Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Recommend Me Some DC Rebirth Graphic Novels Please...

I already have read the following DC Rebirth graphic novels:

Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps Vol.1 Sinestro's Law
    Justice League Vol.1 Excintion Machines
    Justice League vs Suicide Squad

I just brought Red Hood & The Outlaws Vol.1 and Suicide Squad Vol. 1 today and these books were highly recommend so I'm looking forward to reading them but I would like to know what other DC Rebirth graphic novels starting with Vol.1 are worth picking up in the future?

BTW Is there a DC Rebirth New Gods/Fourth World graphic novel out yet? ��

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Tom King's Batman volumes are worth reading. His "I Am" trilogy concluding in I am Bane (Vol 3) is really good read together.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Tom King's Batman volumes are worth reading. His "I Am" trilogy concluding in I am Bane (Vol 3) is really good read together.

What about Superman Vol.1, Deathstroke Vol.1 or Aquaman Vol.1?

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Tom King's 'Batman' series has been good. On a personal level I've quite enjoyed Detective Comics too.

Both of the main Superman titles have been interesting reads. As much for where they've been taking the character as opposed to great writing. Williamson's 'The Flash' run has been great too.

I wouldn't recommend any more of the Justice League volumes from Bryan Hitch. Just read the first one four times and you'll have the general gist of it. If you liked HJATGLC you may like Sam Humphries 'Green Lanterns'.

Sadly, there are no Rebirth New Gods trades yet. Coming in the future though will be Tom King's absolutely sterling 'Mr. Miracle' series compiled. That mini series I'd recommend most of all. You'll have to wait for it though.
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 02-21-2018 at 01:13 PM.

BANNED

Gene Luen-Yang's New Super-Man (which has recently been retitled New Super-Man and the Justice League of China) has been by far the best Rebirth book and is the only one I'm still regularly reading and enjoying; it's a modern classic.

I would also recommend Sam Humphries' Green Lanterns. An amazing run which sadly finished up a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelGM View Post
    What about Superman Vol.1, Deathstroke Vol.1 or Aquaman Vol.1?
    Can't say anything about Superman, but Aquaman Vol. 1 was pretty good and Deathstroke, while not for me, was excellent.
    Last edited by Assam; 02-21-2018 at 01:10 PM.

Fantastic Member

I would recommend Superman and Super Sons if you enjoy Superman, I would also recommend Nightwing and the first volume of Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelGM View Post
    I already have read the following DC Rebirth graphic novels:

Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps Vol.1 Sinestro's Law
    Justice League Vol.1 Excintion Machines
    Justice League vs Suicide Squad

I just brought Red Hood & The Outlaws Vol.1 and Suicide Squad Vol. 1 today and these books were highly recommend so I'm looking forward to reading them but I would like to know what other DC Rebirth graphic novels starting with Vol.1 are worth picking up in the future?

BTW Is there a DC Rebirth New Gods/Fourth World graphic novel out yet? ��
    Sorry to say so but you wasted your money on Justice League vs. Suicide Squand and Suicide Squad.

Here are the good comics to get:

• DC Universe: Rebirth
    • Batman: Detective Comics Rebirth Deluxe Edition Book 1 or the smaller ones Rise of the Batmen / The Victim Syndicate
    • Flash: The Rebirth Deluxe Edition Book 1 or the smaller ones Lightning Strikes Twice / Speed of Darkness
    • Batman/Flash: The Button
    • Aquaman: The Drowning and Aquaman: Black Manta Rising
    • Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps: Sinestro's Law and Hal Jordan and Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps: Bottled Light and Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps: Quest For Hope
    • Deathstroke: The Professional
    • New Super-Man: Made In China
    • Titans: The Return of Wally West and Titans: Made In Manhattan
    • Titans: The Lazarus Contract
    • Nightwing: Rebirth Deluxe Edition Book 1 or the smaller ones Better Than Batman / Back To Blüdhaven
    • Batman: Night of the Monster Men
    • Superman: Rebirth Deluxe Edition Book 1 or the smaller ones Son of Superman / Trials of the Super Son
    • Super Sons: When I Grow Up...
    • Green Arrow: The Death & Life of Oliver Queen
    • Superman: Action Comics Rebirth Deluxe Edition Book 1 & 2 or the smaller ones Path of Doom / Welcome To The Planet / Men of Steel / The New World
    • Superman: Reborn

And they are all getting Better as I read on, especially Justice League and The Flash

Do not try:

• Suicide Squad
    • Harley Quinn
    • Batman - you can but it's less good that the previous sugestions
    • All-Star Batman

All Star Batman Vol. 1: My Own Worst Enemy

I absolutely think this is a good fun read. A big Batman writer for the first time focusing on Two-Face. Casting him as an information broker and Julian Assange or or the like.

It's Batman meets a grindhouse road trip kinda movie. It's the biggest Two-Face story in a while.

