyagi lessons to heart. Miyagi do teaches defense and protection but never taught his students how to deescalate a violent situation. Sam and Robbie used the mantra to provoke people into fighting them which warped the teachings and Daniel never reprimanded them for it.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    it didn't surprise me to see things go down the road it did. The two dojos became gangs and everyone going to the same school it was bound to happen. Everyone involved is partially at fault.

The brawl highlights how terrible Daniel is as a mentor and how he failed to take any of miyagi lessons to heart. Miyagi do teaches defense and protection but never taught his students how to deescalate a violent situation. Sam and Robbie used the mantra to provoke people into fighting them which warped the teachings and Daniel never reprimanded them for it.
    end of spoilers[/QUOTE]

spoilers:
    Honestly I'm not sure Daniel under Mr. Miyagi's teaching did a whole lot better a job at descalating violent situations than Sam and Robby though. But yeah.... Daniel and his teaching didn't end up being a whole lot better than Cobra Kais in this regard. It's fair to say in pretty much all the situations the Cobras started things, but only by a hair.

But honestly I'm assuming all this is by design. I'm assuming that even Daniels side approach is supposed to be flawed to the point that some sort of middle ground between Johnny and Daniel approach will end up getting the desired result. Not that I think that entirely makes sense, but I think that's what they are ultimately going for.

end of spoilers

Spectacular Member

Does Ralph Machio actually do real karate in this show? I have not seen it yet.