Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Black panther just beat avengers and is now the highest grossing comic book movie of all time in America and 3rd worldwide! It's also the 5th highest grossing movie of all time in america!

That's insane!
    And it's still widening its trendline over Avengers. Sales are flattening less quickly than Avengers.

Capture.jpg

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    And it's still widening its trendline over Avengers. Sales are flattening less quickly than Avengers.

Capture.jpg
    I am no longer surprised. In the summer of 1981, I hid from my mother the amount of money I blew to see Raiders of the Lost Ark eight times. Its been a long time, but I still remember what it's like to see a film where you lose yourself in pretending to be the lead. I imagine that's been happening alot lately.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 03-30-2018 at 06:55 AM.

What is left to be said about Black Panther that hasn't been said already? Congratulations again to all those involved in making this movie a tremendous success.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Black panther just beat avengers and is now the highest grossing comic book movie of all time in America and 3rd worldwide! It's also the 5th highest grossing movie of all time in america!

That's insane!

Is that the 5th highest grossing without taking ticket price inflation into consideration or with taking ticket price inflation into consideration? If you think about it, it would be apropos and hilarious if it was "Black Panther" that finally toppled "Gone with the Wind" from the position of number one biggest movie of all-time. But it has to be adjusted for ticket price inflation to ever be valid.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I'm just dismayed that Avengers is at that age now that today's movies compared to it have to be "adjusted for inflation."

We're getting old, ya'll.
    I'm dismayed that ticket prices are increasing that fast.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    The big spectacle film's I see in 3d Dfx Atmos at my local therater it's about 16bucks a head. But it's worth it for those Luxury theaters. Don't miss cramped stadium seating in theaters.

When it's all said and done, some sort of inflation factor estimate is the best criteria of popularity in their time. Whether that's ticket price inflation or general inflation is debatable.
    Not necessarily, especially when you factor in increasing competition for modern theatrical movies like a far greater amount of streaming content and VOD than there was in 2012. Even if ticket prices go up, competitive media grows for cinematic movies, bringing the playing field for older movies vs. new movies to more even ground than inflation considers.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Not necessarily, especially when you factor in increasing competition for modern theatrical movies like a far greater amount of streaming content and VOD than there was in 2012. Even if ticket prices go up, competitive media grows for cinematic movies, bringing the playing field for older movies vs. new movies to more even ground than inflation considers.
    Yes there are literally hundreds of ways of measuring things but like-for-like sales is the normal measure of comparable success, and the standard in finance. The relative success of cinema compared to other media is not something we are trying to measure, especially as some of these have no metrics we can use. If one wanted to use a percentage of total cinema sales metric then that would be possible, but a total percentage of every form of entertainment is impossible.

Ticket prices are not increasing as fast as general inflation because less people are going to the cinema as a trend. This is precisely why I am more interested in using a national inflation metric and not a ticket price metric. The true measure of success for a movie for me is whether the studio is making a profit, not how many people see it. For others that is different, most charts are based on unit sales, which is not something I care about.

—-

While we consider intangibles, the release window is very small for this movie, with DVD and Blu-Ray expected in May. That certainly isn’t comparable with Avengers and may inform cinema decisions. I wonder if this schedule was drawn up before the surprise sales figures. I would like to think they will rethink this still unconfirmed date.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 03-27-2018 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Yes there are literally hundreds of ways of measuring things but like-for-like sales is the normal measure of comparable success, and the standard in finance. The relative success of cinema compared to other media is not something we are trying to measure, especially as some of these have no metrics we can use. If one wanted to use a percentage of total cinema sales metric then that would be possible, but a total percentage of every form of entertainment is impossible.
    Which is why inflation adjustments are pointless. They are hypothetical and incapable of considering the umpteen number of external volatile factors that affect a particular film's success or failure during a particular period of time and under a particular set of circumstances.

Talking Black Panther No. 1 again.

I think it should be noted that, 6 days after being knocked from the number one domestic daily revenue by "Pacific Rim 2", Black Panther regained the top spot on Wednesday March 28 for what may be its last time.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/c...8-03-28&p=.htm

"Ready Player One" and a host of new movies are coming but I think BP still has legs and am interested how long it will play in the theaters.

Excelsior!

Daoud
    Last edited by Daoud; 03-29-2018 at 07:51 PM. Reason: added link

Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 03-30-2018 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    I definitely will!

The thing that I like best about the Black Panther movie is how it has accomplished pretty much EVERYTHING, all the goals, that Lee, Kirby, Don McGregor and Christopher Priest set out for the character.

And speaking of success, how much bigger can it get? What's Ryan Coogler going to do to follow this? Is Avengers: Infinity War going to be able to follow in Panther's shadow? The bar is now very, very high. Good for all the Marvel creators, I say.

Boisterously Confused

Question for those that know something about what's what in Hollywood these days. Are there any indications of studios trying to cash in on the audience BP brought to the theater?

After any smash, seems like there's a rush to produce anything that can scoop some of the floodwaters. A lot of times it's seemed like there wasn't even any interest in whether it was good (I'm looking at you Battle Beyond the Stars), just get something similar out there. NOW!

I'd be stunned if that weren't the case with BP.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Question for those that know something about what's what in Hollywood these days. Are there any indications of studios trying to cash in on the audience BP brought to the theater?

After any smash, seems like there's a rush to produce anything that can scoop some of the floodwaters. A lot of times it's seemed like there wasn't even any interest in whether it was good (I'm looking at you Battle Beyond the Stars), just get something similar out there. NOW!

I'd be stunned if that weren't the case with BP.
    What else is there though really. Black panther is pretty unique and more so Wakanda. I wouldn't be surprised if more black superhero movies get green lit faster. Maybe rush that new Spawn movie into production. Maybe try Steel again and make John Stewart the focus of the green lantern corps movies if it still gets made. Maybe marvel will feel more emboldened to make Sam the next Cap and have him take center stage in future Avnegers movies. But as far as copy cats it's a very specific movie. If you just made your own version of Wakanda and your own Monarch people would see right through it. A Space Opera is specific but not as specific as as Afrofuturis superhero movies in a almost magical land in Africa.

I do think movies that would a been called too black for mass appeal in the past will now get they're fair chance. I hope atleast

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    I definitely will!

The thing that I like best about the Black Panther movie is how it has accomplished pretty much EVERYTHING, all the goals, that Lee, Kirby, Don McGregor and Christopher Priest set out for the character.
    I'm glad you said it. McGregor doesn't get enough love for his influence on the movie, something that Priest and Coates have also expressed.

Somebody pay the man.