All-Star Batman, Vol. 2: Ends of the Earth is good too if you one story where Batman confronts about 4 different main rogues of his.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-21-2018 at 04:39 PM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I'd say:

Deathstroke Vol 1- The Professoonql
    Green Arrow Vol 1- The Life and Death of Oliver Queen
    Superman Vol 1- Son of Superman
    Action Comics Vol 1- Path of Doom
    The Flash Vol 1- Lightning Strikes Twice
    Nightwing Vol 1- Better than Batman
    Titans Vol 1- The Return of Wally West
    All Star Batman Vol 1- My Own Worst Enemy
    DC Universe Rebirth Deluxe Edition
    Batman/Flash: the Button

See what you like from those and continue from there.

As for New Gods. Mr Miracle isnt out in TPB yet and neither is the recent arc of Hal Jordan which had the likes of Orion and Highfather, plus Darkseid has been sighted in Wonder Woman and we visited Apokolips in Superman but I dont think those are in Graphic Novels yet
    Last edited by Denirac; 02-21-2018 at 04:41 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Batman
    The Flash
    Deathstroke

All three of those have the same creative teams they started with and are still going strong.

My other two favorites of Rebirth were Tim Seeley's Nightwing and Greg Rucka's Wonder Woman, both of which ended and were replaced by mediocrity unfortunately. Outside of the DC main line, I've read Doom Patrol which is great and I'd recommend checking out the other books in the Young Animal Line (Mother Panic, Cave Carson and Shade the Changing Girl). Warren Ellis's Wildstorm revamp is also great.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Sorry to be mean. But why do you only suggest poor quality stories ?
    Indeed they are not the worst there are but there are also lots of better stories to suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Sorry to say so but you wasted your money on Justice League vs. Suicide Squand and Suicide Squad.

Here are the good comics to get:

• DC Universe: Rebirth
    • Batman: Detective Comics Rebirth Deluxe Edition Book 1 or the smaller ones Rise of the Batmen / The Victim Syndicate
    • Flash: The Rebirth Deluxe Edition Book 1 or the smaller ones Lightning Strikes Twice / Speed of Darkness
    • Batman/Flash: The Button
    • Aquaman: The Drowning and Aquaman: Black Manta Rising
    • Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps: Sinestro's Law and Hal Jordan and Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps: Bottled Light and Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps: Quest For Hope
    • Deathstroke: The Professional
    • New Super-Man: Made In China
    • Titans: The Return of Wally West and Titans: Made In Manhattan
    • Titans: The Lazarus Contract
    • Nightwing: Rebirth Deluxe Edition Book 1 or the smaller ones Better Than Batman / Back To Blüdhaven
    • Batman: Night of the Monster Men
    • Superman: Rebirth Deluxe Edition Book 1 or the smaller ones Son of Superman / Trials of the Super Son
    • Super Sons: When I Grow Up...
    • Green Arrow: The Death & Life of Oliver Queen
    • Superman: Action Comics Rebirth Deluxe Edition Book 1 & 2 or the smaller ones Path of Doom / Welcome To The Planet / Men of Steel / The New World
    • Superman: Reborn

And they are all getting Better as I read on, especially Justice League and The Flash

Do not try:

• Suicide Squad
    • Harley Quinn
    • Batman - you can but it's less good that the previous sugestions
    • All-Star Batman
    Generally a great post. I only really disagree with you about not even trying King's Batman. It's not for everyone but you can't know without reading it if it's for you. And it's a controversial series because most either LOVE it or HATE it.

For me, a lifelong Batman fan, who has read every run by every writer at this point, King's Batman is the best Batman run ever.

For others it might be the worst ever.

But OP should decide that for themselves. That you don't care for King's Batman isn't a good reason to tell OP not to even try it. You must be aware, as anyone that follows comics is, that the majority of comic book reviews have King's Batman as very good to excellent.

I can't guess at fan breakdown. My knowledge there is very anecdotal and mostly based on posts here. Posts here tell me that approximately half love it and half hate it. When a series generates that kind of response everyone should at least try it based on even a 50/50 split. How many DC comics are 50% likely to be considered GREAT by the reader? There is very little middle ground with King's Batman. You love it or you hate it. Few are ambivalent. When that happens everyone should find out for themselves because they have at least a 50% chance of absolutely loving it.

As comic book reviews go it's closer to 80-90% raves. Just check the CBR home page, right here, for a rave review of the latest issue that also raves about the entire run.

My response to OP's question would be, "If you only read one series, make it Tom King's Batman or Tom King's Mister Miracle. I love so many DC comics lately but those two are on an entirely different level."
    Last edited by BatmanJones; 02-22-2018 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Sorry to be mean. But why do you only suggest poor quality stories ?
    Indeed they are not the worst there are but there are also lots of better stories to suggest.
    I will suggest what I suggest, sorry. It's all subjective. You listed some good ones that I'd second, some I wouldn't recommend & think are poor (and I wondered why you listed them). And I listed some ones I thought warranted mention or mention in a different light.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-22-2018 at 01:43 PM.

Even though im not a big Batman fan, both Batman and Detective Comics have been totally amazing.

I'd recommend those to anyone.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

I've really liked the Green Lanterns series so far. Bear in mind I've only read the first four trade paperbacks (Rage Planet, Phantom Lantern, Polarity, and First Ring), so I'm not up to speed on recent stuff, which I've gathered has been more love it or hate it. But I can attest that the first four for sure are well worth reading.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)