Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    TLA fails to add much to the information about what happened in the time between ROTJ and TFA. How does the Empire return as the First Order? How is Snoke involved?

Canto Bight doesn't help add anything to this since the New Republic was only taken out by the First Order at the very end of TFA. Paige and her sister likely are from a Republic run world. The First Order isn't responsible for their problems. The First Order doesn't run Canto Bight - the Republic did. So all those arms shipments - those were the fault of Republic leaders like Leia, Holdo and Mon Mothma.

Rian needed to have set his politician commentary in a different time since it doesn't work in TLJ. The First Order isn't running these worlds - it's a foreign invader who's been off building strength for an invasion and just blew up the legitimate government. All Rian did was set-up how corrupt and incompetent the New Republic was and how they allowed arms dealing and slavery to happen.

Makes you really want to read about all of Leia and Luke's adventures battling the evil New Republic in the years between ROTJ and TFA doesn't it? That's fine if you want to add in real world commentary, but this is suppose to be escapism fantasy. Mon Mothma as the leaders who allows slavery and arms shipments isn't what I want in Star Wars.

I don't think Rian ever thought for 5 minutes about what happened between ROTJ and TFA. He was too busy figuring out other themes with the assumption the First Order = The Empire = The Bad Guys and treating the story as if the rebels never won in ROTJ.
    To be honest i have not tried making sense of the politics since The Force Awakens. In OT it was simple. An evil empire and rebels fighting for their freedom. Here there's stuff like First Order, Republic, Resistance. I stopped trying making any sense with TFA as it was simply too good. I simply knew that the Republic was destroyed who were the power behind the Resistance which existed due to some reason.

I said that at a personal level. I liked that Rian showed those parts. Rich getting richer on the back of other's conflicts while the weak suffer is something quite understandable and feels 'real' so to speak. Now i don't want any realism in Star Wars.

But showing that from this place a hero can emerge is a fantastic theme. Rey is a nobody. One can easily project onto such a character as truly speaking most people aren't special in any respect. Same is with the kids as well as Rose. This works in a different way too. There are stories of princes and princesses where one identifies with them and lives one's fantasies on screen.

So strictly speaking i think there is enough stuff in here to not be considered as truly bad over years. The discussion was about the scenes being considered as the most hated part of the film by all fans. By showing that they used this stuff to try to develop character and showing something different which could be felt as relatable by some people.

Most important point is not subtext. Whether one enjoyed the scenes or not. Were they entertaining? Personally yes. People in general. It looks like no. Of course i hope that they will be appreciated even that hope is risky as they don't serve much narrative purpose. As Rose and Poe did not achieve anything worthwhile. Except Poe becoming a rebel. And we as audience member could care for Rose. And i love Rose. There's a kind of nobility and sweetness to her character that i loved her.

Now back to the politics part. You aren't wrong in saying that giving some background about what the situation was after ROTJ and right now would be helpful. New Republic looks to be ineffective, possibly corrupt too as all this was happening at Canto Bight.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-27-2018 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I disagree strongly. The movie and the franchise has no need and had no need to continue as the 'Kenobi-Skywalker' show. It's a side-issue to her parentage, which is what all her angst was about in episodes 7 and 8. It does nothing for her character or for the films other than to needlessly complicate things and tie everything back to the same 2 people over and over again. Is she Mandalorian now too? Is she going to train with Bobba Fett like Jaina Solo did in the awful Legacy of the Force?
    I don't think people have a problem with her not being related as much as they do that the mystery now seems like a waste of time. It doesn't help that the TFA trailers revealing her used the whole the force is strong in my family from ROTJ. Basically if her parents don't matter why make it a mystery? Why not just say from the start that she was abandoned?

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    I don't think people have a problem with her not being related as much as they do that the mystery now seems like a waste of time. It doesn't help that the TFA trailers revealing her used the whole the force is strong in my family from ROTJ. Basically if her parents don't matter why make it a mystery? Why not just say from the start that she was abandoned?
    Because they are making it up as they go along. Don't worry, this time around JJ Abrams has assured us that he....wait for it....HAS AN ACTUAL SCRIPT. To quote JJ "Having a script in advance is something we haven't always been lucky enough to have," https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/...-to-be-filmed/

Look,I can forgive the making it up as you go along stuff the first time around because George had no idea how big Star Wars was going to be, but what is Disney's excuse? They paid billions of dollars for Star Wars.