View Poll Results: Storm - darker skin/brown eyes/ kinky hair?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • No changes at all, please: lighter skin, blue eyes and straight hair for me!

44 37.61%
  • Darker skin only, please

32 27.35%
  • Brown eyes only, pleass

0 0%
  • Kinky hair only, please

1 0.85%
  • Darker skin and brown eyes only, please

0 0%
  • Darker skin and kinky hair only, please

18 15.38%
  • Brown eyes and kinky hair only, please

0 0%
  • All 3 changes, please: darker skin, brown eyes AND kinky hair for me!

10 8.55%
  • I would still like Storm equally, changes or no changes

7 5.98%
  • I would still dislike Storm equally, changes or no changes

2 1.71%
  • "Storm?" ... uh, which one was she in the BLACK PANTHER movie again?

3 2.56%
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I think there are many artists who work in comics that could do a better job at rendering different facial features among all their characters(many artists have only one template that everyone is based on)
    AB-SO-LU-TE-LY. I envy classic old characters as Mary Jane or J.J. Jameson, who are easily recognized under any artist. That's why I'm so pissed off when an artist draws a pug-nosed Kitty, or a straight-haired Kurt, or a tiny-eared Sam, or a blond-eyebrowed Longshot. Characters are (or should be) individual persons.

Pretty sure that's supposed to be neck rings like the Dora Milaje had in BP(just not rendered 100%). Blue-black skin refers to people whose melanin is so concentrated they reflect the sky blue:

I don't think it really applies to Ororo, correctly. She debuted with rich skin, but more in the red-brown spectrum like this guy:
    I've seen other pictures of the same model (Khoudia Diop) and this is just some artificial lighting for the shoot, maybe even a filter. She's dark skinned but nowhere else does she look remotely blue. And yes Storm was always more on the reddish-brown spectrum (not that the early coloring techniques allowed for much nuance).

Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    Excuse me, but imagine ole girl you posted with the white, platinum blonde mane and blue eyes?! Those features would pop, absolutely POP off of that skin tone. We are really talking about speaking otherworldly "Blue", The Bright Lady, Hadari Yao, the All-Goddess who Preserves the Balance of All Natural things into existence. This would set the Marvel universe on fire! And I'm here for every minute of it.
    Many artists already use dramatic shadows and contrasts on Storm from time to time. I think it would be a lot less effective if she always looked like that.
    Last edited by Lutecius; 02-18-2018 at 06:19 AM.

What do you all mean by “African features “? Not all black people look alike.

B5D18C98-06CD-4EEA-B158-CAD4B5BF042D.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post

That's my issue with this thread. Are Black people with narrow noses or thin lips "not black enough?" For what it's worth I prefer Storm to be drawn dark-skinned but everything else is fine, her hair and eyes are part of her mutation/magical lineage.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    That's my issue with this thread. Are Black people with narrow noses or thin lips "not black enough?" For what it's worth I prefer Storm to be drawn dark-skinned but everything else is fine, her hair and eyes are part of her mutation/magical lineage.
    It's not that they aren't black enough, so much as the bias with how those are the only black people media seems to wanna acknowledge or treat as somewhat attractive. Lighter skin, and narrow features are "right." And the darker skin, and more full features simply aren't the "standard of beauty." Least not in America. MAYBE darker skin is accepted, if everything else is straight and narrow enough, like Iman Bowie -who was outright complimented as looking like a beautiful white woman that was dipped in chocolate. She mentioned hearing that "compliment" from a white woman once.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 02-18-2018 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    MAYBE darker skin is ok, if everything else is straight and narrow enough, like Iman Bowie -who was outright complimented as looking like a beautiful white woman that was dipped in chocolate. She mentioned hearing that "compliment" from a white woman once.
    And how did she respond? She said, if anything, white women look like her!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    It's not that they aren't black enough, so much as the bias with how those are the only black people media seems to wanna acknowledge or treat as somewhat attractive. Lighter skin, and narrow features are "right." And the darker skin, and more full features simply aren't the "standard of beauty." Least not in America. MAYBE darker skin is accepted, if everything else is straight and narrow enough, like Iman Bowie -who was outright complimented as looking like a beautiful white woman that was dipped in chocolate. She mentioned hearing that "compliment" from a white woman once.
    This is a perfect explanation, but tbh Its hard to believe that it needs one. Either these people are trolling or wilfully ignorant, but I suppose it's the confusion I get when 2 ARRGO straight dudes meet up and work out who's dominant, or when there's ever more than 1 girl around

Ha! Had no idea she was so FIERCE!!
    GrindrStone(D)

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Good comeback lol She seems like a heck of a lady. Easy to see why Mr. Bowie wanted her. Beauty, confident, and fire.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    This is a perfect explanation, but tbh Its hard to believe that it needs one. Either these people are trolling or wilfully ignorant, but I suppose it's the confusion I get when 2 ARRGO straight dudes meet up and work out who's dominant, or when there's ever more than 1 girl around
    Some really are ignorant to the bias with black people. Only CERTAIN black people are considered attractive by mainstream standards, and usually it'll be the one that look more "white." aka have features that are more associated with white people.

Using real life examples

Black women like this are gonna get more media attention & promoted as beautiful
    MV5BMTYzMDczMjg4OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTIzMjgxOA@@._V1._SX640_SY810_.jpg
    th.jpg

than black women like this
    caa3924a180b63796a3f186361788631.jpg

The bias is clear, and it's obvious what's happening. Is there anything wrong with the top women? No. They're beautiful. However, all black women don't look like that, but those are the types that stay being promoted or featured. Meanwhile, even though the one of the bottom is beautiful, she's not gonna be featured as heavily because she's "too black" for the mainstream white tastes -too dark + full features is just too much ethic. Maybe one or the other. lol
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 02-18-2018 at 01:49 PM.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quoted these for truth.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    She's also canonically dark skinned.

I think Harlem has a problem with his eyes. Storm even has a lighter skin than him.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    I think Harlem has a problem with his eyes. Storm even has a lighter skin than him.
    That's a huge disconnect there; between the art and the writing. Kinda defeats its own point.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    Quoted these for truth.
    They all completely missed the point. Yes we know that not all Black People look alike. NO 2 people look alike. But it's not racist to say/recognize/represent common traits amongst a group of people. Not all Asian people have green eyes.But if 80% of the Asians you see in the media had green eyes it'd be a lil weird b
    Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Or the art just failed
    GrindrStone(D)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    They all completely missed the point. Yes we know that not all Black People look alike. NO 2 people look alike. But it's not racist to say/recognize/represent common traits amongst a group of people. Not all Asian people have green eyes.But if 80% of the Asians you see in the media had green eyes it'd be a lil weird b
    Or the art just failed
    I think you just won the thread!

Amazing Member

Her eyes and hair come from her heritance, as seen in New Mutants (Magic and Mirage meet Ororo's egyptian-era gazillion-times-grandmother, and she has the same blue eyes and white hair Storm has). She is not only a mutant, but has a magical heritance. That was seen in Magic
    Let her stay like she is. She was created like that. Respect the creators and authors that gave her life.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwentiel View Post
    Her eyes and hair come from her heritance, as seen in New Mutants (Magic and Mirage meet Ororo's egyptian-era gazillion-times-grandmother, and she has the same blue eyes and white hair Storm has). She is not only a mutant, but has a magical heritance. That was seen in Magic
    Let her stay like she is. She was created like that. Respect the creators and authors that gave her life.
    I wonder... because Storms look is soooo iconic. Why has a writer not introduced a story where she has Brow Eyes with Black Curly hair?
    GrindrStone(D)