Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    http://deadline.com/2018/02/black-pa...ce-1202291093/

Yeah Dc is going to get ROASTED for this.

70% came because it's Black Panther. For a guy most folks who don't read comics didn't know about until CA Civil War.

I don't think they expected THIS.
    I've seen the articles, why are you telling me this? What solution do these numbers provide for WB's predicament? Marvel has been breaking records for years and WB has been trying to unsuccessfully go after them for years, so what does this change for WB? You want them to keep doing what they've been doing when they get "roasted" no matter what? How about take a smarter approach for once, instead of the "obvious" one that they haven't been able to handle properly for years.
    Last edited by Johnny; 02-17-2018 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I have gone to Wal-Mart and seen Black Panther toy shelves EMPTY-Justice League toys still there in BULK.
    In all fairness, the Justice League movie was released a few months ago, and the toys were starting to become available before then. There's also a question of whether the manufacturers were producing as many Black Panther-related toys prior to now as they were at this same period in regard to Justice League-related products.
    It will be interesting to see if Black Panther toys will be in as much demand in a few months or not, and whether interest will be all across the United States or more regionalized. (For example, I'd be curious as to whether or not the Black Panther movie and related tie-in products will be as widely popular in, say, Iowa as they might be in places like New York.)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I've seen the articles, why are you telling me this? What solution do these numbers provide for WB's predicament? Marvel has been breaking records for years and WB has been trying to unsuccessfully go after them for years, so what does this change for WB? You want them to keep doing what they've been doing when they get "roasted" no matter what? How about take a smarter approach for once, instead of the "obvious" one that they haven't been able to handle properly for years.
    They could actually you know do the smart thing and not be tone deaf past the point of stupidity
    I mean they have been inept at making movies but they have more or less understood which characters resonated with people and which ones aren't at the right time.
    Right now DC needs to push one of their black heroes. Black Panther became something that Blade or Steel didn't because of the cultural and political climate as well as because it is genuinely a story catering to a demographic that has been starved for this type of representation.

There was another character called Skyrocket who might be interesting to see on screen. She's pretty obscure but you could use that to your advantage and find an idiosyntric director to add to DC's stable. Since certain characters like Vixen or Mr. Terrific don't have a ton of stories designed for them under their belt more creative directors would like the chance to flesh that out.

There is a lot of EGO in writing after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    They could actually you know do the smart thing and not be tone deaf past the point of stupidity.
    The irony is they failed so terribly precisely because they weren't being "tone deaf" and thought they could take advantage of Marvel's success without thinking through what they were actually getting into. By all means, if WB wants to keep embarrassing themselves, go for it. It's their money. I'm merely pointing out they're horribly bad at what they've been doing and the DC universe keeps suffering for it.
    Last edited by Johnny; 02-17-2018 at 10:46 AM.

Bite Your Head Off, Man Deathscythe's Avatar

John Henry Irons as Steel. Connect him to Superman like the comics did, but without Superman's death. Steel takes up the armor and his own shield to stop gang violence in his neighborhood. Play up that he's one of the most brilliant guys in the DCU and perhaps have him grow into a Tony Stark role, i.e., going from fired from his work as a designer to starting his own company and fighting crime as Steel.

Mighty Member

Crowd: "Come on WB. Where is your Marvel's [insert trending hero] answer?"
    (WB makes the movie in 2 months.)
    WB: "Here."
    Crowd: "THIS SUCKS WB! STOP RUINING MY FAVORITE HERO!"

How about we let WB make good movies before worrying about other things. We want the movies to be watchable, do we.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Deathscythe View Post
    John Henry Irons as Steel. Connect him to Superman like the comics did, but without Superman's death. Steel takes up the armor and his own shield to stop gang violence in his neighborhood. Play up that he's one of the most brilliant guys in the DCU and perhaps have him grow into a Tony Stark role, i.e., going from fired from his work as a designer to starting his own company and fighting crime as Steel.
    we already had a phenomenal Steel film that was exactly that

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yohyoi View Post
    Crowd: "Come on WB. Where is your Marvel's [insert trending hero] answer?"
    (WB makes the movie in 2 months.)
    WB: "Here."
    Crowd: "THIS SUCKS WB! STOP RUINING MY FAVORITE HERO!"

How about we let WB make good movies before worrying about other things. We want the movies to be watchable, do we.
    when has this scenario ever happened

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    when has this scenario ever happened
    Like everytime Marvel did something new. Thanos, GotG, Avengers, etc. WB should stop being so reactionary. Just make movies that are good.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Marvel has to use the Captain Marvel name in order to retain the rights to the name, but they didn't need to push Carol Danvers in the role or try to elevate the brand. They could've left Noh'Varr in the role and had him pop in for a cameo every once in a while and been fine. They pushed Carol because they realized they lacked a major A-list female character and, through whatever marketing/creative decision making process they used, decided that upgrading Carol to "Captain" was the way to go. They've been pushing her since 2012, and while her monthly floppy sales aren't great, she's gaining traction and got a lot of attention when she took up the mantle.

And DC never actually owned the Captain Marvel name. Marvel picked the name from the decayed corpse of Fawcett before DC bought the characters. At least as far as I recall anyway.

Snyder wasn't the only problem. WB micromanage terribly, and forced a lot of changes and adjustments in Snyder's films that ended up making the movies even worse. WB didn't have any faith in Wonder Woman, and left Jenkins alone because that movie wasn't worth screwing with.

Micromanagement has always been a problem with WB/DC. They ruin the good things by letting every jackass have their input.
    I say this as a Carol fan, but she's a really obscure character. There's no way that modern day Marvel wanted an A-List female hero and thought that Carol with her convoluted history was the best bet. There's a handful of other heroines that are more recognizable to the general public ( She-Hulk, Storm, Invisible Woman, Black Widow).

Having said that, I do believe that once they made Carol the new Capt Marvel they decided to really commit to it. And once they figured that they could option her for use in other media, it was like "Screw poor comic book sales, we can get her into video games and movies! Female athletes can wear her suit!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    DC is gonna get called out regardless of what they do
    Black Panther has ushered in a new era
    So Black Super heroes are not off the table anymore

Firestorm is interesting but I'm only for it if they never even mention Ronnie or Professor Stein again and its all about Jason or Jax
    DC was called out and mocked for the bad cgi in Justice League. Black Panther had the same problems too. they have not been called out.

As a person who always preferred John Stewart to Hal Jordan, if there is ever a stand alone green lantern movie, it better be John.

Astonishing Member

I think that the whole "Black DC hero in response to Black Panther" question is seriously flawed.
    BP is not just a black superhero. The movie is not just a "black hero" thing: it's something way deeper, with a cultural subtext which is also historically significant and politically relevant. It takes a lot of work, intelligence and time to make a character THIS significant and unique AND interesting to a lot of people. And no, nothing at DC is even vaguely comparably to that right now.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yohyoi View Post
    Like everytime Marvel did something new. Thanos, GotG, Avengers, etc. WB should stop being so reactionary. Just make movies that are good.
    No. WB has literally never ever done that. You can't even name one time. I agree with you but it's never happened

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    I think that the whole "Black DC hero in response to Black Panther" question is seriously flawed.
    BP is not just a black superhero. The movie is not just a "black hero" thing: it's something way deeper, with a cultural subtext which is also historically significant and politically relevant. It takes a lot of work, intelligence and time to make a character THIS significant and unique AND interesting to a lot of people. And no, nothing at DC is even vaguely comparably to that right now.
    It be a Black Female superhero, she should just join Wonderwoman in her next film