BANNED

Default Property value in the DCU

Do you ever wonder how superheroes are able to afford certain places in certain cities on their income?

What DC city would you assume is the cheapest to live? What about the most expensive?

Which DC city is the most gentrified?

I would say Hub City is the cheapest to live and Metropolis, Gotham, or Bludhaven ranks up as the most expensive

Gotham could well be the most expensive, excluding cities like New York and Los Angeles...
    I dread to think how much buildings insurance costs people lol

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

In an ideal world Superman would do something about landlords and rent prices.

To be honest, a lot of times it pulls me right out of something when a character just is inexplicably well off. I liked Clark's crappy apartment in Morrison's AC. I like that Netflix's DAREDEVIL at least tries to explain how a guy like Matt Murdock could possibly swing rent in Manhattan.

I'd like to see that stuff touched on more. The modern American experience. How does one juggle a secret identity when living in Brooklyn with 5 roommates in an apartment built for 2. How does a young superhero get by on minimum wage in some fly over state, with an oppressive boss and no upward opportunities? Does that change their desire to aid society? Does it make them MORE heroic towards people who have nothing?

As for cities, I've always imagined STAR CITY as a weird Miami/Las Vegas hybrid. Neon signs everywhere, loud, colorful, humid- with Robin Hood leaping rooftop to rooftop.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 02-17-2018 at 06:34 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post

To be honest, a lot of times it pulls me right out of something when a character just is inexplicably well off. I liked Clark's crappy apartment in Morrison's AC. I like that Netflix's DAREDEVIL at least tries to explain how a guy like Matt Murdock could possibly swing rent in Manhattan.

I'd like to see that stuff touched on more. The modern American experience. How does one juggle a secret identity when living in Brooklyn with 5 roommates in an apartment built for 2. How does a young superhero get by on minimum wage in some fly over state, with an oppressive boss and no upward opportunities? Does that change their desire to aid society? Does it make them MORE heroic towards people who have nothing?

As for cities, I've always imagined STAR CITY as a weird Miami/Las Vegas hybrid. Neon signs everywhere, loud, colorful, humid- with Robin Hood leaping rooftop to rooftop.
    Yeah seriously.

Your vision of Star City is beautiful and I can dig it. I always pictured Gotham as this outrageously massive city with elevated railroads and giant stainless steel buildings and statues with a mixture of cyberpunk and gothic. Almost mythological.

I imagine Bludhaven as a more residential city with less skycrapers and probably a more younger artsier scene. Rent gets too high in Gotham so the college grads move to Bludhaven. But I can imagine all the property value going up after it got rebuilt and is now probably super expensive
    Last edited by Elmo; 05-15-2020 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post

Slight thread drift: It would've been an interesting reveal if Luthor bought up the land that was Coast City after it was destroyed. A nod to Hackman Luthor's penchant for real estate. Luthor could've easily bought it cheap and when the city was redeveloped the property value would've skyrocketed and he'd make another fortune. It would also give Luthor an extended reach into another city and the territory of another hero.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    Slight thread drift: It would've been an interesting reveal if Luthor bought up the land that was Coast City after it was destroyed. A nod to Hackman Luthor's penchant for real estate. Luthor could've easily bought it cheap and when the city was redeveloped made a mint. It would also give Luthor an extended reach into another city and the territory of another hero.
    Didn't Luthor try to do something like that with Gotham during No Man's Land?

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Didn't Luthor try to do something like that with Gotham during No Man's Land?
    Yeah, I recall hearing about that.