Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Amazons and Wakandans (SPOILERS if you haven't seen Black Panther)

Spoilers for Black Panther, turn back now if you don't want to know aspects of the film or have the discussion!

First off, I loved the movie! So excellent in many, many, many aspects and respects.

Secondly, I'll admit to getting kind of jealous of all the Wakandan technology featured, when my preferred take on the Amazons has them constructing invisible robot planes, Purple Rays, and mental radios along with other tech achievements.

Storytelling-wise and Wonder Woman mythos-wise it feels like a lost opportunity, despite the fact that it's been a long time since stories of the Amazons as being technologically advanced has been one of their main characteristics.

Is it just me? Anyone feel the same or strongly differently?

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

No, it isn't just you, I'm jealous since I saw the Black Panther trailer. I'm not really a fan of the "grounded" and "realistic" approach of the DCEU.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

It's not just you. And the annoying thing us that WB.didn't even have to go with advanced science for the Amazons to get the same effect as Wakanda got. Just give the Amazons crazy advanced and near-ubiquitous magic that enhances their lives in much the same way as the Wakandans.

I'll just never understand why DC/WB is so obsessed with keeping the Amazons locked in as a bunch of primitive savages who haven't taken one step away from the Bronze Age in some three thousand years.

I know, I know! "The Amazons didn't innovate because they didn't need to for three thousand years!" I call shenanigans. The Wakandans had no real need to innovate either: they were safe and armed with weapons better than anything anyone else had. The movie made it clear that Wakanda rarely, if ever, needed to fight, so where was THEIR drive to create newer, better weapons? To say nothing of all the other, nonviolent wonders that they also had.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    It's not just you. And the annoying thing us that WB.didn't even have to go with advanced science for the Amazons to get the same effect as Wakanda got. Just give the Amazons crazy advanced and near-ubiquitous magic that enhances their lives in much the same way as the Wakandans.

I'll just never understand why DC/WB is so obsessed with keeping the Amazons locked in as a bunch of primitive savages who haven't taken one step away from the Bronze Age in some three thousand years.

I know, I know! "The Amazons didn't innovate because they didn't need to for three thousand years!" I call shenanigans. The Wakandans had no real need to innovate either: they were safe and armed with weapons better than anything anyone else had. The movie made it clear that Wakanda rarely, if ever, needed to fight, so where was THEIR drive to create newer, better weapons? To say nothing of all the other, nonviolent wonders that they also had.
    Yeah, that take always leaves me puzzled because it doesn't account for the Amazons' intellectual, scientific, etc. curiosity.

The movie made it clear that Wakanda rarely, if ever, needed to fight, so where was THEIR drive to create newer, better weapons? To say nothing of all the other, nonviolent wonders that they also had.
    Like Shuri said "Just because something works, doesn't mean it can't be improved upon." They both should be technological marvels of their universes. DC missed this completely. (Which isn't surprising because they have no clue what to do with Wonder Woman or her world....but thats another topic I suppose.)
    Richard Alexander

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

I just came back from the movie and I totally agree. What a wasted opportunity. Now, there's no point in revealing her invisible jet when we've seen flying aircrafts in avengers and Wakanda with stealth capabilities.

When I saw that purple heart shaped plant that restored strength, I couldn't help but think of the purple healing ray. I also liked the different tribal aspects explored in Wakanda that I think Themysciran society would benefit from.

I think Black Panther did a very good job balancing traditional/technological aspects of their society. I don't see why Themyscira can't have that too.

Oh, and General Okoye (can't spell her name) kicked so much butt. The Dora Milaje are like Wakanda's Amazons. I'd like something more done with the bana as well.

Incredible Member

I'm quite disappointed with the depiction of the Amazons to date in the DCEU. I understand that there are story limitations, but some of their actions and depictions are aggravating.

The Amazons were created to help stop the spread of Ares' evil influence on humans. They learn of Ares' influence in World War 1 and ... decide to do nothing, although Hippolyta does allow Diana to leave the island. Sure, Diana is the "god killer", but why send her out on the mission alone? Isn't it the Amazons sacred duty to protect the world? When do they do that? Is protecting the Mother Box, as seen in Justice League, their actual sacred duty? Is that why they couldn't leave Themyscira to help Diana battle Ares in WW1?

I was disappointed by the Amazons as depicted in the "Wonder Woman" film because it appeared as though they'd barely made any advancements in any areas since the time of their creation thousands of years ago. They were only depicted at excelling at "ancient" battle, nothing to indicate any great interest or skill in farming, scientific innovation, medicine, art, literature, architecture, etc. I understand that they wanted to depicted the Amazons as living "at one with nature" and that Diana clearly had a broad education given her knowledge of languages, chemistry, literature, etc. But, they didn't seem to apply any of that knowledge in their day to day life.

