Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 46
  1. #31
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    28

    Default

    It is all to do with the writers; you’re right. I don’t think Dick is a terrible tactician it’s just that i’ve never seen much focus on that particular area as they do with Bruce.

  2. #32
    It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta
    Posts
    4,205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC93 View Post
    It is all to do with the writers; you’re right. I don’t think Dick is a terrible tactician it’s just that i’ve never seen much focus on that particular area as they do with Bruce.
    "Never" is too strong a term, here. Back in the 80's Dick was said to be, and portrayed as, the ultimate strategist/tactician in the DCU. It's only when New Teen Titans started to go downhill that his characterization slowly shifted back to the "laughing daredevil" archetype.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

    To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

  3. #33
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    "Never" is too strong a term, here. Back in the 80's Dick was said to be, and portrayed as, the ultimate strategist/tactician in the DCU. It's only when New Teen Titans started to go downhill that his characterization slowly shifted back to the "laughing daredevil" archetype.
    When I wrote never I meant in my experience with the character. ‘I’ve never’, not that he hasn’t been written that way before. Just in my readings.

  4. #34
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    6,438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    "Never" is too strong a term, here. Back in the 80's Dick was said to be, and portrayed as, the ultimate strategist/tactician in the DCU. It's only when New Teen Titans started to go downhill that his characterization slowly shifted back to the "laughing daredevil" archetype.
    Already in the 60s he was the "smart guy" of the Titans.

  5. #35
    Mighty Member LifeIsILL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,302

    Default

    It has to be Brainiac 5 or Vril Dox....or what is the point of those 2 characters?

  6. #36
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    11,347

    Default

    I wanna give a nod to Ted Kord. He may not be known for his strategic mind, but he's right up there with Bruce and Michael in terms of intelligence and has shown that when he's not goofing around, he can come up with some crazy plans.

    Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    It has to be Brainiac 5 or Vril Dox....or what is the point of those 2 characters?
    Thank you! Can't believe it took 3 pages for someone to mention Querl. The smartest character in the DCU and the man whose plans have single-handledly saved the day so many times, it actually got kind of annoying.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    He's brilliant in his own way but nowhere near the intellect of Tim Drake or Dick Grayson
    Personally I'd say Dick is closer in intelligence to Cass and Jason, who are both very intelligent, than he is to the super geniuses that are Bruce, Babs and sometimes Tim. Is he a superior leader and tactician to all the other characters I just mentioned? Yes, with the possible exception of Oracle, which is what this thread is about. But in terms of just pure intellect, I don't really see the evidence that he's much smarter than the aforementioned siblings. He has more experience and training in certain areas, but that doesn't make him smarter.

  7. #37
    Judgement Awaits LordAllMIghty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    4,942

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbatos666 View Post
    He's the God of War though.
    True he is the god of war but it savage warfar...his sister Athena is also a god of war but of Strategic warfare.
    Try Jesus. Don't try me...cause I throw hands. https://youtu.be/zFU0PTsykeU

  8. #38
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    6,438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Personally I'd say Dick is closer in intelligence to Cass and Jason, who are both very intelligent, than he is to the super geniuses that are Bruce, Babs and sometimes Tim. Is he a superior leader and tactician to all the other characters I just mentioned? Yes, with the possible exception of Oracle, which is what this thread is about. But in terms of just pure intellect, I don't really see the evidence that he's much smarter than the aforementioned siblings. He has more experience and training in certain areas, but that doesn't make him smarter.
    I don't even see really proof for him being smarter than Jason in terms of pure intellect (Cass is a difficult case when it comes to intellect due to her lack of education).

    When it comes to tactics: Jason came up with some quite good plans pre flashpoint (when written by Winick) and in the new 52 he also managed for example to come up with a plan to break into the SHADE head quarter and steal a space ship from them.

  9. #39
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    11,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I don't even see really proof for him being smarter than Jason in terms of pure intellect
    I agree. I'm just saying the three are in the same range and Dick shouldn't be counted among the geniuses.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Cass is a difficult case when it comes to intellect due to her lack of education)
    In the first issue of her book, Barbara described her as highly intelligent and I believe she lived up to that throughout the rest of Pre-FP continuity, often thinking of ways to work around her limitations, coming up with her own fair share of clever plans and, through the aid of her body reading, being able to understand people very quickly. She'd fail at times too, but that's true of every good character.

  10. #40
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Chamblee, GA
    Posts
    1,022

    Default

    Dream Girl - highly intelligent, great team leader and most importantly a precog!

  11. #41
    DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    12,631

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC93 View Post
    It is all to do with the writers; you’re right.
    Nothing is carved in stone when we're talking about imaginary characters.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

    Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

    Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

  12. #42
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    54,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamgut View Post
    Dream Girl - highly intelligent, great team leader and most importantly a precog!
    And a very on-point codename .

  13. #43
    JSA Member Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Mr Terrific
    Deathstroke
    Batman
    Lex Luthor should rank up here, but I don't think he quite deserves it
    Tim Drake

  14. #44
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Hawkman: Carter Hall's previous lives have included that of warriors, he has centuries worth of combat knowledge. In addition, his status as an adventurer has meant that in his current; and previous lives, he is very knowledgeable.

  15. #45
    Mighty Member SixSpeedSamurai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,073

    Default

    Batman
    Lex Luthor
    Tim Drake
    Deathstroke

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •