Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I'm not instantly WOW'd by the animation, need to see more perhaps if it will grow on me. At least it isn't that rubbish that was the Thundercats debacle.
    Still not sold on that Aquaman cartoon on HBO max either, but I digress.
    However, I also realize I'm not the target audience. Hope it does appeal to that age bracket.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Is the Kirby Family getting royalties fro yet another of his creations they are using for the screen?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Is the Kirby Family getting royalties fro yet another of his creations they are using for the screen?
    Um....good question.

So glad the weird IPs are coming AKA my bread & butter.

"Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Having watched this trailer, I think this will be a great cartoon for preschoolers. Alas, not the Devil Dinosaur and MoonBOY or Moongirl I would want to see.
    Power with Girl is better.

First episode.

Mighty Member

I watched the first 6 episodes of this and it was pretty enjoyable. Although, it is not like the comic series, which I also liked I'll say Moongirl is more likable.

The animation is good and especially the fight scenes, but the stand out for this show has to be the music.

Diamond White - Moon Girl Magic

Glad to hear that they are already working on season 2.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    I watched the first 6 episodes of this and it was pretty enjoyable. Although, it is not like the comic series, which I also liked I'll say Moongirl is more likable.

The animation is good and especially the fight scenes, but the stand out for this show has to be the music.

Glad to hear that they are already working on season 2.
    The good old independent and fresh start of an adaptation.

It certainly helps that the show doesn't need to squeeze itself into a universe with allready 60+ years of continuity and with thousands of established characters around or having to follow editorial mandates because of internal strife over movie rights.

No random and sudden death for a character named Moon Boy who had been Devil Dinosaurs original friend for decades of publishing, so Lunella can have him as sidekick instead.
    No need to hype up Lunella as "the smartest person in the marvel universe", potentialy insulting fans of other more established super smart marvel characters.
    No need to make her an Inhuman, because of an ill fated push to replace the X-gene Mutants as random source of super powers and allowing her to be purely a teen genius inventor.
    No need to explain what Inhumans are in first place, how they relate to the Kree, who the Kree are, why there is a device they left behind to bring Devil to the modern day, why people are randomly related to the Inhumans and why there is a green cloud floating around Earth that activates their Inhuman heritage super powers.

And of course being able to adjust the personality of the character.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    The good old independent and fresh start of an adaptation.

It certainly helps that the show doesn't need to squeeze itself into a universe with allready 60+ years of continuity and with thousands of established characters around or having to follow editorial mandates because of internal strife over movie rights.

No random and sudden death for a character named Moon Boy who had been Devil Dinosaurs original friend for decades of publishing, so Lunella can have him as sidekick instead.
    No need to hype up Lunella as "the smartest person in the marvel universe", potentialy insulting fans of other more established super smart marvel characters.
    No need to make her an Inhuman, because of an ill fated push to replace the X-gene Mutants as random source of super powers and allowing her to be purely a teen genius inventor.
    No need to explain what Inhumans are in first place, how they relate to the Kree, who the Kree are, why there is a device they left behind to bring Devil to the modern day, why people are randomly related to the Inhumans and why there is a green cloud floating around Earth that activates their Inhuman heritage super powers.

And of course being able to adjust the personality of the character.
    The character's personality in the comics was great...and she's great in this too.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    The character's personality in the comics was great...and she's great in this too.
    Hence using the term "adjust" rather than "improve" or "fix".

The other aspects however i still consider detrimental for the comic version to easily stand on it's own (at least for the earliest issues), since it involves far too much of the wider Marvel universe at the time, including a very specific and now very dated state of things. Something the cartoon wisely avoided.

There is a reason why most of the great and successfull Marvel comic heros have origin stories which can easily be summed up quickly and told in a bubble without leaving important parts out, something i feel isn't the case with comic Moon Girl.

And that's the beauty of adaptation if done right.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    I would suggest those fans get over it.

Because at the end of the day it doesn't matter unless those fans are THAT insecure.

I only watched the trailer, but particularly considering the show is aimed at kids, why is she older in the show?

IIRC, isn't she like 8 in the comics? And 13 in the show?
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

I watched the first episode. It was fairly entertaining and I can see why people would like it. I certain like the main character better in animation than I do in the comic, but it's not really my thing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I would suggest those fans get over it.

Because at the end of the day it doesn't matter unless those fans are THAT insecure.
    True.

Though it was also a bad choice of words on my part, as result of a rushed attempt to list issues the show wisely avoids.

It doesn't really match what the potential problem is with how the "smartest person in the marvel universe" title can be recieved by an audience, when existing in comparison to longer established "genius" characters with decades of publishing and earned achievements.

While some might have potentialy been "insulted" by their favored characters being used as lower ends on a measuring stick to hype up a brand new character, the more common negative reaction towards it was annoyance over such as blatant and cheap percieved attempt to push said character at the detriment of more established/popular ones.

It's a shortcut which can feel like a character gets something for doing nothing but being new and has been a problematic choice to push them in the recent years. Akin to too many brand new character being shown lifting Mjolnir.

But yes, being "insulted" over it would be a rather strong reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    I only watched the trailer, but particularly considering the show is aimed at kids, why is she older in the show?

IIRC, isn't she like 8 in the comics? And 13 in the show?
    Perhaps it offers a wider bandwith of themes, character arcs, social interactions and storylines the show can explore this way?
    Last edited by Grunty; 03-13-2023 at 06:58 AM.

I survived Norrin getting taken out by an armbar, I'm sure other geeks will be fine.

Show is cute and fun. My girls love it and are reading my Moon Boy now. I love the humor.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium