Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

You will have to update us to tell us what you think after you have read them.

teflonrobg

The Old Republic is so great. I started reading it on Saturday and almost done with Volume 1. I got Vol 2 coming in the mail this week. My next series after Old Republic will be The Empire. That series looks good. The third series I want to read is still up in the air though.

When do they get to the "Knight Errant" stuff?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I've been a big EU kick lately and I wanted to pick these up but holy cats they are expensive! Especially the first one which looks to be going for $100+ on ebay. I never do digital comics but I made an exception in this case, about $34 for the whole KOTOR series on Amazon. Hopefully it'll look good on my ipad.

It's not KOTOR but I finished Dark Empire not too long ago and I thought it was great. I personally preferred that as a follow up to ROTJ instead of what we got. I still need to read the sequel. I'll have to check out the KOTOR books though, not much in the way of new content currently.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

The sequels to DARK EMPIRE aren't that great, pretty much they have to mop up a lot of stuff to make way for Kevin J. Anderson's Jedi Academy trilogy. There was also a planned tie-in graphic novel for II which got dropped that would've helped with some of the background for II. Empire's End (The 2-part finale) seems especially rushed and doesn't feature Cam Kennedy's work, but that of a sort of 1970's style comic with Dark Empire's weird colors. Doesn't really work......

What's perhaps most noteable about II is that it states Boba Fett has a connection to the Stormtroopers, which is kind of interesting considering his eventual origin story.

Crimson Empire is pretty good. It's a sort of semi-sequel dealing with the Emperor's royal guards. It also sets up aspects of the New Jedi Order novels.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I feel like the critical consensus on Dark Empire has turned maybe not negative over the years, but it is no longer a must-read EU story like (say) the Thrawn novels still are. People were using it to dunk on TROS but in a "lol you guys made something as dumb as Dark Empire" way as opposed to a "skip TROS, read Dark Empire" way.

I haven't read it in years--not even sure I have my copies anymore in my bloated mess of a collection--but I chiefly remember being blown away by the art.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I loved the Knights of the Old Republic series. It is one of my favorite Star Wars series ever. It ran for 50 some issues so I would assume there is one more collection they will do. I loved that these were all new characters.

Another book that I loved that was being published around that period is Dark Times. It takes place right after the fall of the Jedi and follows a jedi survivor trying to survive in the now Empire controlled galaxy. I would highly recomend all 3 of the Star Wars Legends Epic Collection: The Empire books. They are not cannon true but nothing in them really contradicts cannon either since they take place so soon after the events in Revenge of the Sith, and that seems to be a time period Disney is staying away from more or less. These books really show Vader hunting down the jedi survivors and trying to exterminate the order completely.
    were those like comic books or graphic novels or just regular reading novels?

(sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm new here and not that familiar)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl_70 View Post
    From how you've both replied, it sounds like many of these chunky trades will have some great stories. Maybe I should "investigate" and buy one of each to check them out.
    I don't know why Disney had to go and screw with all the expanded universe and void them, so to speak.

Even though I've liked most every new canon story so far, that's been released into Hardcovers, I CRINGED thru and DID NOT like the Chewbacca book in "Heroes for a New Hope" HC.
    The artwork of the girl and her age was distracting and annoying. That nose..... Anyway....I Did NOT like her personality either. I don't think I'll ever read that one again. Blech. Grade D.
    I did think Lando was excellent, A+ and Princess Leia's mini was a decent above average story.

P.S. - Zero Hunter - you've coined a new phrase "CANON NEUTRAL"
    How do you feel about star wars after disney got it? What did you like and not fro movies, tv and literature?

Quote Originally Posted by Ash2020 View Post
    were those like comic books or graphic novels or just regular reading novels?

(sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm new here and not that familiar)
    Those would be comic books and graphic novels. The Epic Collections are Marvel's large paperback reprints of various classic and old comics they have the rights to, including their own superheros and Star Wars stuff.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)