Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Double toasted did a podcast talking about reviews from Chinese critics and it sounded like they weren't fond of how black the movie was. Anyone know if there's is any truth too that or did they just see a couple racist reviews and act like that was the consensus amongstChinese critics? I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for China critics. The movie did have posters over there with Tchallas mask on instead of off like ours. So I'm curious what the reviews were like but the fact it did that well in China is still enouraging to me tjough.
    I did not find any reviews. But audience reviews has not been kind. In fact, they are quite controversial. They have an IMDB like platform called Douban. It is sitting at 6.7 there. I checked the site. It does not look so good even when it earned that much money in its opening weekend.

I won't call a handful of user reviews which is translated from Chinese as the representative of all. So i looked it up a bit. It does not look so good. I think it will do okay to good business. Like most MCU films do. It has already made 70 million. But better stop hoping for something like 150-200 million like earnings.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-14-2018 at 02:32 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    Yeah I think it will do as well in China as the other Marvel films if not better. Definitely nowhere near horrible.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    I did not find any reviews. But audience reviews has not been kind. In fact, they are quite controversial. They have an IMDB like platform called Douban. It is sitting at 6.7 there. I checked the site. It does not look so good even when it earned that much money in its opening weekend.

I won't call a handful of user reviews which is translated from Chinese as the representative of all. So i looked it up a bit. It does not look so good. I think it will do okay to good business. Like most MCU films do. It has already made 70 million. But better stop hoping for something like 150-200 million like earnings.
    I wouldn't be surprised if there were racist reviews, but something to note is that Chinese ppl can be pretty crass.

For instance, once upon a time when I visited my Chinese family friends in Paris, and we were sitting in a car looking for an empty parking space with my friend's mom driving. Then right after my friend sticks his head out the window to look, his mom says (in Chinese): "What the hell are you doing? Are you stupid or something, why stick your head out of the window? Do you think that people would even want to see that ugly face of yours on display like that? Sit down. Sheesh! I don't know how I gave birth to a kid as stupid as you."

I'm pretty sure that the entire Western world would consider this verbal abuse, but for us this is normal.

It's pretty well-explained in
    http://www.bbc.com/news/av/magazine-...ude-stereotype

So I'm not surprised that the comments come off as harsh.

Extraordinary Member

A more positive outlook from Chinese audiences.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    A more positive outlook from Chinese audiences.
    Well I am glad to hear the folks in China like the movie. I known China isn't that fond to black folks (from what I heard) with many having negative and outlandish opinions like some there think blacks are cannibals and they dislike black features and prefer caucasian features.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    Well I am glad to hear the folks in China like the movie. I known China isn't that fond to black folks (from what I heard) with many having negative and outlandish opinions like some there think blacks are cannibals and they dislike black features and prefer caucasian features.
    I hear different things, I'm sure there are some racist ppl over there. But this is just a counterpoint to a lot of what we've been hearing.

Its probably more an unfamiliarity thing rather than all-out racism. Much of what we see in America is the same, by the way, white people living in white neighborhoods, working with white people, and shopping at white places. Its why we integrate forcefully, in part.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    As far as I know, the disliking of dark features was due to the old days when the lower class would spend their time working the fields and thus spend most of their time in the sun, resulting in darker skin. However, the nobility and all of that could stay inside, so they would remain fairly light-skinned. So the color of the skin basically acts as an indicator for the social status.

Glad to see some things have changed then and those rumors are kinda false about China and black people.

Lightbulb ‘Black Panther’ Set to Beat ‘Tomb Raider’ in Rare Box Office Five-Peat

‘Black Panther’ Set to Beat ‘Tomb Raider’ in Rare Box Office Five-Peat

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/bl...er-1202728925/

If Black Panther wins this weekend, it will be the first movie to be No. 1 at the box office for 5 weeks in a row since Avatar came out in 2009!

BP has made over 1.1 Billion in just 5 weeks!

I've loved the character and Wakanda since Reginald Hudlin's outstanding comic series!
    I'm pleased to see the movie doing so well.

Excelsior!

Daoud

Quote Originally Posted by Daoud View Post

If Black Panther wins this weekend, it will be the first movie to be No. 1 at the box office for 5 weeks in a row since Avatar came out in 2009!

I've loved the character and Wakanda since Reginald Hudlin's outstanding comic series!

Excelsior!

Daoud
    Spectacular!!!

I thought there was a chance of this happening. But i didn't think it is happening. Long live T'Challa. Wakanda Forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Daoud View Post

Excelsior!

Daoud
    That's amazing I mean it's a good movie but not 5 weeks in a row good in my opinion.

Estimates are in, and Black Panther took the #1 spot for a fifth weekend in a row, becoming the first to do that feat since Avatar in 2009. It also is the 7th film to cross the $600m domestic mark with an estimated $605m, continuing a weird trend where every film that has crossed $550m has also crossed $600m. It also crossed $600m the second fastest of the seven films, behind The Force Awakens.

Fastest to $600m
    1. The Force Awakens - 12 days
    2. Black Panther - 31 days
    3. Jurassic World - 36 days
    4. The Last Jedi - 37 days
    5. Avengers - 54 days
    6. Avatar - 47 days
    7. Titanic - 252 days

It should pass both The Last Jedi and The Avengers on the all-time domestic by the end of next weekend, or earlier, depending on how the weekdays leg out with Spring Breaks.

It also increased its Worldwide total to an estimated $1.182 billion, passing Captain America: Civil War ($1.153b) and Minions ($1.159b) for the 14th spot on the All-Time Worldwide list. Next up are Iron Man 3 ($1.215b) and The Fate of the Furious ($1.236b). It should pass Iron Man 3 by the end of next weekend, which would make it the highest solo superhero film (debut or otherwise) of all time.

On the all-time domestic (adjusted) charts, it has leapt into the top 50 at the #47 spot above American Graffiti ($603.3m adjusted) and below Airport ($606.9m adjusted). By the end of next weekend it will have snagged the 40th spot on the chart. The only other superhero films it has in front of it are:

29 Marvel's The Avengers - $705,769,500
    31 The Dark Knight - $683,575,000
    38 Spider-Man - $637,870,000

Spider-Man is a lock at this point, but I do think that Black Panther will fall short of the other two with around $665m domestic (which would be good for the #3 spot on the unadjusted chart).

Extraordinary Member

I think it kinda sucks BP isn't gonna get the lengthy theater run as some other comic book movies it's definitely earned it.. Not sure why they're rushing to IW so quick.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I think it kinda sucks BP isn't gonna get the lengthy theater run as some other comic book movies it's definitely earned it.. Not sure why they're rushing to IW so quick.
    I'm not sure what you mean. Most MCU films get 19-20 weeks in theaters. Thor: Ragnarok was still in theaters last week. Black Panther isn't going to leave theaters just because Infinity War is out. Moving Infinity War up a week got it further away from Deadpool 2 and Solo, which are both going to eat at its legs. It also will help it capitalize on Black Panther's money as BP will likely just be exiting the top 10 as IW opens (and it might still be there).