Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    There was absolutely no need to pander to fan theories about Snoke and especially about Rey's parentage.
    Yes and No if they as in Disney/Lucasfilm never made a mystery about it there wouldn't be this disappointment I mean if Rey was just a orphan like Finn fine no need too. But in Force Awakens they made a big point to who her parents were and why did they leave her so they created this big mystery and fans deserved pay off.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Overall it was a mistake. But its not an egregious one. How many people revolted anyway? Poe and a couple of pilots under him. It was not a full scale mutiny. Rather revealing the plan made Poe rise up against Holdo.
    I don't think a mutiny works if only a small handful of pilots feel that way. Wouldn't the rest of the crew just confiscate Poe and friends weapons and toss them in the brig? either the general consensus was Holdo was making some mistake and new leadership was needed or the Resistance only has like 3 blasters aboard the ship and Poe took them all.

I disagree. I liked the Canto Bight scenes. It showed a different side of the galaxy. Its an interesting location as a place for the rich who exploit war.
    The Senate scenes in the prequels also showed a different side of the galaxy, didn't make them any less boring.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    I don't think a mutiny works if only a small handful of pilots feel that way. Wouldn't the rest of the crew just confiscate Poe and friends weapons and toss them in the brig? either the general consensus was Holdo was making some mistake and new leadership was needed or the Resistance only has like 3 blasters aboard the ship and Poe took them all.
    They took control of the bridge for a really short time. I had the impression that most of the people had no idea that it was taking place.

The Senate scenes in the prequels also showed a different side of the galaxy, didn't make them any less boring.
    But what was the subtext? And what was their contribution to developing characters? Canto Bight is more then just a location. A number of people were saying it looks similar to places on Earth. I have already mentioned the subtext about the rich and the powerful exploiting the poor and the weak. And its use in showing that heroes in Star Wars can come from anywhere. It also helped develop Poe's character while shining a light on Rose's.

Of course one may find it boring. Mileage varies from person to person. For me it was good while other sections were very good or great. But it was far from boring in my experience.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Yes and No if they as in Disney/Lucasfilm never made a mystery about it there wouldn't be this disappointment I mean if Rey was just a orphan like Finn fine no need too. But in Force Awakens they made a big point to who her parents were and why did they leave her so they created this big mystery and fans deserved pay off.
    So a fan theory which has Obi Wan father a child and abandon her on a similar but different planet to the one he went into exile on before A New Hope and makes Rey in her mid-30s at the youngest is 'How it should have ended?' This was pandering and stupid, and it would have made the movie worse if it happened that way for real. With Snoke at least the movie didn't provide an answer. What they did with Rey was fine and worked better than any of the other options that have been suggested.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

So a fan theory which has Obi Wan father a child and abandon her on a similar but different planet to the one he went into exile on before A New Hope and makes Rey in her mid-30s at the youngest is 'How it should have ended?' This was pandering and stupid, and it would have made the movie worse if it happened that way for real. With Snoke at least the movie didn't provide an answer. What they did with Rey was fine and worked better than any of the other options that have been suggested.
    Did you actually watch the video? The video establishes Rey as Obi-Wan's GRANDDAUGHTER. Not his daughter whom he abandoned.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Did you actually watch the video? The video establishes Rey as Obi-Wan's GRANDDAUGHTER. Not his daughter whom he abandoned.
    Yes. By this point I was misremembering the exact details of a a video I watched 6 days ago. It's still a dumb pandering move and there's no point to it. We do not need an explanation about Obi Wan having an illegitimate child we've never heard of or will ever see and how that child went and abandoned his or her own child. The 'mystery' was about her parents, and the HISHE 'improvement' still doesn't help in that regard.

Yes. By this point I was misremembering the exact details of a a video I watched 6 days ago. It's still a dumb pandering move and there's no point to it. We do not need an explanation about Obi Wan having an illegitimate child we've never heard of or will ever see and how that child went and abandoned his or her own child. The 'mystery' was about her parents, and the HISHE 'improvement' still doesn't help in that regard.
    Episode 7 made a big deal about Rey's possible parentage. Then they backpedaled and said she was nobody. That's deeply unsatisfying to many, so this would've resolved that.

