Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is Roberto Dacosta's native language?

my assumption was Brazilian portuguese. but I haven't been able to find an incidence of him speaking the language.

Your assumption is correct. Most of the time they used the < > "*translated from Portuguese" annotations and I remember him calling a girl "menina" back in New Mutants but there are probably other examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Lutecius View Post
    Your assumption is correct. Most of the time they used the < > "*translated from Portuguese" annotations and I remember him calling a girl "menina" back in New Mutants but there are probably other examples.
    thanks! I didn't really have the time to go through my new mutants collection. image search just showed him shouting 'Madre de dios' a lot.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    thanks! I didn't really have the time to go through my new mutants collection. image search just showed him shouting 'Madre de dios' a lot.
    Common mistake. A lot of people think spanish is Brazil's native language, so stuff like that happens.

Wasn't he able to speak Askani at one point as well?

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lutecius View Post
    He also says "droga" a lot, which apparently is a word in many languages, but an interjection in Portuguese. I'll take other people's word that he would say Madre de Dios, but I genuinely don't remember that.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Common mistake. A lot of people think spanish is Brazil's native language, so stuff like that happens.
    Yeah - Spanish is MEXICO's.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

He's a Brazilian Portuguese speaker, however some writers have mistakenly had him speaking Spanish as well. But, since he was raised with wealth, it's not improbable for him to have learned Spanish since he also speaks English. And, yes, there was a time in X-Force that he could speak Askani.
    My debut novel Awakening - Book One of The Children of the Solstice Series: http://amzn.to/2xAbyid

"If you like sci-fi and the "everyday" superhero, this book is for you."

The second book Collision is out now: https://amzn.to/2FzkH1W

"The Children of the Solstice are Back!"

Total Geek Live is group effort by 4 Geeks giving you all the latest in geek news: https://bit.ly/2YoYrir

Quote Originally Posted by baltiroo View Post
    He's a Brazilian Portuguese speaker, however some writers have mistakenly had him speaking Spanish as well. But, since he was raised with wealth, it's not improbable for him to have learned Spanish since he also speaks English. And, yes, there was a time in X-Force that he could speak Askani.
    True. Brazil is also surrounded by Spanish speaking countries, so there are many Brazilians who speak Spanish as well as Portuguese, even though Portuguese is the official language of Brazil and it's clear that many early writers often assumed it was Spanish or confused it with Spanish.
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 02-20-2018 at 09:08 AM.

As a Brazilian, I can tell you it annoys me everytime he is shown speaking Spanish instead of Portuguese.

Although Brazilians can learn Spanish in school as much as we can learn English, you can bet that everytime a writer has Roberto speaking Spanish, is because of the wrong assumption that every latin american country speaks the same language.

It's pretty annoying too when a celebrity comes to Brazil and starts throwing Spanish sentences around in interviews and TV shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    True. Brazil is also surrounded by Spanish speaking countries, so there are many Brazilians who speak Spanish as well as Portuguese, even though Portuguese is the official language of Brazil and it's clear that many early writers often assumed it was Spanish or confused it with Spanish.
    "there are many Brazilians who speak Spanish"

Errr...Not really. They don't even teach Spanish at school or anything here.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    "there are many Brazilians who speak Spanish"

Errr...Not really. They don't even teach Spanish at school or anything here.
    Most of the Brazilians I have met and known were fluent in Spanish as well as Portuguese. Brazil is a huge country and is surrounded by Spanish speaking countries on all sides. Maybe they were from areas of Brazil that bordered Spanish speaking countries, but that's been my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    Most of the Brazilians I have met and known were fluent in Spanish as well as Portuguese. Brazil is a huge country and is surrounded by Spanish speaking countries on all sides. Maybe they were from areas of Brazil that bordered Spanish speaking countries, but that's been my experience.
    They were probably people who paid to learn Spanish. Public schools don't teach Spanish here, in most of the cases. So, I would say that the big majority of Brazilians just know a couple of words in Spanish.

Quote Originally Posted by Weather View Post
    They were probably people who paid to learn Spanish. Public schools don't teach Spanish here, in most of the cases. So, I would say that the big majority of Brazilians just know a couple of words in Spanish.
    Yeah, maybe they were well off and highly educated Brazilians, like Roberto...LOL! But in any event, you could definitely tell in many of those old stories that the writers just got it wrong and assumed that Spanish is the most prevalent language in Brazil simply because it's a South American country. I think in the age of the internet, though, it's a lot easier for writers to do their homework and get things like that correct, so you don't see those types of glaring and offensive mistakes as often.

My friend is from Brazil. She doesn't know a lick of Spanish.