Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 LastLast
    BANNED

Kind of awesomely interesting it's still tracking to do better than Avatar. I don't expect it to hold, but still

Capture.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Kind of awesomely interesting it's still tracking to do better than Avatar. I don't expect it to hold, but still

Capture.jpg
    Yeah, it's crazy. It's been pretty consistently beating the Avengers' daily numbers. If Black Panther all of a sudden just matched Avengers' # every day for the rest of its run, it'd end up with a domestic total of $676,193,620. It'll be tough with so many movies entering theaters in the next few weeks, but it'll be fun to watch and see just where Black Panther ends up.

I saw this movie Monday night. My completely objective opinion is that it was a pretty good movie. It was the most visually stunning Marvel movie since Guardians of the Galaxy. It had a more engaging character-driven plot than even Winter Soldier. It really did hit on all cylinders, particularly with a morally-ambiguous villain in many respects, and a morally ambiguous hero in T'Chaka. The richness of the culture and civilization was stunning. It's the sort of movie that I want to put under Jodie Foster's nose and say "nyaa nyaa."

I am very pleased that, much like Wonder Woman, there is an entire area of humanity that can point to a movie and say "That is me. That is what I represent." But also like Wonder Woman, I personally felt something I can't really put my finger on as lacking. Well, that's not quite true. Wonder Woman had a terrible third act (and only a so-so second half) - a problem Black Panther certainly did not have. Black Panther was a new level of excellence for the genre throughout.

But all that said, I think I enjoyed Doctor Strange a little bit more. I'm not sure why. It's not a superior movie to Black Panther on any level. I just...enjoyed it more. It may be that I had the disadvantage of having to watch Black Panther in 3D. Many scenes left me anxious for the Blu-Ray so that I can see what they actually look like. It may also be that my theater's audio was not the best, and I had difficulty with the accents in places.
    I was nodding along enthusiastically until you prasied Doctor Strange. But hey, we all have our fragile darlings.

Cinema sound can kill these movies. For me Age of Ultron was almost ruined by the inability to hear a word RDJ said. The delivery was there but I could never catch the punchlines. AOU is well worth revisiting btw, it is full of subtext about birth and change that goes missing on a surface viewing. Being forced to watch the images and focus less on the words helped with that.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 03-22-2018 at 03:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    I am obviously in distinguished company of people Forbes disagree with. <wink>

This is a little like saying Star Wars was Hollywood's worst nightmare. Both eras consisting of a struggling industry suddenly given a huge and surprising injection of cash and habit changing tendency towards cinema.

It isn't as if The Fast and The Furious franchise hasn't been signalling that Hollywood have been leaving money on the table for years. In that respect all Hollywood has to do is be open to an already growing talent base in the industry around them, which is very different to 1977 when nobody was looking twice at genre movies apart from arthouse low budget science fiction.

Here's an idea, let's stop worshipping at the altar of J.J. Abrams or Michaeal Bay as if they somehow have a key to cinema.

BP will boost Avengers and I bet nobody even mentions that if Avengers does well.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 03-22-2018 at 03:06 AM.

Capture.jpg
    Thanks for these, they are very helpful. It looks like this will end up above Avengers and below Avatar. Perhaps a lot closer to Avatar than any of us would have guessed, especially as that line already compares very favourably to Avatar even if it tails off tomorrow. It would be interesting to map these lines with inflation worked into the totals.

Also the marketing budget for Avatar was phenomenal BP was presumably a lot lower, relying upon the public buzz and the goodwill and enthusiasm of the creators much more.

How does Last Jedi compare to these? (A movie I still haven't bothered to watch.)
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 03-22-2018 at 03:11 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I am obviously in distinguished company of people Forbes disagree with. <wink>

This is a little like saying Star Wars was Hollywood's worst nightmare. Both eras consisting of a struggling industry suddenly given a huge and surprising injection of cash and habit changing tendency towards cinema.

