Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

I also felt like BP solved what was considered an issue in the WW mythos when it came to the mantle of Wonder Woman. If her powers dwarf her sister amazons, then you temporarily disable them so she can fight fairly with the others. Makes me kind of wish the contest was in the movie.

I liked the way rebirth did. That yes she is a demi-god but it didn't awake until after she won the contest. I always felt that was better. She isn't born with the gifts but wins them fair and square.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

This thread reminded me what Ben Shapiro said about the all-female Lord of the Flies remake, he said that if a bunch of girls were stranded on an island the'd form a circle and talk about their feelings which I guess is what the Amazons been doing all these years

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    I understand your point, but the Amazons seemed to believe that one of their main purposes, if not their main purpose, in (immortal) life was to stop Ares. They seemed to spend a crazy amount of time training in weaponry, fighting skills and ancient warfare. I don’t know why they wouldn’t try to improve their weapons and armour over those thousands of years. If they were preparing for Ares’ return to the world, surely they would anticipate that he would take full advantage of modern technologies.
    part of it was that they were banking it all on the god killer. I can see why that would bother people. I kind of did a double take at how well the german soldiers did against the amazons. but I think the implication was that guns and other tech weren't going to do the job when Ares eventually reared his head. it was all going to come down to Diana meeting him in armed combat. you spend a lot of time introducing tech, you then have to show that tech being used. even in Black Panther they had to work around wakanda having all of that formidable tech by putting them in situations w/o it. Diana's natural power presented itself a lot like Black Panther's man made powers (that wide range power blast that they overused in the final fight, for instance). I guess that they could have given all of the amazons sci fi weaponry. but it wouldn't have looked any cooler than them shooting arrows, in the long run. it certainly wouldn't have contrasted them with the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    The irony of it all... considering the Amazons did futuristic tech/magic/seclusion first.

Leave it to DC and DCEU to portray the Amazons as being less advanced in 2018 than they were when introduced 75 years ago.
    You mean like how they've been portrayed in the comics since the 80s?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Except the Amazons had caught up with and indeed surpassed most of the rest of the world by the time Infinite Crisis rolled around. Then they were regressed again, and then even further back following Flashpoint.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    I just came back from the movie and I totally agree. What a wasted opportunity. Now, there's no point in revealing her invisible jet when we've seen flying aircrafts in avengers and Wakanda with stealth capabilities.

When I saw that purple heart shaped plant that restored strength, I couldn't help but think of the purple healing ray. I also liked the different tribal aspects explored in Wakanda that I think Themysciran society would benefit from.

I think Black Panther did a very good job balancing traditional/technological aspects of their society. I don't see why Themyscira can't have that too.

Oh, and General Okoye (can't spell her name) kicked so much butt. The Dora Milaje are like Wakanda's Amazons. I'd like something more done with the bana as well.
    The Amazons might need planes to fly but Wonder Woman does not which would render it useless unless she gifts a plane to Steve or something.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Except the Amazons had caught up with and indeed surpassed most of the rest of the world by the time Infinite Crisis rolled around. Then they were regressed again, and then even further back following Flashpoint.
    Huh never knew the Amazons of Post-Crisis had actually advanced in technology.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    This is correct. They had a ton of tech with the Lansiarian device and the Purple Ray. They were on their way back to the way it was supposed be.
    Richard Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    As has been pointed out up thread, they haven’t been consistently portrayed that way since the eighties. But even if that were the case, I don’t really see how it diminishes my point. Marston created a society of women who’d surpassed Man’s World.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    IIRC, the Banas brought modern weaponry to Themyscira and the sentient Wonder Dome became the invisible jet and eventually merged with island and became structures and other modes of transportation. That didn't feel so much like Amazon ingenuity and tech development to me.

Jimenez showed Diana analyzing data in the Watchtower for a cure to a disease in his run - which showed she was adept in science and biology.

Morrison used the Purple Ray in the conclusion to his Justice League run, but it wasn't really shown how the Amazons developed it and how they used it.

Those are some of the ways tech existed, that I can remember, but tech development, experimentation, and proficiency were never really a huge part of Perez's Themysciran Amazons. (Unless I'm really forgetting something.)

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    IIRC, the Banas brought modern weaponry to Themyscira and the sentient Wonder Dome became the invisible jet and eventually merged with island and became structures and other modes of transportation. That didn't feel so much like Amazon ingenuity and tech development to me.

Jimenez showed Diana analyzing data in the Watchtower for a cure to a disease in his run - which showed she was adept in science and biology.

Morrison used the Purple Ray in the conclusion to his Justice League run, but it wasn't really shown how the Amazons developed it and how they used it.

Those are some of the ways tech existed, that I can remember, but tech development, experimentation, and proficiency were never really a huge part of Perez's Themysciran Amazons. (Unless I'm really forgetting something.)
    Yes, I agree this is a distinction worth noting.

As has been pointed out up thread, they haven’t been consistently portrayed that way since the eighties. But even if that were the case, I don’t really see how it diminishes my point. Marston created a society of women who’d surpassed Man’s World.
    Yeah, the consistency thing is really the point, along with Marston's vision of the Amazons being technologically advanced and what that meant about them as a society.

I've posted this in other discussions, but I'm a proponent of the Amazons having magic too (just like it exists in Patriarch's World) right alongside, and not at the exclusion of, tech and STEM.

Magic spheres and spell casting can coexist with Purple Rays and aeronautics labs in Paradise, depending where your skills and interests lie as an Amazon. (Shout out to all the amazing Amazon farmers, shopkeepers, fashion designers, artists, chefs, actors, and pegusi and kanga trainers too!)

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I've posted this in other discussions, but I'm a proponent of the Amazons having magic too (just like it exists in Patriarch's World) right alongside, and not at the exclusion of, tech and STEM.

Magic spheres and spell casting can coexist with Purple Rays and aeronautics labs in Paradise, depending where your skills and interests lie as an Amazon. (Shout out to all the amazing Amazon farmers, shopkeepers, fashion designers, artists, chefs, actors, and pegusi and kanga trainers too!)
    Yes...isn’t this how Morrison portrayed Themyscira with his Earth One? It was the only thing I really liked about the book.

Yes...isn’t this how Morrison portrayed Themyscira with his Earth One? It was the only thing I really liked about the book.
    Yes, he did and was glad to see it.