Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

The letter criticises the book after issue #113. That was just after John Byrne took over the penciling/co-plotting from Dave Cockrum. Also, in 1978, Jim Shooter became the EIC of Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    As I said above the book was cancelled in 1970 and relaunched in 1975. Thats five years. They should be even grateful they got the book back given how juvenile the writing was before Claremont. He did not like the darker tone.
    I'm not even sure what you are talking about. Juvenile writing? I think Roy Thomas was on the top of his game toward the end of the first X-Men series. Darker tone? It wasn't any darker than any other super hero book. In fact, it ended with Professor Xavier coming back from the dead, which I don't think had ever been done before (though it's being done now, even as we speak).

Or are you talking about Giant-Size X-Men #1, the first book of the series on which Claremont was not the author? But I think Len Wein did a masterful job on the writing, and again, I don't think it was particularly dark.

I guess it's possible that you are talking about the occasional appearances of the X-Men during the years before Giant-Size X-Men #1. But again, I don't remember anything particularly juvenile about the writing or dark about the stories. (I remember an X-Men versus Avengers story in the Avengers and a Secret Empire story where the X-Men were getting kidnapped by the Secret Empire, in a number of different books. And, of course, the Beast solo series.
    Pretty standard stuff.)

Sandy Hausler

Just for the record, I am a lover of the original X-Men, but I thought the new team (1975, not so new anymore) was great. I think that after the Xavier's Dream story the writing became more spotty. (But there are periods during the original run that were mediocre as well.) All my opinion, of course.

Sandy Hausler

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    I have always heard there were a lot of people upset when Chris Claremont took over the X-Men and brought in the All New and Different X-Men and diversified the X-Men but I had only seen one or two letters in the pages. And assumed it was a minority. However, people have told me that there was an enormous amount of anger when the O5 was sidelined and I always found that hard to believe given that Claremont saved the franchise.

Anyway I came across this little gem and thought I would share for those who haven't seen it. Sounds on par to a message you'd see on the internet these days.
    To be fair - it happened in GSX#1 and UXM #94. Kurt kept going till UXM #138 - and if books were monthly, that's over three years.

I mean, I'd disagree. I think the UXM was at it's best during this time (I think UXM began to descend into sloppiness just after UXM #250... it started to descend into less character and more action... and then post UXM #300 or so... it's a blur... nothing is memorable to me)... but I collected almost to the end. I ramble about it here: http://comicreliefpodcast.com/archives/302
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

Chris-chan of X-fans Maestroneto's Avatar