It isn't as if The Fast and The Furious franchise hasn't been signalling that Hollywood have been leaving money on the table for years. In that respect all Hollywood has to do is be open to an already growing talent base in the industry around them, which is very different to 1977 when nobody was looking twice at genre movies apart from arthouse low budget science fiction.

Here's an idea, let's stop worshipping at the altar of J.J. Abrams or Michaeal Bay as if they somehow have a key to cinema.

BP will boost Avengers and I bet nobody even mentions that if Avengers does well.
    To be fair, the Forbes article has gotten a lot of criticism for its hyperbolic headline. I'm not sure I buy the argument that other movies are hurt by BP's success, but it's come up before. There was an essay by William Goldman that discussed the "Home Alone" effect in the spring of 1991.

I saw this movie Monday night. My completely objective opinion is that it was a pretty good movie. It was the most visually stunning Marvel movie since Guardians of the Galaxy. It had a more engaging character-driven plot than even Winter Soldier. It really did hit on all cylinders, particularly with a morally-ambiguous villain in many respects, and a morally ambiguous hero in T'Chaka. The richness of the culture and civilization was stunning. It's the sort of movie that I want to put under Jodie Foster's nose and say "nyaa nyaa."

I am very pleased that, much like Wonder Woman, there is an entire area of humanity that can point to a movie and say "That is me. That is what I represent." But also like Wonder Woman, I personally felt something I can't really put my finger on as lacking. Well, that's not quite true. Wonder Woman had a terrible third act (and only a so-so second half) - a problem Black Panther certainly did not have. Black Panther was a new level of excellence for the genre throughout.

But all that said, I think I enjoyed Doctor Strange a little bit more. I'm not sure why. It's not a superior movie to Black Panther on any level. I just...enjoyed it more. It may be that I had the disadvantage of having to watch Black Panther in 3D. Many scenes left me anxious for the Blu-Ray so that I can see what they actually look like. It may also be that my theater's audio was not the best, and I had difficulty with the accents in places.
    Could just be your a bigger fan of Dr Strange as a character. If Dr Strange was the better movie I'd probably still prefer Black Panther because I'm biased and love the character. But yea my theater i got to is nice as he'll has beautiful Atmos surround sound. But I can imagine audio problems being upsetting. I went to a different theater last Friday to watch BP one more time and the movie kept freezing. They wouldn't even give us our money back just a pass to see another movie there at another time.

Not sure I buy this. There were also signs pointing to Justice League being bigger than Black Panther turned out to be. The suggestion that you can read tea leaves and make informed guesses about the future on this level is reaching. There were many signs that it would be a successful movie, but there were also many signs that would it would be "average successful," as Marvel movies go. It was a solo movie. It had no guest appearances from other heroes. It was a debut movie (notwithstanding the significant role in Civil War; Black Panther turned out to be a debut movie for Wakanda as much as for the title character). Certainly Marvel didn't foresee this sort of performance, or it wouldn't have released the film in February - a completely untested and unprecedented month for blockbusters.

A year ago a rival studio would have been completely justified in assuming this movie might do a little better than Doctor Strange, and the weekend 5 weeks out from Black Panther's release would be "safe."

And, to be perfectly honest, a better movie than A Wrinkle In Time would have stood up much better to Black Panther.
    I was suggesting that Black Panther is evidence that we may need to rethink the way we value internet traffic and social media as predictors for success. I remember being a shocked 18 year old when Snakes on a Plane didn't match the internet hype around it in terms of box office. That was a lesson that internet hype didn't translate to huge success. But that was over ten years ago and I think we're getting closer to being able to predict trends off of social media. I'm not saying that you can replicate Black Panther's success by getting something trending on Twitter. But when an organic hashtag emerges and dominates the landscape at a time when something else (Civil War) should have been the talking point, we might want to note that down as something that could become larger. I didn't predict that Black Panther would do what it did, but people did predict its success, based off of their reading of the data they saw. Data that many others (myself included) undervalued or wrote off at the time.

