Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Yeah, that's definitely the gag here as it is with most of these cartoons. Sadly, that's flying over the heads of most here.
    Yeah, the videos mostly a hyperbolic parody of fan expectations and complaints. The only part that I feel is generally acidic and critical is the treatment of Holdo and the briefing lines, though that might be confirmation bias since I think that the space chase and its elements are the part that is objectively badly plotted. Ackbar's replacing of her was just hilarious meme usage; notice how it didn't address the critical complaint some of us have about the hyperspace charge not being set up or its lack of previous usage explained, the gag is strictly about how lolz-worthy an ascended meme hijacking a dramatic moment of the film would be.

Kind of like how their Luke playing baseball with lasers moment is clearly meant to be an exagerration of what fanboys want, so highlight how OP they view Luke.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

It's astounding that people watched that and think it was better than the movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    It's astounding that people watched that and think it was better than the movie.
    It's astounding that people watched that.

Eh, I've enjoyed some of them. They're usually just trying to be funny, and I like funny nonsense. This one, though, with how seriously upset some people are over this movie, it's... different?

I mean, I've seen people on here talk about the movie as if they sat down with Johnson in a face to face conversation where he told them in exact words that he only made the movie to **** on them and their love of Star Wars, so.

I have to admit I loved the part where Ackbar's first action is to....tell everyone that there is a plan, so nobody panic and mutiny or anything.

That to me is the worst plot hole of the film - they know morale is bad enough that guards have been posted on the escape pods, but still don't mention the plan for survival?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I have to admit I loved the part where Ackbar's first action is to....tell everyone that there is a plan, so nobody panic and mutiny or anything.

That to me is the worst plot hole of the film - they know morale is bad enough that guards have been posted on the escape pods, but still don't mention the plan for survival?
    I don't remember Rose being an actual guard who was posted there.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I don't remember Rose being an actual guard who was posted there.
    It seemed implied to me when she said she had stopped several other people.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It seemed implied to me when she said she had stopped several other people.
    But she's a tech. I think she even said she was doing it on her own.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    But she's a tech. I think she even said she was doing it on her own.
    Even so, she was taking Finn to the brig and he wasn't the first. Either she has implied permission or she would be in the brig herself for assaulting multiple crew members.

I will have to wait for the blu-ray. And then i can post correctly. I seem to remember that she was doing it on her own. But i can't say for sure that she said something like that.

But what benefit would be there if Holdo said that there is a plan unless she describes the plan itself? Just saying that there is a plan is vague. Can it help? I had the impression that the people at the bridge and the higher ups knew the details. People mostly complain about not telling Poe. A leader can choose the time to reveal the plan. They had 18 hours. They can take some time. It might be useful to keep it within fewer people. That might be helpful against any kind of leaking of plan to the enemy.

Overall it was a mistake. But its not an egregious one. How many people revolted anyway? Poe and a couple of pilots under him. It was not a full scale mutiny. Rather revealing the plan made Poe rise up against Holdo.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Canto Bight is destined to become the most hated location in all of Star Wars People who who were "meh" on the movie have nothing positive to say about it. People who disliked the movie dislike it. People who liked the movie dislike it. Hopefully when the Empire creates another planet destroying weapon they test it out on Canto Bight. This planet needs to be destroyed along with all the silly time wasting nonsense that occurs there. It will be the first step in healing the fractured fanbase.
    I disagree. I liked the Canto Bight scenes. It showed a different side of the galaxy. Its an interesting location as a place for the rich who exploit war. Racehorses and slaves are all exploited to serve the rich. Both men and nature. And it showed heroes who can come up from anywhere just as Rey has. That last shot of the boy looking up at the sky while imitating Luke is pure Star Wars.

I don't subscribe to the notion that something is bad just because heroes fail in their mission. I am not fighting the war. I am simply watching a film. Those scenes give an insight into the wider world and characters like Rose: the new heroes who have come up from this kind of life. It shows character development. Poe was running away at first. He was sympathetic for the rebellion but was not a rebel. A short time with Rose and that planet made him a rebel. Phasma calls him 'scum'. He replies 'rebel scum'. Now that's character development. Moving the plot while developing the character. Its amazing how many elements he is working with. Not only he had to further the plot but develop so many characters and tell new things about Star Wars while making a big budget franchise film which would appeal to everybody. Its amazing.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-18-2018 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    I don't subscribe to the notion that something is bad just because heroes fail in their mission
    People don't think Canto Bight is bad because the heroes failed, they hate it because it's boring and it grinds the movie to a halt. Canto Bight is universally recognized as the part of the movie where you go to get more refreshments or use the bathroom or check your text messages.

I didn't like Canto Bight in TLJ for the same reason I didn't like Dex's Diner in AotC. They felt like they were in the "uncanny valley" of the Star Wars universe, too similar to real world locations/culture/behavior, etc... I mean, there's plenty of stuff in the Star Wars films that can fit that description, but they don't turn me off like those two do. That said, Canto Bight was the lesser offender of the two.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

People don't think Canto Bight is bad because the heroes failed, they hate it because it's boring and it grinds the movie to a halt. Canto Bight is universally recognized as the part of the movie where you go to get more refreshments or use the bathroom or check your text messages.
    Most complaints i came across was regarding the failure of the mission of Rose and Poe. And how their actions actually created more problems. I thought you meant that too. Still there's a difference between hatred and boring. Hatred is something like Jar Jar. See the videos of HISHE for the prequels for example. That's universal hatred. No one is going to defend something like Jar Jar or 'i like sand' and that romance in AoTC.

Fans are too excited. It maybe a weaker part for the film. But hatred for it is like there's only two responses of Star Wars fans. Fierce love or passionate hatred. Of course for me personally i liked it. I was not bored.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Another small critique?

So Rose risks life, limb, and the failure of her mission in order to "save" a bunch of animals (who were very likely recaptured in short order) and yet........she doesn't even TRY to rescue the child slaves? Temporarily freeing a bunch of animals gets a higher priority than saving thinking, feeling, sentient CHILDREN?
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Another small critique?

So Rose risks life, limb, and the failure of her mission in order to "save" a bunch of animals (who were very likely recaptured in short order) and yet........she doesn't even TRY to rescue the child slaves? Temporarily freeing a bunch of animals gets a higher priority than saving thinking, feeling, sentient CHILDREN?
    That's because Rose freed those animals to escape. It was to serve the mission: finding the code breaker and escaping. Saving the children would mean going back and take time off from the mission. They were short of time. They had to reach the First Order's ship and disable that tracking machine before the rebellion's ship ran out of fuel.

She would happily go back and save the children. Look how happy she was when removing that saddle from the back of the Fathier. She has also come from this kind of background. Of course if she could go back to rescue them she would risk everything. But time was short. And the lives of the rebels was in danger.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-19-2018 at 05:32 AM.