Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TruthAndJustice View Post
    In some alternate universe Steve Rude drew SUPERMAN or ACTION COMICS for at least 100 issues. I wish to god I lived in that universe!
    I don't know if I should recommend Thor: Godstorm or not. I think it's the best of his "heavily influenced but not entirely aping Kirby" work, but it might make you mad that the pages weren't used on Superman instead, haha. But I love that he at least did some stories, like Legends of the DC Universe #14.

Quote Originally Posted by TruthAndJustice View Post
    And Bob McLeod never gets the praise he deserves.
    Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I got Action #655 just today! Bob McLeod is a highly underrated artist and I'm surprised he hasn't done more.
    For years it seems like Superman attracted very talented creators who put substance over style, or the likes of Garcia-Lopez who basically mastered the balance of both. But man it feels impossible to really pick one over the other. McLeod was the first who came to mind when I thought of a definitive look for Superman, because I thought of this scene:

And completely change the mood. There are so many awesome inkers like Rubinstein and Janke, too.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I didn't address the goofy Clark issue. While I love watching Chris Reeve's portrayal, I find that whole Cowardly Clark thing to have been done to death. The George Reeves portrayal of Clark as competent and even brave but not suicidally brave is a good one and I far prefer the Amy Adams Lois who is genuinely smart and a great reporter and cuts through the whole secret identity subplot and for exactly the same reason: I loved it in it's time but I have no wish to rehash yet again the whole "Lois doesn't know who he is and loves Superman but despises Clark's assumed cowardice." No! Please! Not again!
    I always hated that Lois because it makes her seem superficial

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I always hated that Lois because it makes her seem superficial
    Yes, ever since I was old enough to understand romance, I've hated that. Lois loves Superman because he's oh so strong and he can fly but she despises Clark. Sure it's partly because he plays the coward. But, Clark aside, it makes Lois seem like a school girl just hitting puberty which I suppose even that was above the age range of the average comic reader when Superman started. She's just infatuated 'cause he's the handsomest guy in school and the big athlete. I much prefer the modern take where Clark and Lois have depth and reasons beyond the completely superficial for falling in love.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I didn't address the goofy Clark issue. While I love watching Chris Reeve's portrayal, I find that whole Cowardly Clark thing to have been done to death. The George Reeves portrayal of Clark as competent and even brave but not suicidally brave is a good one and I far prefer the Amy Adams Lois who is genuinely smart and a great reporter and cuts through the whole secret identity subplot and for exactly the same reason: I loved it in it's time but I have no wish to rehash yet again the whole "Lois doesn't know who he is and loves Superman but despises Clark's assumed cowardice." No! Please! Not again!
    Amy Adams plays it close to the vest of how Phyllis Coates, (boy could she scream) my favorite Lois, portrayed the character with a lot more "snap" Coates, along with George Reeve were great on screen!
    (Honorable mention Erica Durance whom, also played the character similarly)
    Last edited by jimmy; 02-20-2018 at 01:39 AM.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Six parts Bronze Age comics Superman and four parts Christopher Reeve movie Superman.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Last edited by Buried Alien; 02-20-2018 at 03:26 PM.
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Extraordinary Member

I know a lot of people are going to be upset, but I still prefer the triangle era Superman to all others.

Retired

I like the old Lois Lane stories.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I know a lot of people are going to be upset, but I still prefer the triangle era Superman to all others.
    ....just kidding, there are much worse later eras to prefer, so don't sweat it
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-20-2018 at 09:03 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Six parts Bronze Age comics Superman and three parts Christopher Reeve movie Superman.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    To simplify my long-winded explanation of my ideal Superman from earlier, yeah, something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    My definitive Superman doesn't exist on page or screen.

He only exists in my mind. And he's made up of bits and pieces of every version I've ever come across as well as ideas and concepts from other fictions, my own experiences and philosophy and knowledge, and some of my own ideas for the character that are, to my knowledge, original.

That said......if I absolutely had to pick just one version to call the definitive version? I'd go with Grant Morrison's. Mostly because that's a cheat; in Morrison's mind all his Superman work is its own fluid continuity and happened to one single guy.

GET. OUT. OF. MY. HEAD!

Can you read my mind?

Seriously, QFT. Perfectly said.

There is no definitive version of Superman that truly exists, because that means all the other versions are somehow imposters.

We all recreate Superman at least a little bit in our own brains.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

This thread got me feeling a "mah Superman" vibe. Although most of "them" are great. My local BAM has a massive rack of bargain priced trades. Like the whole of the New 52 books for $10, minus the first Action Comics volume. I just snatched up Secret Identity and Superman Adventures vol. 2 along with Jeff Smith's Shazam, all for like $22.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I really agree with both statements. When I first got into Superman, I was entirely too selective. Liked Schultz, Bates, Morrison, the live action versions, some of the cartoons, and that was it. Those two things really didn't appeal to me until I read and read and watched more stuff for a fresh, big picture. The 86-99 blog was a huge help, too. Now I see the definitive Superman and Lois as the post crisis versions where they had friends and personal lives, while I'm also very much into the many spin-offs.

Retired

When we did Milton's PARDISE LOST in my English Lit class at university, the prof made a point that the character of Jesus is boring--because he's too perfect and has no flaws--so it's Satan that emerges as the best realized character in the epic poem. He has all these flaws that Milton could exploit for drama.

I can understand why we want to believe that Superman/Clark is this noble soul endowed with great power, guided by the agrarian morality of Jonathan and Martha Kent, who always does the right thing and is self-sacrificing. Or that Lois Lane is a strong female prototype, the steadfast reporter rooting out corruption, of upstanding principles. And so on down the list of these sterling characters who have no flaws or weaknesses and are paragons of virtue.

But that's boring. It might be that the characters in the 1960s did the daft things they did purely for reasons of plot--simple chess pieces to be moved around for the sake of providing striking tableaus. However, you can intellectualize about them and their flawed nature and come up with psychological insights into the human condition. They all manipulate others, are sometimes devious, keep secrets--yet also are manipulated by others, plotted against by others, kept in the dark by others--and go through humiliating experiences. All of them--Superman, Lois, Jimmy, Perry, Lana. They all play and are played.

That's fascinating stuff. Sure it makes an ass of Lois Lane, sometimes--but she's in good company. And she got to be illustrated by Kurt Schaffenberger who elevated these humiliations to high art--there is no one better than Schaffenberger.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 02-20-2018 at 08:39 PM.

The other Kurt with a K, beside the triumvirate of; Boring, Plastino and Swan (aka the The Father, Son, and Holy Ghost) Schaffenberger just might be the forth head on the Mt. Rushmore of Superman artist, this side of Jim Mooney.

John Milton's Paradise Lost, every time think about that novel and it's juxtaposition of good and evil and contemplating and giving credence to the phrase of "it's better to reign in hell, than serve in Heaven".

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    That makes the two of us. I have not read much. Very few of them. As a cartoon like story where i don't expect anything vaguely realistic its good comedy. Kind of like i enjoy Teen Titans Go! once in a while. Except that the likes of Lois, Clark, Jimmy and all have something of a character.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-21-2018 at 07:17 AM.

For young adult/rookie Superman Max Landis's American Alien is the pick for me.

All other eras/aspects are up in the air.