Amazing Member

Default Understanding AvX/Messiah Complex

So I was reading the Bendis avengers run and read the whole thing including avx. Being as I am familiar with the x men but haven’t read any of their comics outside of grant Morrison and joss wheedon I was intrigued by the feud between cyclops and professor x. I tried going back (I have marvel unlimited) and reading messiah complex as a starting point to work up to this and see why this feud had occurred. However I have no idea what is going on in messiah complex. What is the backstory? Why are gambit and rogue bad guys? Who are the marauders? And also would I be better off starting somewhere else to see the back story on cyclops vs professor x? And if so where? Thanks in advance...because I am so confused lol

All-New Member

It should make sense if you read House of M and Blinded by the Light

There were other stories leading up to their changed relationship, but X-Men Deadly Genesis was basically the final straw Scott had for Xavier. I never want that forgiven.

Spectacular Member

The Astonishing X-Men - Dangerous arc as well for enslaving the the shiar AI - Danger

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by zsizzle View Post
    So I was reading the Bendis avengers run and read the whole thing including avx. Being as I am familiar with the x men but haven’t read any of their comics outside of grant Morrison and joss wheedon I was intrigued by the feud between cyclops and professor x. I tried going back (I have marvel unlimited) and reading messiah complex as a starting point to work up to this and see why this feud had occurred. However I have no idea what is going on in messiah complex. What is the backstory? Why are gambit and rogue bad guys? Who are the marauders? And also would I be better off starting somewhere else to see the back story on cyclops vs professor x? And if so where? Thanks in advance...because I am so confused lol
    Rogue was kidnapped. She wasn't evil.

BANNED

Gambit was not a real bad guy. he was working with Sinister to protect Rogue at all cost. Rogue was in a coma due to strain 88
    The Marauders are Sinister minions, ordered by Sinister to capture baby Hope. They were also the major villains in the Mutant Massacre story line. another event ordered by Sinister to slaughter the Morlocks.
    If you want to get the full story, the best place to start in order:

House of M
    Endangered Species
    Blinded by Light
    Messiah Complex.
    Messiah War
    Second Coming

If you dont read new x-men b4 messiah complex ur gonna have a bad time. Or not. Any way AvX is garbage and is not worth reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Xelossik View Post
    Rogue was kidnapped. She wasn't evil.
    Rogue did nothing during the Messiah Complex.That's because Mike Carey made Rogue sleep through 90% of the story.
    Last edited by mikeb; 02-14-2018 at 03:31 AM.

It's been said but I would read Deadly Genesis before House of M, as that is when the X-Men truly try and separate themselves from Xavier.
    I’ve just published my very first work on ‘Archive of Our Own’, under the same name as here. It is the first chapter of ‘I Am My Own Best Friend ~ An Emma Frost Road Trip’, which focuses on Emma between the events of IvX and Secret Empire, including the White Queen going on a road trip, to try and have fun!

You can read the story here: https://archiveofourown.org/works/15795663

I hope you enjoy it as much I did writing it!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIGHT View Post
    If you dont read new x-men b4 messiah complex ur gonna have a bad time. Or not. Any way AvX is garbage and is not worth reading.
    Yeah I already read avx as part of avengers. Thought it was very meh, not that good, not that bad. And the way marvel unlimited is set up I read the 6 issues before messiah complex of all new x men which was where I got confused with rogue working with mystique who I thought was bad, etc.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sandfall View Post
    Gambit was not a real bad guy. he was working with Sinister to protect Rogue at all cost. Rogue was in a coma due to strain 88
    The Marauders are Sinister minions, ordered by Sinister to capture baby Hope. They were also the major villains in the Mutant Massacre story line. another event ordered by Sinister to slaughter the Morlocks.
    If you want to get the full story, the best place to start in order:

House of M
    Endangered Species
    Blinded by Light
    Messiah Complex.
    Messiah War
    Second Coming
    This helped a lot. Thanks!

AvX is full of demeaning obvious snark and sarcasm, so much in fact that it's hard to know if the grammatical errors in the pressing of the TPB are actually meant to be there.

There's a defined favoritism to the 'outsider' POVs of Spider Man and Nova who offer a personable view at the garbage ego driven melodramas that the iconic Avengers and X-Men act out. The first half anyway. Somehow when the Phoenix 5 take center stage things get, well, better looking at least...

I like Bendis' run and Aaron's too - post AvX. I understand why and how AvX happened. I read it. I read it twice. The second time it was nearly impossible to stomach.

I wouldn't skip it.

But I would...
    Last edited by sungila; 02-17-2018 at 01:16 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

BANNED

Yeah I already read avx as part of avengers. Thought it was very meh, not that good, not that bad. And the way marvel unlimited is set up I read the 6 issues before messiah complex of all new x men which was where I got confused with rogue working with mystique who I thought was bad, etc.
    X-men voted and allowed her to join. Rogue was against.