And very little explanation would be needed about Obi-Wan's kid. In the Clone Wars show, he had an obvious romantic attraction to Duchess Satine of Mandalore. Just say they had a fling and poof! Baby! Moving on!
    Last edited by Vanguard-01; 02-26-2018 at 08:58 AM.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Episode 7 made a big deal about Rey's possible parentage. Then they backpedaled and said she was nobody. That's deeply unsatisfying to many, so this would've resolved that.

And very little explanation would be needed about Obi-Wan's kid. In the Clone Wars show, he had an obvious romantic attraction to Duchess Satine of Mandalore. Just say they had a flung and poof! Baby! Moving on!
    Yes!!!! I agree that's all that was needed.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl_70 View Post
    Yes!!!! I agree that's all that was needed.
    Yep. You can even save face for Obi-Wan by revealing that Satine never told him about their child because she knew the Jedi wouldn't allow him to be a part of her life.

No "deadbeat dad" accusations here.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member

I disagree strongly. The movie and the franchise has no need and had no need to continue as the 'Kenobi-Skywalker' show. It's a side-issue to her parentage, which is what all her angst was about in episodes 7 and 8. It does nothing for her character or for the films other than to needlessly complicate things and tie everything back to the same 2 people over and over again. Is she Mandalorian now too? Is she going to train with Bobba Fett like Jaina Solo did in the awful Legacy of the Force?

They took control of the bridge for a really short time. I had the impression that most of the people had no idea that it was taking place.
    Leia was in coma and she knew immediately upon waking what was up. So either it was obvious to those onboard or lazy writing.(And don't give me that "Oh she must of used the Force" line, unless it's actually shown on film it's just conjecture.)

But what was the subtext? And what was their contribution to developing characters? Canto Bight is more then just a location. A number of people were saying it looks similar to places on Earth. I have already mentioned the subtext about the rich and the powerful exploiting the poor and the weak. And its use in showing that heroes in Star Wars can come from anywhere. It also helped develop Poe's character while shining a light on Rose's.
    If the characters straight up make statements about the rich exploiting the poor is it really SUBtext? They were pretty on the nose with just telling us "why this is bad." The Prequel Senate stuff was commentary on the Bush-era administration. It also informed us about Anakin's character and his particular viewpoints on how he felt government should work as well as Padme's counterpoint. So there was contribution to each character's development. Didn't make it any less boring (Plus Lucas isn't exactly the greatest writer, so it was pretty awkward.)

I will say Poe developed nicely, and out of the new trilogy characters he easily became the most interesting (imo), but then he also the only one that was allowed to make major mistakes due to character flaws, whereas the other new heroes only made mistakes because they are too kind or trusting, etc.
    Last edited by Vegeta; 02-26-2018 at 09:57 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Leia was in coma and she knew immediately upon waking what was up. Woo either it was to be obvious or lazy writing.(And don't give me that "Oh she must of used the Force" line, unless it's actually shown on film it's just conjecture.)

If the characters straight up make statements about the rich exploiting the poor is it really SUBtext? They were pretty on the nose with just telling us "why this is bad." The Prequel Senate stuff was commentary on the Bush-era administration. It also informed us about Anakin's character and his particular viewpoints on how he felt government should work as well as Padme's counterpoint. So there was contribution to each character's development. Didn't make it any less boring (Plus Lucas isn't exactly the greatest writer, so it was pretty awkward.)I

I will say Poe developed nicely, and our of the new trilogy characters he easily became the most interesting (imo), but then he also the only one that was allowed to make major mistakes due to character flaws, whereas the other new heroes only made mistakes because they are too kind or trusting, etc.
    Well, the episode 1 Senate stuff couldn't have been about Bush since it came out in 1999, nearly 2 years before the Bush administration. And even episode 2 came out only 1 year into the administration and before the invasion of Iraq. Really, only episode 3 could have been about Bush unless Lucas was making a commentary on a president before he was even elected.

Well, the episode 1 Senate stuff couldn't have been about Bush since it came out in 1999, nearly 2 years before the Bush administration. And even episode 2 came out only 1 year into the administration and before the invasion of Iraq. Really, only episode 3 could have been about Bush unless Lucas was making a commentary on a president before he was even elected.
    Hence why I said "prequel" and not " Episode One." And if you think people didn't have problems with Dubya right out of the gate, then you weren't really paying attention.