After seeing it for the 4th time, I have to say that alongside the story and characterization, its the aesthetics of the movie that keep me coming back. The score/cinematography/set design/costume design are magnificient. Ludwig Goransson should definately get a nod for best score during awards season. Its a very original viewing experience, especially when viewed in the context of the glut of CBM movies being pumped out (which I have no problem with).

This movie has insane rewatchability.

Also one thing that doesn't get mentioned is the BP character and mythos, which gave this movie has a solid foundation. That's one thing the MCU always excels at, sticking to the source material. Disney/Marvel did not compromise in the slightest, and it paid off.

Lightbulb Black Panther Is the US’ Top-Grossing Superhero Movie, Ever

Black Panther Is the US’ Top-Grossing Superhero Movie, Ever
    https://www.cbr.com/black-panther-to...perhero-movie/

Black Panther reached a total of $630 million domestically on Saturday — passing Avengers, the previous record holder at $623.4 million. Bringing inflation into account, Black Panther will have to earn approximately $676 million to overtake Marvel Studios first big team-up film. However, the King of Wakanda’s first outing has also now seemingly topped fellow Disney film Star Wars: The Last Jedi‘s domestic gross of $619.8 million.
    The global total for Black Panther is currently more than $1.2 billion, and the film is on track to pass Iron Man 3 ($1.214 billion) by the end of the weekend. When it does so, it will become the third highest-grossing superhero film globally, trailing behind only Avengers ($1.5 billion) and Avengers: Age of Ultron ($1.4 billion).

I wonder what will be the final theatrical tally?!

I also think the "Black Panther: Appreciation Thread" is the most viewed, non-stickyed, thread on this forum.

Clearly there is an untapped market that this movie served well.

Excelsior!

Daoud

Quote Originally Posted by Daoud View Post
    Black Panther Is the US’ Top-Grossing Superhero Movie, Ever
    https://www.cbr.com/black-panther-to...perhero-movie/

I wonder what will be the final theatrical tally?!

I also think the "Black Panther: Appreciation Thread" is the most viewed, non-stickyed, thread on this forum.

Clearly there is an untapped market that this movie served well.

Excelsior!

Daoud
    As a Tchalla fan boy this is surreal. Long live the King!

I'm still in awe of how much money this has made. Love T'Challa (he's easily my second fave superhero), thought the movie was pretty good, but this box office gross is incredible. So glad to see this great character and mythos are being so heavily appreciated by the public.

Quote Originally Posted by MsAngel View Post
    I'm still in awe of how much money this has made. Love T'Challa (he's easily my second fave superhero), thought the movie was pretty good, but this box office gross is incredible. So glad to see this great character and mythos are being so heavily appreciated by the public.
    Is Carol your favorite then? Because hopefully she makes gangbusters too next year. I saw an article state Jude Law as Mar-Vell as part of the cast lik3 it was a fact not a rumor. Is that confirmed?

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Is Carol your favorite then? Because hopefully she makes gangbusters too next year. I saw an article state Jude Law as Mar-Vell as part of the cast lik3 it was a fact not a rumor. Is that confirmed?
    She is, yes. I do hope her movie does well but I'm not getting my hopes up. It all depends on how much interest the first trailer gets. This article? Jude Law was stated to be playing Mar-Vell in this press release from Variety, though I have no other proof.
    Last edited by MsAngel; 03-24-2018 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MsAngel View Post
    She is, yes. I do hope her movie does well but I'm not getting my hopes up. It all depends on how much interest the first trailer gets. This article? Jude Law was stated to be playing Mar-Vell in this press release from Variety, though I have no other proof.
    Yea I hope we get a trailer with antman and the wasp
    It was one of those dumb what we know So far articles on Yahoo. Listed Bree Larson,Jude Law,Ben Mandelson, and the girl from She's got to have it who just dropped out as confirmed cast. I'll try to find the article but I trust Variety 100x more then some Yahoo click bait article.