Page 23 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Why all the complaints about one Avengers book? Bendis era spoiled us all.
    Because lots of characters that deserve more the spotlight in the team than the boring trinity, Strange, GR and the boring BC Avengers are going to limbo. If there could be another Avengers book for them there would be less complains. And there have been more than one Avengers even before Bendis (West Coast Avengers for example).

Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

Deserves more spotlight is really something I don't agree with. But we all have our favorites.

I think the characters here deserve the spotlight. They deserved to be used somewhere. But a lot of others do too. The problem is not with this team in itself, is the fact that it's the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Unspeakable Evil View Post
    Deserves more spotlight is really something I don't agree with. But we all have our favorites.
    The trinity, Panther and Strange and probably Carol already have their solo ongoings announceds where they can get development. Their place in Avengers is wated for those that are classic and wouldn't get an ongoing. Janet, Wanda, Vision, Clint, Hank, etc have been more Avengers than almost the current lineup. Avengers were never about the trinity, it was about the rest.
    Last edited by Johnrevenge; 02-21-2018 at 01:31 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I would note again that since most of these characters have their own books, they're already getting the spotlight, so this is kind of a double-dip. So even though this is being billed as a return to "classic" Avengers after Waid's All-New All-Different version, they're really the same: an Avengers lineup of characters who already have solo comics and can be found elsewhere.

Edited for overlapping too much with other posts
    Last edited by gurkle; 02-21-2018 at 01:37 PM.

Quicksilver's getting his own book.
    https://www.cbr.com/quicksilver-no-s...nce-exclusive/

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Kind of surprised we're getting this now instead of, like, around when Age of Ultron premiered.

Extraordinary Member

Well, Ahmed's a good writer and he's got to be able to improve on Pietro's '90s series.

That announcement also shows they're continuing one of the better recent trends, announcing limited series in advance as limited series, instead of announcing ongoings that can't possibly last more than 5-6 issues anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Kind of surprised we're getting this now instead of, like, around when Age of Ultron premiered.
    Remember that was during the time when characters whose movie rights were owned by Fox, or even shared with Fox, were being de-emphasized.

James Robinson managed to get the Scarlet Witch a book because he pushed for it, but there were apparently no plans for such a book before he pitched it.

There seemed to be a thaw on this even before the Fox-Disney deal happened.
    Last edited by gurkle; 02-21-2018 at 01:55 PM.

That's great! It's a 5 issue long mini series but I'm still happy about it

SOLD! If Ahmed's as good as I've heard this will be amazing.
    The Sidekicks Podcast made by comics newbies, for comics newbies.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I think the characters here deserve the spotlight. They deserved to be used somewhere. But a lot of others do too. The problem is not with this team in itself, is the fact that it's the only one.
    Yeah that's the problem. Cap, Tony, Thor, and Carol constantly show up in other books as it is, and are constantly used. Black Panther also shows up quite a lot, and all of them (plus Dr. Strange) also have their own solos where they can be "spot-lighted." So it's an annoying case of "double-dipping." Meanwhile you have all these others characters who don't have their own books and aren't used as much who could use these spots, but they're not given the chance.

Also the obvious MCU-synergy (even Robbie was on Agents of SHIELD) aspect of it is noticeable and irritating. AND having only one book just inherently limits character and storytelling options, as well as variety. It's automatically more underwhelming for me just for that.

Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

I'm honestly in a state of shock. After all these years of being stepped on and trashed, Pietro Maximoff is finally being paid his due. Or at least this doesn't look to be character assassination, but the beginning of character development. It's far more than I expected from Marvel in years.

Love this line up. I'm excited.

Let's address this "deserve the spotlight" nonsense.

The characters are not going anywhere. Marvel are probably not going to reduce the number of books they produce or the number of team books. Marvel have to use the characters on a regular basis anyway. Just becuse the book has Avengers on the cover doesn't mean that the characters are in the spotlight. Quite the contrary the Avengers brand has barely ever supported more than two books, and often only supported one. The rest have languished in relative obscurity far from any imaginary spotlight.

The days when a high profile writer has wanted to write two key Avengers books seem to be over.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 02-21-2018 at 03:41 PM.