Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What Lesser-Tier Character Would You Like To See In Superman's Supporting Cast?

Ever read some smaller superhero/villain/any-other-character outside of Superman's books and thought "He/she would be pretty cool in Metropolis?" Post it here.

Obviously I had one, hence even making the thread. Scandal Savage. Why? One, she is one of the few characters whom, to my knowledge hasn't been seen since Flashpoint and I miss her a lot. Two, Superman has some history with Vandal Savage, so his daughter being in Superman's orbit could make for an interesting dynamic, coupled with the fact that she is an anti-heroine on her best day, and I love seeing characters like that and Superman trying to co-exist. Third? I think she'd make an awesome love interest for Maggie Sawyer. Again, being oftentimes on the wrong side of the law, and Maggie being in law enforcement, there could be a really cool build up there in the vein of Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle. The law-woman and the woman outside the law being unavoidably drawn to one another.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-19-2018 at 07:22 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

I miss the Silver/Bronze Age World's Finest. But the modern Batman while he isn't as stand-offish now still doesn't really feel like someone to have a coffee at the local diner with Clark anymore. And any relationship with Diana will always carry an undertone of romance- even if neither character is interested in that. The Trinity can be friends and will always at the core have each other's back, but I think Superman really needs some sort of heroic friendship where they are just buddies in the old Hal/Barry or Hal/Oliver sense.

So I'd love to see Dick Grayson incorporated into Metropolis. Let him transfer to the MPD and work the Hobs Bay/Suicide Slum beat. He can show up as needed in Superman's book in either ID or writers can have him unavailable because of some Bat/Titans case if they need him off the board. But Dick would fill the sort of role that gives Clark a friendly superhero ear, a non-super mentor for Jon (and a counter-balance for Damian's influence ). He is also the sort of character you could see being able to step up to the challenge of keeping Metropolis in hand when Clark is away. Plus Lois would have some back-up if needed on those "Superman is unavailable" occasions if she is doing dangerous investigative reporting.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Hmmm... can we take Strife? I don't think WW is using her anymore. Let's also welcome back Lar Gand and Vril Dox II, even if they don't recognize the Super titles as home.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post

Obviously I had one, hence even making the thread. Scandal Savage. Why? One, she is one of the few characters whom, to my knowledge hasn't been seen since Flashpoint and I miss her a lot.
    She appeared in the Nu52 Secret Six series. She wasn't part of the main cast in this incarnation, but she did pop up a number of times and we got to see that this version of her did indeed marry Liana and Knockout.

Nightwing, as Jon Clark already said. I'd love to set Dick up in Suicide Slum. It makes a lot of sense, the Slum seems like a great place for Nightwing as it mixes the grit of Gotham with the fantastic sci-fi of Metropolis, and Dick is basically extended family for the Kents anyway. And we've seen other heroes set up shop in that part of town (Gangbuster, Steel) without it completely throwing the balance of power off.

Atom. I'm in no rush to see Ivy Town go the way of Gateway City, but Ray and Ryan at a Metropolis college seems fitting, and it's unlikely that the Atom will be carrying his own book anytime soon. And Atom is a somewhat non-traditional kind of hero; you're not going to expect him to show up and help fight Metallo, but you do expect him to ask you to give him a hand in the microverse, which opens up a lot of interesting doors for Clark. I think the Atoms being in Metropolis benefits everybody, honestly.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Nightwing, as Jon Clark already said. I'd love to set Dick up in Suicide Slum. It makes a lot of sense, the Slum seems like a great place for Nightwing as it mixes the grit of Gotham with the fantastic sci-fi of Metropolis, and Dick is basically extended family for the Kents anyway. And we've seen other heroes set up shop in that part of town (Gangbuster, Steel) without it completely throwing the balance of power off.
    Then who would there be to protect Blüdhaven?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    An interesting Question
    Maybe a former Gotham cop?

Does Bludhaven even need protecting if Nightwing isn't in it? It sort of ceases to exist unless he is physically in the city as he is the only one there driving any story. He can leave for a while and nothing would have changed.

Inspector Henderson, always like Clark's interaction with Bill on the TV show!

BANNED

I think Argent could still be a pretty good fit in Metropolis, with or without her old teammates.

I'd still love to see a return of the idea of Tim and Cass as 'Bludhaven's Dynamic Duo'. Such a great dynamic that we barely got to see any of before it was taken away.

Azreal. Cass Cain. Tim Drake. Batwing. The Signal. The Question. The Huntress. Spoiler. Gotham Girl.

There are so many "extra" vigilantes running around Gotham Bruce could send a couple to Bludhaven and not even miss them.

Or, if you wanted to be truly daring with the idea, have Dick finish his work in Bludhaven. He takes down Blockbuster, the Judge, the corrupt jackasses who ruin the cities they live in for everyone else. Nightwing actually wins and cleans the city up. He then has no reason to stay and can move on.

Of course, that means Dick loses his own city......but he can always go back when he hears about a new threat that has come up in his absence.

As much as I want to see Nightwing in Suicide Slum, I dont think it would work long-term. A couple years, sure. Past that? I dunno if it could be sustained properly. But it'd be fun to see him in Superman's orbit for a while, and he can always go back home when it's over, and Bludhaven can always find new threats to bring him back, even if he brought peace to the city once before.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

J. Wilbur Wolfingham

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    Inspector Henderson, always like Clark's interaction with Bill on the TV show!
    Seconded!

Bill Henderson should be a fixture in Metropolis.

I'd like to see Morgan Edge buying up parts of the city. Colin Thornton having his own highly popular news show. Glorious Godfrey.

Chloe Sullivan as a close friend of Clark's.

A new take on Starfire as Superman's protege.

Adam Blake/Captain Comet (Morrison's Cap).

The Legion of Superheroes!
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 02-22-2018 at 10:46 PM.

Good stuff guys!

Also thanks Assam for the info on Scandal. I almost forgot there even was a New 52 version of Secret Six. I still like the idea though.

Right before Flashpoint, Kimiyo Dr. Light was also becoming a supporting cast member of the Superman line, and while it never got the chance to go anywhere, I liked the idea then and think it'd be cool to go to again.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post

I almost forgot there even was a New 52 version of Secret Six.
    I recommend you check it out. It's not in the same league as Simone's previous run, but it's still good and definitely one of the best things to come out of the Nu52.