I was significantly disappointed by the Amazons as depicted in the present day scenes in "Justice League". They had access to the technology brought to Themyscira by the Germans, including guns and the remains of the ship which was wrecked on their reef. But, instead of researching, reverse engineering and improving that technology to ensure that they could defeat any future, modern threats they just held onto their bows and arrows. We're meant to believe that guarding the Mother Box was a critical role for the Amazons, but they don't even try to use any guns or similar technology to stop Steppenwolf. Their armour also lost a few key pieces in the ensuing years, despite their knowledge that their prior armour wasn't bulletproof and therefore actually needed improving not removal.

I don't understand why the Amazons have to be depicted as such an insular, primitive society which apparently posses great knowledge, intelligence and skills, but does nothing with those things.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that Diana returns to Themyscira in a future film and it's revealed that the Amazons fished Steve Trevor's plane out of the ocean, reverse engineered it and built a highly advanced, invisible jet for use by Diana to come and go. It wouldn't be terrible if they improved their armour (and gave Diana some new armour which protected her upper torso) and perhaps came up with some new weapons, whether magical or technological, to face "modern" threats.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    Oh, and General Okoye (can't spell her name) kicked so much butt.
    You spelled it perfectly. She was my fave character in the entire film.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    I just came back from the movie and I totally agree. What a wasted opportunity. Now, there's no point in revealing her invisible jet when we've seen flying aircrafts in avengers and Wakanda with stealth capabilities.

When I saw that purple heart shaped plant that restored strength, I couldn't help but think of the purple healing ray. I also liked the different tribal aspects explored in Wakanda that I think Themysciran society would benefit from.

I think Black Panther did a very good job balancing traditional/technological aspects of their society. I don't see why Themyscira can't have that too.

Oh, and General Okoye (can't spell her name) kicked so much butt. The Dora Milaje are like Wakanda's Amazons. I'd like something more done with the bana as well.
    The Amazons might need planes to fly but Wonder Woman does not which would render it useless unless she gifts a plane to Steve or something.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

It's because they're women and blatant sexism. They can't bear to see a society of strong, intelligent and independent women rule and conquer for themselves. DC has been holding back WW for decades, and I have come to the conclusion that they have no shame in doing so. Patty Jenkins "apparently" read the Golden Age WW, the Perez reboot and New 52 versions of Wonder Woman but did she really though? Because I didn't really see any of that portrayed coherently in the movie. It just seemed like they pulled something out of their asses. Just look at the setting of the movie. World War 1? Why? That's not even Diana's origin. I don't know about you all, but I'm sick and tired of DC treating my favorite characters like crap all the time. Especially since we never had a WW live-action movie before, this could've been the real deal.... but it wasn't. I know some people may have liked the movie for what it is, which is totally okay, but that doesn't mean other people have to like it. Especially hardcore fans who actually know the characters they like and how they should be portrayed. DC missed so many opportunities, its aggravating. The Black Panther movie completely blew WW out of the water. Why? Because they stuck to the source material. WW did not. And I will never get tired of saying this because they ruined one of my favorite characters. The DCEU sucks.

I mean why can’t have the tech for simply the fact they never know if war might come. They might live in paradise but just to be safe. If they have the doom gate they also want to stop the monsters. For example, the guns in Earth One. We see in Marston’s yes they use swords but still have guns for sport. We can still have that. The guns are last resort and for the doomgate. Things like planes and other things like the scooters for fun.

Yeah, DC uses mythology as a backdrop. what's the most significant thing that happened in Themiscyra in the myths? Hercules ravishing Hippolyta and stealing her girdle....

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Spoilers for Black Panther, turn back now if you don't want to know aspects of the film or have the discussion!

First off, I loved the movie! So excellent in many, many, many aspects and respects.

Secondly, I'll admit to getting kind of jealous of all the Wakandan technology featured, when my preferred take on the Amazons has them constructing invisible robot planes, Purple Rays, and mental radios along with other tech achievements.

Storytelling-wise and Wonder Woman mythos-wise it feels like a lost opportunity, despite the fact that it's been a long time since stories of the Amazons as being technologically advanced has been one of their main characteristics.

Is it just me? Anyone feel the same or strongly differently?
    Watching the movie I immediately thought the same thing - this is what we could have been seeing on Themyscira.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Having advanced tech as away to keep the creatures, beings, and monsters behind Doom's Doorway is one great idea for the reason they'd have advanced - love it!

I'm still down for some advanced tech as it relates to transportation, communications, architecture, fashion, medicine, and other applications though.
    True. Like the scooters or the invisible jets on Earth One.

Diana can still be a fish out of water due to the fact our tech doesn't work the same and many other things.Maybe like a wrap portal. If you watch Steven Universe. They are kind of Star Trek-like portals. That they beam you and take you where you need to go has long had it's connected to another one. Well, the purple can be used due to the chaos the dark magic that comes from it. Maybe even when it open the dark magic still causes harms. If you want to connect two different eras Marston's berserk mode could come from Perez's doom doorway. Just give it a new name.

The irony of it all... considering the Amazons did futuristic tech/magic/seclusion first.

Leave it to DC and DCEU to portray the Amazons as being less advanced in 2018 than they were when introduced 75 years ago.
    Last edited by Largo161; 02-20-2018 at 08:16 PM.