Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Default Detail question to people who disliked Homecoming...

I’ve seen some annoyance that some people have over the scene where Peter’s struggling to maneuver in a suburban environment, and I have a question:

Why is this a problem? Wouldn’t it make sense that someone who is used to utilizing skyscrapers wouldn’t know how to adapt to an environment with different conditions? That’s not overall competence, it’s just environmental experience.

This isn’t a sarcastic question; I’m really interested to hear your thoughts.

BANNED

I didn't like Spider-man Homecoming because it felt more like Iron Man JR, with a bit of Spider-man sprinkled in it.

I’ve seen some annoyance that some people have over the scene where Peter’s struggling to maneuver in a suburban environment, and I have a question:

Why is this a problem? Wouldn’t it make sense that someone who is used to utilizing skyscrapers wouldn’t know how to adapt to an environment with different conditions? That’s not overall competence, it’s just environmental experience.
    It's not a problem. Some people are just nitpicking. We've seen the same kind of stuff playout when Spider-man has left the city in the comics on quite a few occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post

This isn’t a sarcastic question; I’m really interested to hear your thoughts.
    Do you think this reason alone is why people dislike the movie?
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    You took the words right off my typing fingers. There are many other reasons people dislike this movie, not saying I am one of those people.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    No, but I’ve seen explanations for other complaints, which i have varying levels of agreement on. I’m just curious about this one in particular.

No, but I’ve seen explanations for other complaints, which i have varying levels of agreement on. I’m just curious about this one in particular.
    Probably because it makes Spidey look like a dumbass amateur, I know it happened at least once in ASM, but that was dumb there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Probably because it makes Spidey look like a dumbass amateur, I know it happened at least once in ASM, but that was dumb there too.
    But why does it make him look dumb? He’s not used to that environment; that’s to be expected. Even a well trained sailor would be lost on how to man an aircraft, so to speak.

But why does it make him look dumb? He’s not used to that environment; that’s to be expected. Even a well trained sailor would be lost on how to man an aircraft, so to speak.
    It's not like he only does web swinging as a way of transportation, so him wondering what to do when he can't web swing makes it look like he forgot he has legs, hence, he looks like a dumbass.

At the very least Homecoming Spidey did it better than comics Spidey in that occasion I saw lol.

for me, the ideal Spider-man movie would be Tom Holland taking Tobey Maguire's spot in the latter's version of marvel new York (and all of the vibrant covers and music score that come w/ it). they've failed to recapture the feeling of that first movie (for me), so far. and I don't think that they can and have it fit into the already established Marvel Cinematic Universe. i'll still see whatever sequel they come up with. Tom's likable enough.

but, since you mentioned it, one thing that the Maguire movies got right was the look of his swinging. the way that he moved through the city was hypnotic. I don't see it in the other movies.

Let me rephrase, since I apparently wasn’t clear enough.

How would you set up such a situation, like a smaller town or suburb, taking into account that he won’t be able to move like he does in the city?

looking at some comparison shots, I think I know what the issue is. everytime they showcased Garfield Spider-man's swinging or jumping, they used slow motion. his movements were kind of herky jerky that drew attention to the CGI, as well. in the Raimi films, the movements were fluid; to match the score. they weren't so much trying to recapture still images from the comic. the latest is, at least, a step in the right direction. but, yeah, the CGI is obvious in spots.

How would you set up such a situation, like a smaller town or suburb, taking into account that he won’t be able to move like he does in the city?
    have him hitch a ride on a car? :shrugs:
    I didn't mind the suburbs scene. I don't think that it added much, though.

Use trees if there are enough of them. Otherwise, have him snag a ride with a bus or a transport truck perhaps.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Use trees if there are enough of them. Otherwise, have him snag a ride with a bus or a transport truck perhaps.
    As someone who had lived in small towns their whole life, busses and transport trucks don’t come through (or the latter only goes to the one grocery store, and even those are rare). Trees also wouldn’t be a good substitute, as the are actually smaller than the houses and tend to be irregularly planted.

His option, then, would be civilian cars, and I’m not sure how happy the drivers would be.