Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 313738394041

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    So Terrific is part James Bond, part Reed Richards, and part Doc Savage. Definitely an awesome character!
    Not only is he the leader of The Terrifics, but he was also the White King of Checkmate and the longtime chairman of the JSA, and he's the only superhero I know who has actually stated that he's an atheist.
    Last edited by Castling; 10-30-2018 at 12:07 PM.

I have an idea. DC could do a team movie.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    Yeah, it's kind of hilarious that people think Marvel is woke now because of Black Panther. The truth is we got Black Panther because Marvel ran out of white guys named Chris to make movies about, and even then, BP got pushed back so they could sneak in Tom Holland's Spider-man movie. Before that, black guys in the MCU were nothing more than sidekicks. Even Heimdall over in Thor turned out to be Asgard's glorified doorman who wasn't very good at his job.
    Pretty much. Not to mention BP was the MCU's 18th movie. It's not like they didn't have the rights to the Black Panther character like they didn't with some of their A-listers. They cared so much about representation that they wanted to make sure their white heroes got successful movies first in order to establish their cinematic brand and only then start to think about the diversity factor. The MCU is the furthest thing from instant gratification, people should think about it before they say that WB has no choice but to "answer" them. They shouldn't try to answer **** until they actually get their act together.
    Last edited by Johnny; 10-30-2018 at 01:19 PM.

Does DC need to answer Marvel on whatever Marvel introduces? No.

Does DC need to improve their work on representation in various ways: Hell yes. But right now they have mostly crappy representation, so better make sure to do it right.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Does DC need to answer Marvel on whatever Marvel introduces? No.

Does DC need to improve their work on representation in various ways: Hell yes. But right now they have mostly crappy representation, so better make sure to do it right.
    This is what it boils down to.

There were folks fighting to make sure Black Panther was not made. All of their names are executive producers of that billion dollar movie.

Marvel was never woke. Don't let anyone tell you different.

They LUCKED out on what many writers have pointed out to me-the market for black lead stuff especially superheroes is WIDE OPEN to whoever wants it.
    Marvel chose to jump in and HOPED for the best. Antman box office returns. Not Avatar box office. NO one expected that demand film, toys and what have you.

Why are they not doing more? Yes that is a legit question. Because unlike DC the line of black guys who have their own worlds is long. Blade, Cage, Night Thrasher, Blue Marvel, Brother Voodoo and even lesser guys like Flint, Rocker Racer, Prowler, Moon Girl, Riri Williams and Bishop say hi.

All I can say is they didn't expect that big of a hit with Panther. Otherwise they have no excuse.

I'm cool with more characters especially minorities getting more of a shot than they normally would. If they wanna do the futile thing and pick a fight with Marvel/Black Panther, then so be it.

I'm sick of tradition, lets break the rules and try some new things.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    Yeah, it's kind of hilarious that people think Marvel is woke now because of Black Panther. The truth is we got Black Panther because Marvel ran out of white guys named Chris to make movies about, and even then, BP got pushed back so they could sneak in Tom Holland's Spider-man movie. Before that, black guys in the MCU were nothing more than sidekicks. Even Heimdall over in Thor turned out to be Asgard's glorified doorman who wasn't very good at his job.
    Fanboys will defend the MCU films to the grave. Without acknowledging any flaws or anything. Honestly I think this was a bait thread.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I think it's a freaking disgrace how many great characters there are in the DC stable that AREN'T being used as they should.
    And I believe a couple are absolute no brainers

Black Lightning - An AWESOME character, already has a great history within the DCU and currently has a top-notch TV show to boot! Let's get a Jefferson book on the stands ASAP!!

Static Shock - Another brilliant character who by rights should already be a member of the new Teen Titans. DC seem to refuse to utilize the the Milestone universe, so let's start bringing them all across to the DCU proper, Icon, Hardware, Rocket the Blood Syndicate. Let's go ALL OUT!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    And honestly if your favorite studio is so damn progressive when it comes to black heroes. Why did they take so long? Why aren't there more in the works? Why are black heroes from your favorite studio regulated to being the black best friend/sidekick? I'm preparing for excuses simply because it's Marvel.
    Marvel tried to use most of their popular characters first to give them solos, which are heroes created in the 60's when minorities weren't accepted in pop culture?

Iron Man 3 movies
    Thor 3 movies
    Captain America 3 movies
    Avengers 2 movies
    Hulk(bombed)
    GOTG 2 movies(team ensemble)
    Doctor Strange
    Ant-Man
    Spider-Man

All these came before BP and the only question marks might be Doctor Strange and Ant-Man. I don't really see the problem. Marvel tried to use the popular characters first. Granted GOTG is an odd choice but that is a team movie in space. It's not like I see Marvel going to pump out more white solo male hero movies soon.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I think it's a freaking disgrace how many great characters there are in the DC stable that AREN'T being used as they should.
    And I believe a couple are absolute no brainers

Black Lightning - An AWESOME character, already has a great history within the DCU and currently has a top-notch TV show to boot! Let's get a Jefferson book on the stands ASAP!!

Static Shock - Another brilliant character who by rights should already be a member of the new Teen Titans. DC seem to refuse to utilize the the Milestone universe, so let's start bringing them all across to the DCU proper, Icon, Hardware, Rocket the Blood Syndicate. Let's go ALL OUT!
    I give DC some slack on milestone simply because it's tied up in legal issues but at the same time A) I'm sure if DC really wanted to they could have settled this issue a long time ago and B) they're plans have appear to be sticking them on another earth which likely would mean little to no interaction with the mainstream heroes which is a bummer.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Marvel tried to use most of their popular characters first to give them solos, which are heroes created in the 60's when minorities weren't accepted in pop culture?

Iron Man 3 movies
    Thor 3 movies
    Captain America 3 movies
    Avengers 2 movies
    Hulk(bombed)
    GOTG 2 movies(team ensemble)
    Doctor Strange
    Ant-Man
    Spider-Man

All these came before BP and the only question marks might be Doctor Strange and Ant-Man. I don't really see the problem. Marvel tried to use the popular characters first. Granted GOTG is an odd choice but that is a team movie in space. It's not like I see Marvel going to pump out more white solo male hero movies soon.
    Of the characters listed here, the most popular one was the Hulk due to the live action t.v series, the 90s cartoon and 2003 Hulk film. The Guardians, the Avengers and Dr Strange were nowhere near as popular as they are now at the time of the MCU's infancy. Iron Man was expected to bomb partly because of the character's lack of popularity (the other factor was RDJ's run ins with the law making him a controversial casting choice).

The MCU could have used BP as the second, third or fourth character to get a solo film as he was about as popular as any other character they had access to. How popular you are with the general audience doesn't affect how successful your movie is. After all, the first successful Marvel comic movie was Blade.