Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Paramount cancels Transformers cinematic universe

https://www.cbr.com/transformers-7-d...bro-paramount/

TLDR: Due to the disappointing results of the Last Knight, Paramount has dropped all future Transformers films from their slate except for the upcoming Bumblebee spin-off which releases this December.

Bumblebee the Movie is a prequel taking place in the early 80s featuring Bumblebee as a VW beetle fighting on his own. Paramount will use the movie as a reboot for the entire franchise if it is successful.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Never fear, the Tamagotchi Cinematic Universe will be launching shortly, I'm sure.

I never expected they'd be able to make this work anyways, so I can't say I'm surprised.

Makes me wonder if they'll still keep going along with their planned Hasbro Cinematic Universe with G.I. Joe, Micronauts, etc.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Surprising, but not totally unexpected. Paramount had been losing money for awhile now. All their big name IPs (Star Trek, Transformers, TMNT, G.I. Joe, and Terminator) under performed or fizzled out at the BO. Mission Impossible 5 and the upcoming MI6, are the only money makers they have left.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I never expected they'd be able to make this work anyways, so I can't say I'm surprised.

Makes me wonder if they'll still keep going along with their planned Hasbro Cinematic Universe with G.I. Joe, Micronauts, etc.
    The development of the Hasbro universe has been pretty messy. Spider-Man: Homecoming writers John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein were hired to oversee the entire project and they both said that the Rom and M.A.S.K. movies aren't coming anytime soon. The next G.I. Joe movie will be a reboot and has a March 2020 release date. Micronauts has an October 2020 release date. Both have completed scripts. Apparently Dungeons and Dragons is a part of the franchise too and will be releasing in July of 2021. There is an unknown film coming in October 2021.

The next two Transformers films were going to be Transformers 7 and a Transformers/G.I. Joe crossover film. Both are cancelled.

I don't have much faith in this universe since it's literally just for selling toys and not actually for any sort of decent storytelling (despite how much I have wanted to see the Micronauts appear on the big screen)

Micheal Bay literally ignored all criticism with the Transformers movies and did the same thing in each one, while getting progressively worse. The first film is the only one I can say I really enjoyed. The third one was okay, but the main problem with these movies was that they added to much human drama and unfunny jokes/ characters like Sam’s parents.
    Last edited by Iron_Legion87; 02-16-2018 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    The development of the Hasbro universe has been pretty messy. Spider-Man: Homecoming writers John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein were hired to oversee the entire project and they both said that the Rom and M.A.S.K. movies aren't coming anytime soon. The next G.I. Joe movie will be a reboot and has a March 2020 release date. Micronauts has an October 2020 release date. Both have completed scripts. Apparently Dungeons and Dragons is a part of the franchise too and will be releasing in July of 2021. There is an unknown film coming in October 2021.

The next two Transformers films were going to be Transformers 7 and a Transformers/G.I. Joe crossover film. Both are cancelled.

I don't have much faith in this universe since it's literally just for selling toys and not actually for any sort of decent storytelling (despite how much I have wanted to see the Micronauts appear on the big screen)
    I don't think being based around selling toys should prevent good storytelling and universe-building, since that's never stopped the Transformers before.

It's just not easy to build a shared, cinematic, universe from scratch (especially when you're just aping Marvel), especially with the Bay movies as a base.

Came here to post the same thing. Off by exactly one hour. But the way I read it, Hasbro basically forced Paramount's hand, Paramount didn't decide this on their own. If it was up to Paramount we'd probably have Bayformers 6 and beyond.

Source:

*shrugs* I don't care who is running the show as long as it ultimately results in Rodimus Prime.

I wonder if them rebooting the movies with Bumblebee is more of Hasbro trying to push Bumblebee as the main character of the franchise going forward...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if them rebooting the movies with Bumblebee is more of Hasbro trying to push Bumblebee as the main character of the franchise going forward...
    I think its more Hasbro trying to sell toys. One thing I noticed is only the first two movies have complete lines. 3 and beyond you never got a Leader Class Dark of the Moon Megatron for instance, toys that didn't match the characters, toys of characters who didn't appear in the movie, etc. It was a mess and I imagine they're sick of it. With more control, it won't be so scattered and more complete like the first two movies.

So will the Bumblebee prequel not tie into any of the existing cancelled Transformers series?

You say that it can serve as a reboot for the franchise.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I just want to see a good Micronauts movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I just want to see a good Micronauts movie.
    And Go Bots. And Rock Lords. Rock Lords would be fun I think!

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    And Go Bots. And Rock Lords. Rock Lords would be fun I think!
    Go Bots?!? The Dollar store version of Transformers? Hard pass.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Can't say I enjoyed any of them. Glad it's over.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-16-2018 at 11:19 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”