Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Chadwick Boseman just chews scenery - in a good way. He's almost a black Robert Downey Jr, in terms of how fun it is to watch him be T'Challa.
    Really? To me he gave one of the more understated performances in the movie--in a good way. Andy Serkis was chewing the scenery--also in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I'll see if I can dig up stuff later this week but back in 2011 to 2013 certain individuals on the internet thought the prospect of an Antman, Guardians of the Galaxy or Black Panther films were poor at best.

As for the expected box office. It's life time box office was expected by some to be between $520M and $680M and we see where it is now. So who knows
    I would put it at the higher end. Closer to 680 then 520. Audience response has been fantastic so far. If it continues its pace like this it would break the higher number too. I am noticing that so far experts come with high end projections. And it either matches it or goes beyond. Let us see how it performs from now on. There's hardly any competition. An advantage.

I'm curious to see what happens to Wrinkle. Surely, Disney was thinking of a baton pass between the two films, but Black Panther is performing well beyond their expectations and word of mouth on Wrinkle is mixed-positive. It's very possible that Black Panther swallows A Wrinkle in Time, and doesn't drop to the number two spot for another week. Once we get to March 16, 2018, Tomb Raider comes out, and while I don't expect that to be a big hit, I suspect Black Panther will fall to the number two spot just due to attrition.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Really? To me he gave one of the more understated performances in the movie--in a good way. Andy Serkis was chewing the scenery--also in a good way.
    Yea Chadwicks performance wasnt as in your face as others but it's the one I appreciate the most. His calm and composed demeanor gave scenes where he lost his shit more impact. One of my favorite parts of the movie is when he says "Why didn't you just bring the boy?" Or something like that. This isn't a spoiler thread so I won't give any context but if you saw it you know who he was talking too and what about. The way he delivered that line came across as angry,disgusted, and heart broken all at the same time. It's all when he becomes his own man. That and when he yells at Forest Whittaker were powerful moments imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Serkis definitely was compelling every time he was on screen - which wasn't all that much. You're right that Boseman didn't oversell his part in a boisterous way, but I felt he managed to stand out in scenes that he was in. Boseman and Serkis only had one scene together, and that was arguably won by Serkis. But hey, BP got hit by a hand blaster.

Standing out in this movie was no small feat considering how many good acting performances it had - Angela Bassett, Lupita Nyong'o, Danai Gurira and Winston Duke for instance. All of those folks have the ability to completely steal a scene.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Black Panther is at ~$748mWW after yesterday. If you had asked me a year ago, where I hoped the film would end up, I'd have said that I just wanted it to beat Doctor Strange. I never dared to dream it'd be this well received.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...r-even-higher/

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Standing out in this movie was no small feat considering how many good acting performances it had - Angela Bassett, Lupita Nyong'o, Danai Gurira and Winston Duke for instance. All of those folks have the ability to completely steal a scene.
    Agree...it took a second viewing of the film for me to really appreciate Boseman.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I'll see if I can dig up stuff later this week but back in 2011 to 2013 certain individuals on the internet thought the prospect of an Antman, Guardians of the Galaxy or Black Panther films were poor at best.

As for the expected box office. It's life time box office was expected by some to be between $520M and $680M and we see where it is now. So who knows
    According to some this was the movie that was going to destroy Marvel Studios.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    According to some this was the movie that was going to destroy Marvel Studios.
    Pffffft, they’re all eating crow now. All of them. And don’t forget they said the same about Guardians.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Yea Chadwicks performance wasnt as in your face as others but it's the one I appreciate the most. His calm and composed demeanor gave scenes where he lost his shit more impact. One of my favorite parts of the movie is when he says "Why didn't you just bring the boy?" Or something like that. This isn't a spoiler thread so I won't give any context but if you saw it you know who he was talking too and what about. The way he delivered that line came across as angry,disgusted, and heart broken all at the same time. It's all when he becomes his own man. That and when he yells at Forest Whittaker were powerful moments imo.
    That was when he became The Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Pffffft, they’re all eating crow now. All of them. And don’t forget they said the same about Guardians.
    And antman and Dr Starnge and every movie that wasn't a core Avenger character. There's always ppl saying this is the one that's gonna flop for marvel and take them down. Negativity sells, doesn't matter if it's the MCU or DCEU. The DCEU is just an easier target

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    And antman and Dr Starnge and every movie that wasn't a core Avenger character. There's always ppl saying this is the one that's gonna flop for marvel and take them down. Negativity sells, doesn't matter if it's the MCU or DCEU. The DCEU is just an easier target
    Yep. I think the floor for the MCU is 200m domestic and 500m worldwide until they make a bomb (EDIT: And even then, I don't think it will hurt the overall franchise unless it's offensively bad). For the DCEU, it may be the same, but we'll have to see how Aquaman does. On one hand, the DCEU has been perceived mixed-poor as a whole, but Aquaman will theoretically provide exciting visuals and will be over a year after the last release, so people may be more willing to give it a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0z9_0OolUU
    Why are so many non-Blacks mad about Blacks being excited over Black Panther? I don't understand the hate.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanStar View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0z9_0OolUU
    Why are so many non-Blacks mad about Blacks being excited over Black Panther? I don't understand the hate.
    "Dontttt take mah supaheroZZzz!!!one11!"
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Is there anything left to say about how well Black Panther is doing? The superlatives are all but exhausted.

If the estimations are close, BP could become the second fastest to $500, behind The Force Awakens. Fingers crossed that it does.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/