Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Fan outrage when Claremont took over?

I have always heard there were a lot of people upset when Chris Claremont took over the X-Men and brought in the All New and Different X-Men and diversified the X-Men but I had only seen one or two letters in the pages. And assumed it was a minority. However, people have told me that there was an enormous amount of anger when the O5 was sidelined and I always found that hard to believe given that Claremont saved the franchise.

Anyway I came across this little gem and thought I would share for those who haven't seen it. Sounds on par to a message you'd see on the internet these days.

Fantastic Member

It's not hard to believe. There's fan outrage every time big changes are made.

Well it's kind of hard to be outraged when your book gets cancelled and then launched again

Some of you all haven't been to a comic shop. There is always fan outrage. Most of the time we still buy the title that has us outraged.

BANNED

I miss the days when Big Two publishers would actually print and address negative feedback, instead of all the cheerleading they do these days. And ESPECIALLY didn't lie about not receiving any at all (lookin' at you, Gugs).

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I miss the days when Big Two publishers would actually print and address negative feedback, instead of all the cheerleading they do these days. And ESPECIALLY didn't lie about not receiving any at all (lookin' at you, Gugs).
    Look at the name of the person who sent the letter.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Look at the name of the person who sent the letter.
    Claremont: “Well if you don’t like it then write your OWN damn comics!”

Busiek: “FINE!”
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

BANNED

The Uncanny X-Men omnibuses print all the letter pages. It also has cartoons of Claremont and Wein being burned at the stake in the supplemental material, which was Marvel at the time making jest of the fact that they got so many negative feedback.

Kurt Busiek came up with the shitty Phoenix retcon.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    The Uncanny X-Men omnibuses print all the letter pages. It also has cartoons of Claremont and Wein being burned at the stake in the supplemental material, which was Marvel at the time making jest of the fact that they got so many negative feedback.

Which one, there’ve been a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post

Colossus and Kitty are still getting married. Bendis is at DC, and it appears Jason Aaron is following him. Soon you can complain about Billy Batson and Star Girl getting back together. I will say, DC is a great company. Have fun.

BANNED

I can imagine a young and awkward Busiek getting all flustered by Emma's racy corset. Absolutely scandalous.

Well it's kind of hard to be outraged when your book gets cancelled and then launched again
    with a brand new cast. This happens today. It's not that hard to beleive

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Claremont *radically* changed the X-Men from what they were. Like almost completely. I would compare it to X-FOrce turning into X-Statix. That change also got enormous pushback in the letters/email columns of like 2001/2002.

It is kind of funny how people want to cling to the status quo and the iconic/main X-Men who themselves were absolutely "All New All Different" compared to the original squad. It's (forgive this analogy lol) almost like white people in the USA being "against immigrants".
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    with a brand new cast. This happens today. It's not that hard to beleive
    There wasn't a sign of it returning the book was canned. Until it was ressurected. What happens today is there is almost hope of a relaunch and revamp. It's not the same thing. It was an unusual thing back then

Cancelled in 1970 and relaunched in 1975
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 02-16-2018 at 10:35 PM.

There wasn't a sign of it returning the book was canned. Until it was ressurected. What happens today is there is almost hope of a relaunch and revamp. It's not the same thing. It was an unusual thing back then
    So people should just be happy a title is back even if its nothing like what they loved before? I dont get that logic. The Silver age book was rough but there were those that loved it and what Claremont wrote with the All New team was jarring as it was a radical change. The book may have been cancelled but the team was still around, making appearances all across the MU. They were dismantled and Jean was killed off in the issue that prompted this letter. I really dont see how its hard to imagine why he would be upset.