But what was the subtext? And what was their contribution to developing characters? Canto Bight is more then just a location. A number of people were saying it looks similar to places on Earth. I have already mentioned the subtext about the rich and the powerful exploiting the poor and the weak.
    TLA fails to add much to the information about what happened in the time between ROTJ and TFA. How does the Empire return as the First Order? How is Snoke involved?

Canto Bight doesn't help add anything to this since the New Republic was only taken out by the First Order at the very end of TFA. Paige and her sister likely are from a Republic run world. The First Order isn't responsible for their problems. The First Order doesn't run Canto Bight - the Republic did. So all those arms shipments - those were the fault of Republic leaders like Leia, Holdo and Mon Mothma.

Rian needed to have set his politician commentary in a different time since it doesn't work in TLJ. The First Order isn't running these worlds - it's a foreign invader who's been off building strength for an invasion and just blew up the legitimate government. All Rian did was set-up how corrupt and incompetent the New Republic was and how they allowed arms dealing and slavery to happen.

Makes you really want to read about all of Leia and Luke's adventures battling the evil New Republic in the years between ROTJ and TFA doesn't it? That's fine if you want to add in real world commentary, but this is suppose to be escapism fantasy. Mon Mothma as the leaders who allows slavery and arms shipments isn't what I want in Star Wars.

I don't think Rian ever thought for 5 minutes about what happened between ROTJ and TFA. He was too busy figuring out other themes with the assumption the First Order = The Empire = The Bad Guys and treating the story as if the rebels never won in ROTJ.
    Last edited by ClanAskani; 02-26-2018 at 11:28 AM.

Leia was in coma and she knew immediately upon waking what was up. So either it was obvious to those onboard or lazy writing.(And don't give me that "Oh she must of used the Force" line, unless it's actually shown on film it's just conjecture.)
    You make a valid point. At most i can say that he took control of the bridge by himself. But lot of people did not join him. That wasn't shown either. What was really shown was him and a couple of pilots or people most probably from his own crew. There could be one of the two things here.

i) Either, after taking control of the bridge and shutting that door most people knew about that. Such a news could have spread after Poe taking control. And Leia came in to diffuse the situation. Again its not known that how many joined him except a couple of rebels.

ii) Or, Leia was informed by the few who knew about the mutiny (the mutiny was done in a hangar. So at least some people knew about that, other then people at the Bridge and Holdo). And Leia stepped in to diffuse the situation.

Granted its bit of a stretch that Leia regained consciousness as soon as she was needed in the story. But it can't be called bad writing. Not showing that is a creative choice. Trying to surprise audiences by witholding information from them is a standard way in films.

If the characters straight up make statements about the rich exploiting the poor is it really SUBtext? They were pretty on the nose with just telling us "why this is bad." The Prequel Senate stuff was commentary on the Bush-era administration. It also informed us about Anakin's character and his particular viewpoints on how he felt government should work as well as Padme's counterpoint. So there was contribution to each character's development. Didn't make it any less boring (Plus Lucas isn't exactly the greatest writer, so it was pretty awkward.)

I will say Poe developed nicely, and out of the new trilogy characters he easily became the most interesting (imo), but then he also the only one that was allowed to make major mistakes due to character flaws, whereas the other new heroes only made mistakes because they are too kind or trusting, etc.
    I did not know about Bush era politics and the connection to prequels. I might have appreciated more due to that if i had known that. And Anakin's character was so boring till ROTS that i could scarcely notice.

Again i said my reasons why i think its not pointless or boring. You have so many characters and subplots to juggle in between them. Develop them while developing the plot. For some it would work. For others it won't. For me it worked.

But truly speaking it is not just about subtext. The place in story. The scenes itself shall be interesting to watch. My experience was different. I liked it. I liked the other sections more. So, i have already admitted that they aren't as interesting as other parts of the film. But too far, simply too far from the drudgery that i experienced with the likes of Attack of The Clones.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-26-2018 at 11:17 PM.