Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    John Stewart.

Why John Stewart? Because Green Lanterns are fairly A-list, and using John Stewart won't cause anybody in tv series I like to be killed off.
    And he's already well known from the DC Animated Universe. So there's a following too.

I would say Vixen, but if I'm being honest DC doesn't have a Black character at the calibre of Black Panther, much like Marvel doesn't have a female character at the calibre of Wonder Woman.

Female Heroes: DC
    Black Heroes: Marvel
    Asian Heroes: ???
    Hispanic Heroes: DC
    Other Heroes: Marvel

As you can see, both companies have their strengths and weaknesses.
    Last edited by El_Gato; 02-16-2018 at 04:40 PM.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Diggle/Spartan.... Or John Stewart

Retired

They already have Black Lightning on TV, so Black Adam, Blackhawk, Black Orchid, Black Canary, Black Hand, Black Manta, Black Racer, Black Pirate, Black Condor, Black Bison, Black Spider.

Extraordinary Member

I'm also kind of averse to the whole tit-for-tat approach to representation of under-represented minority characters, but if we are gonna play that game...

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    John Stewart.

Why John Stewart? Because Green Lanterns are fairly A-list, and using John Stewart won't cause anybody in tv series I like to be killed off.
    I'd say the issue with that is that John Stewart isn't a character who is the cornerstone of his own franchise. He's one of the characters in the larger Green Lantern franchise. Its similar to the issue they've run into pushing Cyborg as a solo hero. John and Victor are supporting characters to the Green Lantern Corps and the Titans, respectively. And there's nothing wrong with that because those characters are still important (look at almost all the X-Men big names). Though, it does mean they're less interesting without the other characters from that franchise.

T'Challa is the cornerstone of his own franchise, the ringleader of his own little slice of the Marvel Universe. To really be equivalent, I think DC has to push a character that also has that going for them.

I'd nominate either Black Lightning or Static. Static had a very popular animated series back in the day (a series I seriously loved), so like John he already has a following. However, unlike John and like T'Challa, he's the lead character of his own franchise, not a supporting character of a larger one.

Black Lightning is also an appealing option because of some of the same reasons. He currently has a live action series on the CW so pushing him would be a little more relevant and coincide nicely with the series getting up on its feet. Plus, like Static and Black Panther, he has his own mythology to draw from, complete with some interesting supporting characters in his two daughters and his own (albeit limited) set of villains.

DC could even make Virgil a supporting character of Jefferson's or vice versa if they wanted to combine the two franchises.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 02-16-2018 at 05:00 PM.

how about all of them
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Mr.Terrific or Black Lightning.

But really no one. DC shouldn't even try to compete with Marvel in these movies. $200 million in 4 days for BP?? Come on....that's when you just fold up shop and start over at this point.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    I would say Vixen, but if I'm being honest DC doesn't have a Black character at the calibre of Black Panther, much like Marvel doesn't have a female character at the calibre of Wonder Woman.

Asian Heroes: Marvel
    Jubliee,hulk(cho)sunfire and shang chi.

Sunfire will be in new x-men movie coming out by the way.

Hispanic Heroes: Marvel

You forgetting the miles (spiderman) movie,and he may show up in live action,plus inferno and ms.america will be in secret warriors big screen animated movie.
    There is a latino hero in the big hero 6 movie and show and the new mutants movie is coming out with a latino in the main cast.
    Last edited by mace11; 02-16-2018 at 05:08 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Asian Heroes: Marvel
    Jubliee,hulk(cho)shang chi,sunfire and shang chi.
    You forgot Daken. I actually can't think of many prominent asian Marvel heroes outside of the ones you mentioned, some of whom are only known to hardcore comic fans. And again, I don't like playing the tit-for-tat game in regard to these issues, but DC has several prominent Asian characters like Doctor Light (Hoshi), Grace Choi, Katana, Cheshire, Lady Shiva, Cass Cain, The Great Ten, Rose Wilson, Ryan Choi Atom, and now Kong Kenan (the New Super-Man).

Agreed!!!!!

Retired

I'm serious about my list of "Black" characters.

Besides Aquaman and Wonder Woman, Black Adam fits the equivalent of a Black Panther type character. And by featuring him, the movies can address this American phobia over Arab people.

Blackhawk is another way to address diversity. And set during WW II, it would establish a history of diversity among the heroes. But I would probably switch out Chuck for a character from a North African nation. Chuck, as an American, never fit the model of the Blackhawks, because all the others were from countries invaded by the Axis. Well, if Olaf is from Sweden then he also doesn't fit, so maybe he was really representing Norway or Denmark.

Black Orchid is a powerful female that deserves a new treatment. I always liked that we never knew who she was and any woman in a story could potentially be her.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    You forgot Daken. I actually can't think of many prominent asian Marvel heroes outside of the ones you mentioned, some of whom are only known to hardcore comic fans. And again, I don't like playing the tit-for-tat game in regard to these issues, but DC has several prominent Asian characters like Doctor Light (Hoshi), Grace Choi, Katana, Cheshire, Lady Shiva, Cass Cain, The Great Ten, Rose Wilson, Ryan Choi Atom, and now Kong Kenan (the New Super-Man).

Here is more.
    There is nico, may from aos,silk,colleen wing,2 from the big hero 6 show and movie,wong,iso and yukio.

Does race change heroes count?
    Asian blink from the movies and show the gifted,asian quake,asian hogun and asian elektra.
    Last edited by mace11; 02-16-2018 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    NOBODY because in order for DC to do that-it would mean EFFORT not doing as little as you can and expect results.

That movie was a result of twenty years of work (and previous successful Marvel films) that started with that first issue of BP by Priest in 1998.

You gotta find someone who is willing to DO the work. That includes writer, artist, editor and management all standing together with a PLAN.

That means dealing with low sales and push back by those who don't want to see a black lead book or any black character be treated equal.

A rush job with any of those guys don't make up the misdirection and nonsense that prevented those guys from amounting to more than what they are.
    This is a good point
    Black Panther had many ups and downs til he got to this point
    He was shoved in the background and ignored but once the momentum started you had a slew of marvel movies featuring the character and now his push leads to a well received movie.

The only character I see hitting that catharsis factor with DC is John Stewart
    He's been pushed and then shelved and then held back and now he's kinda in limbo
    That type of small effort is all that's needed for that character to make it big but it won't be like Black Panther

Astonishing Member

Cyborg, Static or John Stewart could work.

Vic is held back because DC decides to ignore his past with the TT and don't give him much to do in JL or in his own comic.

John Stewart was close to getting a real push when the Justice League cartoon was airing but the push kind of fell short.

Can DC even use Static right now?

Marvel has plenty of great female characters
    you are just saying marvel lacks a character as old and iconic as Wonder Woman which is true but you could also argue that DC has no black heroes worth a lick compared to black panther.
    In fact DC's pantheon of black heroes is pathetic compared to marvel primarily because so many of them are either in limbo or second string characters to other heroes.

Marvel knows their strengths and in the process exposes DC's weaknesses